• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No stats? GREAT!

Just to add my support to the OP - death messages are a severe detraction from the reality of the game, and much though I don't like doing it I find myself automatically using them all the time to make sure my hits were kills etc.

It'd be nice if TW could set no deathmessages and scores only when dead as the default status, while allowing people to enable them on their server if they wanted ... just to add that extra edge of realism :)

Upvote 0
The Iron Crescendo server runs with blackscreen and hides enemy roles/reinforcements. We feel that these two mutators alone add a lot to the immersion of the game, and makes you think twice about charging that last objective when you're not sure if the enemy still has reinforcements left.

We keep death messages on because typically it's people on playing with their friends and they want to be able to brag about bayo'ing their buddy in the back ;) That and in the box, monitor, your game is confined in it is very hard to distinguish a kill from someone going prone at distances where you would normally have no trouble in real life.

And scores, well, you gotta have something to shoot for so that you improve right?

Anyways the server IP can be found here: http://forums.ironcrescendo.net/viewtopic.php?t=160

Edit: oh yeah NYC server, typically with admins on, and custom maps.

Upvote 0
They'd have to rework the scoring then too if you want death messages out, because you can just check the scoreboard to see if you got the kill.

And I personally like the first person dying animations. I can't stand it when servers force you to black. The first person dying with the hands and legs adds a lot of realism to the game. I don't mind the screen staying black after you die though.

The game is realistic enough to play in a server that doesn't have a couple of features you're so obssessive about that you post on here like a cocaine fiend saying you absolutely NEED these features.

Upvote 0
They'd have to rework the scoring then too if you want death messages out, because you can just check the scoreboard to see if you got the kill.

And I personally like the first person dying animations. I can't stand it when servers force you to black. The first person dying with the hands and legs adds a lot of realism to the game. I don't mind the screen staying black after you die though.

The game is realistic enough to play in a server that doesn't have a couple of features you're so obssessive about that you post on here like a cocaine fiend saying you absolutely NEED these features.

Checking the scoreboard for the kill takes that extra step and time as opposed to just glancing in the corner. Most wont' do that to check a kill, more just to check how they are doing, which is important too. If a person can't feel any achievement it gets boring and doing poorly takes the fun out of things just as much as it's a sense of acomplishment to notice oneself getting better.
Having DM off is good I agree for teamwork and realism. I really HATE when the blackscreen is on though. I like to see the animation when I die, or the circumstances at least a little, and if it's a longer spawn time on some maps it ****s to be stuck in the dark. I think the actual abuse of being able to see around after one dies is insignificant compared to the graphical interest and fun I get out of being able to see.

Upvote 0