• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Optional sight hood for k98

Optional sight hood for k98

• Yes, its essential

Votes: 129 60.3%
  • I'm happy with a permenant fixed hood :0)

Votes: 85 39.7%

• Total voters
Zbojnik said:
Ok, can someone fill me in here. I've shot the K98 before and they all had hoods. Would soldiers take them off the rifles for some reason? If so why?

The front site hoods became standard for the k98k in 1942. Rifles manufactured prior to 1942 would only have one if they were sent back for repairs. They were then suppose to be retrofitted for them, as they didn't have the grooves on the front site. I have read that soldiers who lost their front site hoods were severely disciplined, though I don't know how much truth is in that. They are fairly difficult to get off, and an major pain to get back on.

I have a Erma 1939 without and a dou 1942 with and I can say it is easier to shoot with them on. The hood blocks the sun and the shadow it creates makes it much easier to see and line up your sites correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally could live with or without them in the game. I prefer with but that's purely based on aesthetics. In reality though it doesn't affect the game play one bit and that's what is important. I've always wanted to see games such as RO have multiple models for the same weapon. Different stocks, different scratches and wear, and small missing parts such as lost site hoods or cleaning rods. Not that it would really affect the game in any way and it should be about as much of a priority as getting the correct belt size for the average Russian soldier in 1943. ;) Just would be one of those "that's cool" kind of thing.

Upvote 0
[RWTD]Burn[GKR] said:
I personally could live with or without them in the game. I prefer with but that's purely based on aesthetics. In reality though it doesn't affect the game play one bit and that's what is important. I've always wanted to see games such as RO have multiple models for the same weapon. Different stocks, different scratches and wear, and small missing parts such as lost site hoods or cleaning rods. Not that it would really affect the game in any way and it should be about as much of a priority as getting the correct belt size for the average Russian soldier in 1943. ;) Just would be one of those "that's cool" kind of thing.
Yeah it would be cool to have small variety for each gun, but i assume each different version would be handled by the game as a different gun, thus increasing net-traffic... the last thing we need.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
42% voting against realism? Cmon guys!
Perhaps it's not like that it's more along the lines of 42% of people voting that way because they want a hood, what else is there they could be voting for..

"not wasting time and effort on trivial **** that doesen't effect gameplay on a scale that makes changes worth the development time."

"voting against spending development time on **** that doesen't matter when there's a stack of things that seriously deserve attention that would actually improve the game as a whole before satisfying your visual needs"

Who knows!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gonzman said:
Perhaps it's not like that it's more along the lines of 42% of people voting that way because they don't want a hood, what else is there they could be voting for..

"not wasting time and effort on trivial **** that doesen't effect gameplay on a scale that makes changes worth the development time."

"voting against spending development time on **** that doesen't matter when there's a stack of things that seriously deserve attention that would actually improve the game as a whole before satisfying your visual needs"

Who knows!

Oh true true. I forgot that loading up the mauser model in a 3d modelling program and deleting a half-circle would take about 4 months of hard, dedicated development time.

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
And what would happen then? The screaming for "I WANT THE SIGHT HOOD BACK" would begin.

Optional sight hood would require a new gun class or an additional menu point "sight hood yes/no?". So there's more effort to it than the modeling. Better spent on fixing the bugs.

There isnt more effort to it if you just take it off and thats it.

Upvote 0
[RWTD]Burn[GKR] said:
The front site hoods became standard for the k98k in 1942. Rifles manufactured prior to 1942 would only have one if they were sent back for repairs. They were then suppose to be retrofitted for them, as they didn't have the grooves on the front site. I have read that soldiers who lost their front site hoods were severely disciplined, though I don't know how much truth is in that. They are fairly difficult to get off, and an major pain to get back on.

I have a Erma 1939 without and a dou 1942 with and I can say it is easier to shoot with them on. The hood blocks the sun and the shadow it creates makes it much easier to see and line up your sites correctly.
Thank you very much kind sir.

Upvote 0
of course I can leave with the hood but...:rolleyes:

I was used to the old mod-Kar sight (without hood). I was better with and prefer it over russian hooded weapon that also hide a bit your overall aiming view. Also quite embarrasing when target is moving.

But the old mod-Kar had also a bit different sight alignment. The point of the front part sight was exactly aligned with the rear part sight top border. How usefull it was ! Now the rear part sight didn't help that much to aim. U have to found where is the exact point of the front part sight. :confused:

The only advantage in Ostfront over mod is that your aim view is less obstructed by the rear part of the K98 sight.

Sry for bad english. Didn't know if i am clear.

I vote for an addition of a K98 without hood if not too complex for dev.

Upvote 0