• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:


    We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.



    For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Package Version Mismatch (On some maps only)

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
So, I flashed my PC and reinstalled Windows, I then set up the server again. Luckily, I kept my modified .ini filies that follow every single thing the TWI Wiki says (before this reinstallation, I had absolutely 0 problem with my server, ZERO). However now, my server refuses to load several customs maps (most namely Dive to the Heart, Beach Invasion, et cetera). I have no idea why...

I've:
- Double, triple and quadruple checked the PCServer-KFEngine. [OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.KFWorkshopSteamworks] is there, and all of my maps are being perfectly downloaded and subbed to the server (there are no errors in the Steam CMD saying that a map had an issue or something). I also made sure that the IpDrv has the Steam Workshop as a Download Manager.
- Deleted the KFGAME cache folder in the server, then learned the hard way that this does nothing at all... So....
- Binaries\Win64\steamapps\workshop\content was completely erased, same thing with appworkshop_232090.acf, then closed Steam since the CMD is bugged and won't update/download maps when Steam is online. Redownloaded every single map...
- Still won't let me download some servers. Checked PCServer - KFGame, and made sure EVERY SINGLE MAP from the cache folder shared the same name with the maps I added to the cycle and the ones in my Web Admin.
- Lastly, I erased my local "My Documents" KF Cache folder to no avail. Not even my friend can join, and we both have that map.

I am starting to lose my patience, what the heck can I do? I have absolutely no idea how to work around this issue anymore. Nothing I do seems to work, and it makes no sense whatsoever that some maps work, while others don't.
 

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
Almost three months and no replies, thanks for bothering Tripwire! Awesome to know you care about your community and your game. Gotta get those moneys first, right?
 

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
deckardblade;n2332836 said:
Can you post your log file?
What log file? It's just 10 or so exact maps that produce this particular error with no reason whatsoever. Dive_To_The_Heart, NewArcadeShopping, NachUndertoten and Rooftop (to name a few) are some of the problematic ones, which is a pretty small number coming from a 120 map server. Still, none of the other threads I've read so far require a log file.
 

deckardblade

Member
Jan 16, 2011
168
4
18
Chicago, US
The launch.log in KFGame\Logs. There could be a workshop error or something else that provides some insight as to the cause of the problem. Most folks post them to pastebin or something similar for review.
 

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
deckardblade;n2332838 said:
The launch.log in KFGame\Logs. There could be a workshop error or something else that provides some insight as to the cause of the problem. Most folks post them to pastebin or something similar for review.
As you requested, here you go.

https://pastebin.com/SZyxsaap

I waited for the CMD to do one full check for every single Workshop thing it has to download, even the ones that don't work.
 

deckardblade

Member
Jan 16, 2011
168
4
18
Chicago, US
I don't see any errors with the maps, e.g. RoofTop. Did this include trying to load one of the maps that gives you a version mismatch? Also, have you checked to see if the map files are the same in both locations? E.g. \kf2server\Binaries\Win64\steamapps\workshop\content\ and \kf2server\KFGame\Cache ? For the ones you're having issues with.
 

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
deckardblade;n2332870 said:
I don't see any errors with the maps, e.g. RoofTop. Did this include trying to load one of the maps that gives you a version mismatch? Also, have you checked to see if the map files are the same in both locations? E.g. \kf2server\Binaries\Win64\steamapps\workshop\content\ and \kf2server\KFGame\Cache ? For the ones you're having issues with.
Yeah! Erased EVERYTHING. Made another server from scratch and copy-pasted the KF-Engine options to load stuff from the Workshop, then added the same Workshop items and I only have issues with said particular maps, which is why I am so flabbergasted at this error! Dive_To_The_Heart used to work FLAWLESSLY. I even tried that Steam Workshop .dll fix I read in the other thread, but that didn't help at all.

It is extremely weird that 90% of the maps work, but those maps don't and they still have Workshop pages, so they haven't been taken down. Trying to access them while having the map subscribed on my client works, but I don't want that, or else those who don't have the map won't be able to play with me.

As I said in the OP, I also erased EVERY single thing from the cache, the .vdf files, EVERYTHING to try and download everything again, but those are the only maps giving me said error.
 

deckardblade

Member
Jan 16, 2011
168
4
18
Chicago, US
Since it's such a few amount, check the two locations to see if the permissions are the same compared to the working maps on the directories. The Drive map has a workshop ID of 770316991. It'd be nice to see what the log looks like when launching that map if possible. I'm running a few of the maps you're having issues with so it shouldn't be a workshop issue.
 

®omano

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
4,061
185
63
France
www.hellsoldiers.tk
I don't understand how on a fresh server this issue could arise, it is like, not possible. Server downloads from workshop, client downloads same file from workshop.

Another issue could be the workshop download is not properly configured, and the main download manager is the HTTP download, and it download an outdated file from a redirect server, leading in a miss match in the end. (edit: and to confirm that, check your client log file, and your cache folder to find the last modified file and see their name and location, workshop items will have subfolders, http downloads will be directly in Cache folder with weird name)

Do you use workshop only, and/or did you remove the HTTP download manager if not in use (or place it AFTER the workshop download manager if you use both?)

I can try your workshop map if you list them, but I'm pretty sure it will work properly and your issue is more a misconfiguration on your side.

edit: Something else could be an issue in your local (and your friends) Steam installation, an issue with the cached workshop items, because like the server, did you know you have two copies of workshop files? There's also a cache in Steam folder Steam/steamapps/workshop/content that will be copied over if you delete My Games/Killing Floor 2/Cache so maybe make sure to clean it too as it will copy the problematic files again if you simply delete the files from my games.

edit2: also it is well known that running dedicated server + Steam + the game on same machine is going to create issues, especially if you add workshop on top of that (and this is true for MANY games out there).
 
