• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Now I remember why I don't play RO Anymore!

let me lay a few facts down.

In order for a semi-automatic firearm to function properly there must be more room in the bore for the weapons mechanism to move freely. While bolt action rifles need no extra room, there for increasing accuracy. and while this probably wont affect the weapons accuracy for about 250 yards realistically.

In the terms of recoil, there is no where for the gasses to be expelled on a boltaction besides straight out the barrel, thus inhancing the recoil, whilst on a semi-automatic firearm the extra gasses are used to work the bolt, thus dampening recoil.

I see your point, but having experience with an SVT, Moisin Nagant, and Mauser K98, i can also see that there are falts in the game.

But more then just rifle recoil/accuracy needs to be fixed.

just look at the PPSH, PPD, PPS, MP40, MP41, and STG44 and you will see there is much to be fixed. Also take in mind that the TT33 is 7.62x25 and weighs 2.5lbs, while the PPSH is also 7.62x25 and weighs 11lbs, then compare recoils.

Upvote 0
I've actually tested it too, I was in a server myself the other day and decided to test it. So I was on Danzig lying prone firing up one of the streets at the top of a lamp post (as the spark is easily visible), I tested nearly all the rifles, range was probably 80m. With all variety of bolt actions I could score 5 out of 5 hits consistently no problems at all. With the standard G43 I could score around 8 out of 10 with some just missing, with the standard SVT40 I could score around 7 out of 10, it was a little noticeably less accurate than the G43 (ie. the misses were flyers). Now with the scoped semi's it gets intersting, I was averaging 6 with the G43 and 5 with the SVT40, and to get even further intersting I was getting the odd miss with the bolt action snipers as well. This is with my scope reticle swallowed by the lamp post head.

Unfortunately, that's not a good way to test it. RO doesn't map the bullet hits on static objects with much accuracy (unlike hitting players). I recall when people did experiments with the MGs, and found the bullet hits to fall in a visible grid pattern on the wall.

I'm not saying you're wrong on the inaccuracy of the scoped semis - I don't use them so I don't have an opinion.

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, the actions of semi-auto weapons have an effect on accuracy. Most snipers preferred Bolt-Action for this reason. Now-a-days, semi-auto rifles are very close to their bolt action brothers, but this is WWII we're talking about. Given, it shouldn't be that bad. Anything more than 0.5 MOA would be overkill I would think. (1 inch at 100m, 2 inches at 200m, etc). Don't quote me on that, though. I'll have to do some research to know the differences between those weapons in particular.
Both the G43 and SVT used a tilting bolt I think, and if you notice how FN FALs were never sniperised, you'll see why the G43 and SVT both suck in this game.

Also, back then they didn't have AR-10s or AR-15s, for the same reason why the G41 wasn't terribly popular.

That and the AR15 wasn't invented until around the 50s and 60s.

Upvote 0
I know that when I've ever used the sniper rifle I can agree something is amiss. I'm actually more accurate with a bolt action gun period. Now with the semi-autos I have the same kind of issue.

With a scoped sniper rifle I can't hit anything but with my bolt, I'll hardly miss. I have a similar issue between bolts and semi's.

This is the biggest reason I'll use nothing but a bolt ever.

Upvote 0
I believe the reason people miss so much with semis is psychological. With a bolt you need to stay focused. If you miss your shot there's a good chance that you're either going to die, or your target will find cover and the kill will elude you. With a semi you have 10 shots that are almost automatic, if you can click fast enough. Because of the faster fire rate and large magazine capacity people start to slack off and think "Well if I miss, I have 9 more shots just a few quick mouse clicks away, so I've got nothing to worry about". I know people don't slack on their aim on purpose, but eventually you get into the mindset of "It's okay to miss once or twice".

When I'm putting effort into my game and staying focused I see no difference between bolt and semi accuracy. In fact, I have more amazing and long distance shots with a semi than a bolt. Unless sound testing or information from the devs prove otherwise, semis and bolts are pretty much the same to me in terms of accuracy.

I'm not going to comment about semi and bolt snipers, however, since I literally have 0 minutes as sniper, and the closest I've gotten to "Vasily Lives!" is 4 kills. I'm going to be honest and blame my sniper's "inaccuracy" on my own lack of skill and playtime with the class.

Upvote 0
I'm not a great sniper with any weapon, but I have a far better time with the Bolt Actions.

Can't hit anything with the Semi's, and I treat them like Bolts, I'm not spamming the lead all over.

Although to be honest, I think the Unscoped Bolts are actually more accurate then the Scoped ones, I can hit things with a Ironsight Bolt that I can't with the Bolt Sniper, and this is taking into account all the droppage and such.

Upvote 0
Something has always been off with the sniper rifles, it feels like something to do with the aiming reticle, all I know is that I have always felt they were a bit broken since RO was a mod, and I know I'm not alone.

If you figure out what it is, you'll find that scoped semi's are VERY accurate.
Im not gonna tell, cause I prefer sniper whores to stick with bolt. ;)

Upvote 0
if the kar98 was semi auto, then i would probably hit less targets then when it is a bolter.
the semis make you take risks and feel overconfident, and many times you miss the first shot and then your chances to still hit the target drop drastically.
when i use a bolt i am much more carefull and shoot only when im sure to hit, and with succes.

Agree the best use for a semi is not spamming but using it like a bolt but with the added safety in close of a higher rate of fire.

Upvote 0
The semi sniper rifles are noticeably less accurate in game. But in real life they were to. I don't notice any bullet drop at ranges such as 100 meters with the scoped semi autos, but I do notice that they group a bit larger.

But I am not sure how the grouping compared to their real life counter parts. They are still pretty accurate, but you just can't constantly hit the 4 inches of someone's arm sticking out from behind cover from 100 or so meters away like you can with the bolt snipers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0