• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nvidia Flex/FPS drops still happening to anyone?

callumg1988

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2010
Hi all, just wondering... recently i have acquired a G Sync monitor, 144Hz refresh rate which I love, looks awesome. Cranked all settings to max and was having a grand old time with Windows 8.1, GTX 1070 graphics card. I'd assume this should run it, since upgrading recently to Windows 10, I'm not sure if there is a coincidence or not, around wave 6 HoE and even SUI frame rates drop dramatically sometimes. I ticked 'variable refresh rate' which now lets frames crank right up high but still getting plummets.

NExt test is to just do Gibs, not fluids but my main question basically is anyone still having issues with decent machines and high level settings? I assume Flex is the issue, last thing I need to test, because my rig should be more than enough I'd have thought! Thanks, hope someone has had a similar issue and fix!

callumg1988;n2285756 said:
Thanks lads, yeah, as in the post GTX1070. but hey if a 1080 can't run it probably not, i swear it was fine until I got this new monitor which has a much higher framerate. I will try disabling it completely and see how I go :)

That's probably because your old monitor was 60HZ and the new one is 144HZ. You did not notice the drops before because there is no difference in 144 oder 70 frames if you use a 60 HZ monitor, however on a 144HZ monitor these drops are very noticeable.

Upvote 0
Interesting... they are so severe it'll go from 144, to 60 and then end up around 10 lol, so I may just have to leave it off with this new monitor :( It is a shame because blowing up husks with gibs on is one of the most satisfying things in this game haha. Interesting thought about custom maps, I may have been on one actually while testing. And yeah defekt, you're probably right, I just like to have bells and whistles with graphics :)

Upvote 0
My 2 cents: disable Flex unless you only play stock maps. It would be nice if devs would either fix it or at a minimum automatically disable it on custom maps.

My system:
* factory overclocked GTX 1080
* plus: GTX 670 in PhysX only mode (not SLI)
* Gsync monitor @85hz and 3440x1440
* Unplayable mess at random moments on custom maps, rapidly switching between 30 odd FPS and 85 FPS

Upvote 0
Awesome thanks mate for the tip. I mostly like stock maps as I find some custom ones ridiculous, but there are definitely some good ones too out there! I should expand my range a bit more. Any reason your Gsync monitor doesn't have 144hz btw? I'm newish to the realm of these monitors, just curious why it isn't at the max refresh rate.

Upvote 0
Gsync doesn't imply any particular hz. It just means that it will coordinate frame output from the video card with the physical capability of the monitor to refresh. Hence no tearing. In my case, the ROG SWIFT PG348Q maxes out at 100hz. I don't think there's much benefit from going beyond 85hz, at least that's the maximum refresh that was perceptible to me all the way back in the CRT days. So I set the monitor to max out at 85hz.

Upvote 0
I am wondering if it's either one a bug from last update (last I played the game the Flex Gore System just came out) and I had a GTX660 SuperClocked. Reinstalled yesterday and noticed that with Flex and Gibs I get really random frame rate issues and I am running a Titan X 12GB GDDR5, i7 950 3.1Ghz (4 core and 8 threads) and 24GB DDR3 G.Skill Gaming Ram running in Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I have been playing since Early Access first showed up on Steam cause it reminded me of SOF1/2 and L4D. I hope they can find the issue and fix it cause it's an awesome feature and it was working last time I played and if I am having issues with a Titan X and people with 9xx and even 10xx cards should have no issue at all. nVidia just update PhysX on the 28th of last month cause I develop with it ironically though the game I am working on is running on the Unreal Engine 4 and KF2 runs on a heavy modded version of Unreal Engine 3 though UE3 is fully supported in the new PhysX tools. *fingers crossed*

Upvote 0
I am also finding that performance with FLEX is also dependent on other variables, such as number of players or the map being played. On the map question, it varies with stock and custom maps from the Workshop. So it appears that the issues with Flex are not caused by one issue but a myriad of issues. With that said, I am not confident that all the parties involved (game developer, map makers etc.) will actually get together and work the problem out. I can turn Flex on fully and play fine on some maps, loaded with players. Then a map comes along and my fps slow to an unacceptable amount. Don't like having to turn Flex on and off to suit a map, so I turn it off and leave it off. It's not like there is a huge difference. At best, having Flex on only adds a tad of eye candy.

Upvote 0