Last edited:

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
deckardblade;n2332892 said:
Since it's such a few amount, check the two locations to see if the permissions are the same compared to the working maps on the directories. The Drive map has a workshop ID of 770316991. It'd be nice to see what the log looks like when launching that map if possible. I'm running a few of the maps you're having issues with so it shouldn't be a workshop issue.
As requested, log when I load Dive_To_The_Heart. I loaded a couple of maps first (16-Stacks erroneously as an Objective map due to a misclick).
https://pastebin.com/esZ4C0xE
And yes, they have the same permissions.

omano;n2332896 said:
I don't understand how on a fresh server this issue could arise, it is like, not possible. Server downloads from workshop, client downloads same file from workshop.

Another issue could be the workshop download is not properly configured, and the main download manager is the HTTP download, and it download an outdated file from a redirect server, leading in a miss match in the end. (edit: and to confirm that, check your client log file, and your cache folder to find the last modified file and see their name and location, workshop items will have subfolders, http downloads will be directly in Cache folder with weird name)

Do you use workshop only, and/or did you remove the HTTP download manager if not in use (or place it AFTER the workshop download manager if you use both?)

I can try your workshop map if you list them, but I'm pretty sure it will work properly and your issue is more a misconfiguration on your side.

edit: Something else could be an issue in your local (and your friends) Steam installation, an issue with the cached workshop items, because like the server, did you know you have two copies of workshop files? There's also a cache in Steam folder Steam/steamapps/workshop/content that will be copied over if you delete My Games/Killing Floor 2/Cache so maybe make sure to clean it too as it will copy the problematic files again if you simply delete the files from my games.

edit2: also it is well known that running dedicated server + Steam + the game on same machine is going to create issues, especially if you add workshop on top of that (and this is true for MANY games out there).
The redirect is simply not possible because I have no idea how to run that, and I've always downloaded directly from the Workshop. Well, the other maps download just great from the Workshop with no problems.

The download section of KF-Engine.

https://pastebin.com/QnuM6FB1

The entirety of my Workshop download list on KF-Engine:

https://pastebin.com/VPtBc57J

I did all of that in the OP.

I ran the SteamCMD server without Steam or the game on to make sure everything downloaded and updated appropriately.
 

®omano

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
4,061
185
63
France
www.hellsoldiers.tk
What I meant is maybe your Steam client and game cause an issue with workshop globally because of everything running on the same machine. In a perfect world it shouldn't.

From what I see the HTTP download manager is in the correct position in the file.
If you didn't add the redirect server address manually in your KFEngine.ini then server has no default redirect server configured.

Can you give the IDs of problematic maps only or give the direct workshop links? I'm not adding that much items on my server sorry, just the problematic ones would do fine.

Also can you give your server info if it is not private to try to join it and see what happens for me?
 

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
omano;n2332902 said:
What I meant is maybe your Steam client and game cause an issue with workshop globally because of everything running on the same machine. In a perfect world it shouldn't.
I agree with you that here. I have more than enough machine to run both the Server, Steam and the game, but the Server tends to eat my RAM rather quickly.


omano;n2332902 said:
Can you give the IDs of problematic maps only or give the direct workshop links? I'm not adding that much items on my server sorry, just the problematic ones would do fine.

Also can you give your server info if it is not private to try to join it and see what happens for me?
Sure! Here you go:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158143366 - Nacht Der Undertoten
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1330067447 - RoofTop
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642499843 - NewArcadeShopping
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767211397 - Beach Invasion
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767211397 - Dive to the Heart (personal favorite)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767211397 - TF2 Badlands
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1590009407 - Alicia Madness Returns the House of Dolls
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1351746216 - ForestLodge
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135196603 - Jaywalker's Tunnel
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1565726152 - KF1 ForestHouse


Maybe 3 or 4 more but I can't remember, those are the ones that I know aren't working because I really liked those.

Server info... sure!

"open 192.168.1.11"

Just search for the maps in the list, type "suicide" so you can search for them faster.

The server is usually on most of the day (except for when I am sleeping).
 

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
omano;n2332905 said:
"open 192.168.1.11"

this is a local IP :D only you can access it. Nevermind I saw a log file up there I'll find it.
Right, my bad. Hope you can find it with that log file. Otherwise, please do tell me where I can paste the actual external IP. Silly me, should've realized.
 

deckardblade

Member
Jan 16, 2011
168
4
18
Chicago, US
It looks like it's advertising the server/map when you select Drive_To_The_Heart. Does it crash and then start running biotics lab/default map? Or does it only crash/version mismatch when you or someone tries to join?

If you have the resources you could just run the server in a VM on your desktop, that'd eliminate any issues with having the steam client and server running together.
 
Last edited:

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
deckardblade;n2332913 said:
It looks like it's advertising the server/map when you select Drive_To_The_Heart. Does it crash and then start running biotics lab/default map? Or does it only crash/version mismatch when you or someone tries to join?

If you have the resources you could just run the server in a VM on your desktop, that'd eliminate any issues with having the steam client and server running together.
Oh no no, it doesn't crash. The server runs Dive_To_The_Heart just perfectly. It crashes for us players, giving us a "Error, package mismatch" or something like that. The server keeps running Dive until I manually change it to something else. I erased my own Cache and all, even uninstalled the game and reinstalled to no avail.
 

MrCheesedNipple

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 14, 2019
10
0
1
23
I think you can close this case. I started a new server (the fourth one so far) and, after receiving "Item state is 8" for 2 hours in a row (even while having the game AND Steam turned off in my PC), the CMD started properly downloading the Workshop items, including the broken maps. Everything is working just nicely now. Don't ask me why this happened or why it only worked on the 4th time I made a new server.