• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Optimum Loadout for Support

ScarFace

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2009
Since the support has heaviest carrying capacity I'm wondering what you weapons you guys use to fill the last of his blocks? Obviously, everyone carries some combination of shottie/hunting shottie/and AA12. Assuming you don't use hunting and AA12 what weapon do you pick for the last spot and why?

I personally take the Scar. It's great for picking off clots and crawlers and not wasting those prescious shottie shells on them. I usually start off as commando get the Scar then switch to support so I'm not paying 2,500 for it.

Obviously, everyone carries some combination of shottie/hunting shottie/and AA12.
I don't. I usually just stick with Hunting until about wave 7 before I get the AA12. Both the shotguns do pretty much the same thing, so why have two?
I usually have a LAR to pick off lonesome clots and crawlers, then a Katana for when **** hits the fan. Sometimes even a chainsaw ;)

Upvote 0
Solo Suicidal: Shotgun + AA12
Group Suicidal: Shotgun or AA12 + Crossbow

In solo, I find support to dominate everything, from groups of specimen, to Fleshpounds and Scrakes. I find Shotgun + AA12 better than Hunting. The AA12 and the Hunting can both handle large groups and the larger specimen, however, the AA12 does so easier, and with less chance of being overwhelmed on reloads. The regular shotgun clears everything but Scrakes and Fleshpounds, which the AA12 handles easily. The AA12 is also a very good panic gun, if you fall behind on reloading. The Hunting is not, as if you don't clear everything on your first shot, you'll be stuck with the Hunting out, and never get the space to reload your shotgun. The Hunting also can't kill any large specimen without taking damage.

However, in group play, especially with 6 players, Support lacks the ammo AND damage to actually kill Scrakes and Fleshpounds. Not only that, but you'll actually run out of ammo of any combination of pure shotguns long before waves end, if you are pulling your weight. The crossbow is much better at killing Scrakes (2 shots vs 25! shots, 5% ammo use vs 25%! ammo use.) Not only that, but on most maps, very few specimen will actually get close to your group, making your short range weapons useless. So your role switches to long range support (Husks Sirens and Scrakes), with the ability to clear out groups if/when you get overwhelmed.

Upvote 0
I don't. I usually just stick with Hunting until about wave 7 before I get the AA12. Both the shotguns do pretty much the same thing, so why have two?
I usually have a LAR to pick off lonesome clots and crawlers, then a Katana for when **** hits the fan. Sometimes even a chainsaw ;)

You have 2 of them b/c they are perk enhanced...that's why. Personally I feel that the LAR is worthless w/o the sharpies reload bonus. You can kill clots and crawlers just fine with a 9mm, thus freeing up space for extra weapons.

Try the AA12 with hunting....its a nasty combo....weaken the big boys with AA12 until they charge (scrake) or rage (fp) and when they start after you pull out the hunting just 4 they get to you for maximum damage and let both barrels rip. Pretty much drops anything.

In my opinion using non-perk enhanced weapons over perk enhanced weapons is not a good choice. Which is why I made a post questioning as to why the commando has plus 35% reload on all weapons when after you carry scar and ak/pup you don't have any room left except for medic gun or katana? Sure its cool to reload the shotty really quickly but giving up the powers inherent in your perk enhanced weapon for a quicker reload isn't worth it.

Upvote 0
In my opinion using non-perk enhanced weapons over perk enhanced weapons is not a good choice.
There are at least two exception I can think of that are very obvious:

1. Crossbow- support and medic are the only two that really would bother carrying this other than SS because medic has low power regarless and support has room left over for other weapons.

2.Katana- not so much anymore but people used to carry this for scrake stunning and fall back weapon that takes up almost no space.

Upvote 0
In my opinion using non-perk enhanced weapons over perk enhanced weapons is not a good choice.
Then why do you use the Scar? Strange argument is strange. :D

I use a LAR for "picking off clots and crawlers and not wasting those prescious shottie shells on them." and if that's not a good choice, neither is yours.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then why do you use the Scar? Strange argument is strange. :D

I use a LAR for "picking off clots and crawlers and not wasting those prescious shottie shells on them." and if that's not a good choice, neither is yours.....

Dude...i use both shotties....i can't carry a third....hence why i as asking what do you use with the extra space. I'm not gonna leave that space open and NOT carry a weapon....I'm using every perk enhanced weapon that I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AA12
double barrel
MP7

I like that load out...never tried it.

What is the order with the medic and hunting as they are both assigned to number 4? What comes up first?

I know I like weakening the big guys with the AA12 and then dropping them with the hunting...but that would be hard to do if the medic came up before the hunting when you hit 4....

Upvote 0
but that would be hard to do if the medic came up before the hunting when you hit 4....
You could assign a button to pull out just the hunting shotgun. Don't quite remember the syntax but Bej-Bej posted about it a few times.

I usually run AA12 + Shotgun + whatever I pick up. It allows for extra money or space for scooping up a reserve weapon off the ground in a wave where a few people die.

Back before FP decap was removed shotgun + bullpup + katana for ultimate utility.

Upvote 0
I prefer to go just normal shotty and HS, sure the AA12 is good but the suports job is to...well... support. the HS is near useless against a scrake or FP but if the team fires at it for a while (lets say the SS misses) then by time it gets to the front line your HS will kill it and the game goes on without a break in lines.the support is a class that supports, they are not really good for charging in and killing everything, thats the flamers, commandos or SS job (because the SS is cheap)

I just stick with a normal shotgun and a HS anything else is kinda a waste. for the last round i get full ammo, drop my guns and buy a law. then when i run outa ammo i pick up my shotguns and shoot the patty from mid-range with the normal and the moment he comes into melee range, BAM patty spank (with HS).

not saying that the scar, katana or the deagles are the bad weapons, its just that the support really doesn't need to use them. if you have enough money to buy those things you should prolly start sharing your cash

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I prefer to go just normal shotty and HS, sure the AA12 is good but the suports job is to...well... support. the HS is near useless against a scrake or FP but if the team fires at it for a while (lets say the SS misses) then by time it gets to the front line your HS will kill it and the game goes on without a break in lines.the support is a class that supports, they are not really good for charging in and killing everything, thats the flamers, commandos or SS job (because the SS is cheap)

I just stick with a normal shotgun and a HS anything else is kinda a waste. for the last round i get full ammo, drop my guns and buy a law. then when i run outa ammo i pick up my shotguns and shoot the patty from mid-range with the normal and the moment he comes into melee range, BAM patty spank (with HS).

not saying that the scar, katana or the deagles are the bad weapons, its just that the support really doesn't need to use them. if you have enough money to buy those things you should prolly start sharing your cash

Personally I'd rather die than use the law.

Also I completely disagree that the HS is worthless against a scrake. Regular shottie or AA12 him til he charges and right b4 he gets to u both barrells of the HS will kill him EVERY time. I don't call that worthless.

Upvote 0