• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Of entrances and Exits

Boz

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Florida
I have been trying to come up with ways to making getting into and out of tanks a bit more realistic. There has been talk of this elsewhere, but I don't think I have seen any realistic answers yet. I know the engine is limited thus we have the insta entries and the insta exits. I think I have a solution for both the driver and the gunner. Don't quite know what to do with tanks that also have a spot for the MG yet, but...

I would make it so that when you get into or leave the tank you always are in the "open hatch" position.

This would still have to be instant just like it is now, but you just would be in the scrolled up position. The driver would be in the full scrolled up and the gunner would be in the position just below the binoculars position. Then you would have to scroll down (if you wish) to get in the tank fully. This would mean that in order to exit the tank you would have to scoll up to these positions before you could hit the exit button. I also think that you should only be able to switch positions if you are in a scrolled down postion at any one of the stations. Maybe put an order of fill for the positoins so that if you are first and the tank is empty you are always the driver, 2nd filled would be the gunner, and then the MG'er....most likely this will have to be a insta entrance/exit, I see no practical way around this at this point. I think this could be implemented with minimal effort and be at least better than what we have now.

Wow, thats one of the best ideas I've heard in quite awhile. Disabling the use key while in the vehicle unless you were unbuttoned..... :D

This is actually very realistic too. If you've ever seen the vidoes of russian tankers getting in their tanks they basically dive through the open hatch and turn around.

In theory this is the best possible implementation I've seen suggested.

Well done sir.

Upvote 0
I always supported slowing down ability to "bail" from the tank and this idea is something that would enhance tank combat in this game. You can still bail but you would have to be out of the hatch to bail right away. It makes sense and would prevent "hopping" where someone is inside gun firing using optics and then jumping out next instant in case his tank is hit.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the complements guys and I was not sure if the idea had been posted before (I have not seen it), in regards to the Halftracks and the clown cars, I agree that this will not work for them. It is mainly for the tanks. The only real problem I see is some abuse where you would insta switch to the MG (in a 3 person tank) and then insta exit, but it would at least add a step to bailing and also would not be an available option if the tank was fully manned. But I see no way around it, the way the tanks are desgined at this point.

You could be mean and force the mg to wait for an open driver or gunner spot and then scroll up and out, for an exit. Also that would mean that once positoin 1 and 2 were filled, you couldn't have a 3rd person reach the mg position without teamwork from one of the other 2 guys letting him into the tank. (not likely to happen in pub's) and not much fun.

I can't tell you how easy it is to get that last shot off while your tank is red and even after your enemy has fired at you, be able to still insta bail and not get killed. Not very realistic.

Upvote 0
I disagree about the HTs, clowncars, and ucktrucks. The drivers of these vehicles have popped and unpopped views, including the MG on the clowncar and ucktruck. The same can be applied here as on tanks...where you have to close the hatch before moving the car/tank/ht or opening the hatch before exiting...

The riders in the HT and ucktruck, though, just still appear...which is closer to the truth...they could just bail out the side. :/

Upvote 0
Come guys stop beating around the bush with all the elaborate hypotheticals, tell it like it is.... you are tired of a Tanker bailing out and shooting you dead as you try to stealthily run upon and "Satchel or Faust" the tank. :)

Too bad..... its all part of the game. If infantry were populace enough to guard and support tanks, yeah... I'd go for it. But, unfortunately, that is not the case. Therefore, the way it is now helps the Tanker defend his tank against ground pounders. ;)

Upvote 0
Putz, what you said made no sense. If by ucktruck you mean Bren carrier, yes, they should instantly pop out since it not a confined space and you just jump out. In the Clown car, the slit you 'button' and 'unbutton' is just a view hatch, the door is on the side. Same for the HT except the door's in the back. You don't have to close the viewports or open them or whatever your trying to say. also on the Clown car, the MG positon is open so that would also aloow insta-exit.

Anyway, for the MG position in tanks, there should be an unbuttoned position for it.

Upvote 0
It'd require huge amounts of animation and work which might not actually go well. That's why TW would be better off implementing it into the new UE 3.0 instead along with the other hundred suggestions.

How would this take any more animation? It uses the existing unbuttoned or open hatch on a tank, and it would only need some coding to only allow you to exit a tank while the hatch is open.

Upvote 0
How would this take any more animation? It uses the existing unbuttoned or open hatch on a tank, and it would only need some coding to only allow you to exit a tank while the hatch is open.

Soz I got abit off track, what I really meant was the player model could physically climb up the tank and enter through the hatch while it's still opened and vice versa when exiting.

Upvote 0