• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

On the issue of sound

Unus Offa Unus Nex

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
Imagine the following;

You find yourself on a server with just 5 people, the sound of gun fire is noticably absent on the battleground, only the sound of a mild breeze and rain drops hitting the ground are present. All your senses are on high alert, the enemy is out there, lurking... it's a hunt! Then finally you spot movement in the distance, you carefully take aim and squeeze the trigger. A loud bang with a significant thump rings across the battleground, infact it's almost deffening as all of your senses have been on such a high alert. The sound of the bang echoes across the battleground for several seconds. The enemy lies motionless, it's a kill.

Question is: Will the sound of a rifle firing feel as just that, a rifle firing. Or will it just be a loud bang with no depth to it, or will it have a thump to it like the real thing. Furthermore will sound echo for several seconds as in real life. And finally, will the sound be louder if you haven't fired for a while and there has been a long period of silence, to simulate the increase in sensitivity such a period brings to your hearing?

Last edited:
Reactions: guzz60 and Nicholas
Well, to be completely honest, the regular RO K98 sound on my headphones set to 100% made my ears hurt - I couldn't bear more than 5 minutes of gameplay at that volume. Which is pretty close to what I imagine a firing a rifle must sound like. :eek:

Erm... at 100% volume pretty much every weapon will make your ears ache. The sound of weapons such as the K98k, and in particular the G43 is completely unsatisfactory in RO:Ost, and in general weapon sounds lack the depth they should have. But I have no doubt TWI will have this area covered in RO:HOS.

Upvote 0