• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No new tank maps?

I was thinking along the lines of large maps such as Orel. Us tankers have a choice of Orel in its two guises or Blackdayjuly and that's it.
Not much choice really.

Well, for long range combat, yes. For shorter and mid-range, there's the improved version of Arad (no more clown cars, from what I hear -- which should help a LOT), Ogledow, Bondarevo, and Barashka. A lot of folks don't play Barashka because of the infinite standoff loop from the early days of RO:Ost, but that's been fixed. Ogledow I played last night and it's still interesting. Plenty of strategy to be used, although it sort of plays like an infantry version of a tank map -- very fast, lots of killing and getting killed, etc. Still, it's interesting. Bondarevo is one of my favs because of the early-war setting.

And don't forget Berezina -- that's an AWESOME combined arms map where you can really put the various armies' doctrines to work if you've got a savvy team.

And more will show up.

I do think we need to realize that a lot of people don't like tank combat. I think this is because they view it as boring and that it takes too long, and they die a lot. Be willing to help folks and teach them how to tank well, and I think you'll start to see tanking pick up over time. Plus, with better options for balance across the scope of the war now, I think maps with the Pz IV H will play a lot better than the previous versions with the F2.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see more maps similar to Konigsplatz from tripwire, combined arms but with a very small number of tanks. I think thats ROs real strong point, theres a lot of satisfaction satcheling or panzering a tank when its fully loaded with 3 crew members and a very important asset to a team that only has 1/2 tanks.

How anyone can find a map like Orel fun is beyond me, to anyone who hasnt given it a go yet make sure to turn on the incremental throttle, aim the tank at where you want to go and go do the dishes, have a cup of tea or smoke a cigarette, come back in about 10 mins and if your lucky you might only have another 5-6 miles to go before getting killed without seeing the enemy.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see more maps similar to Konigsplatz from tripwire, combined arms but with a very small number of tanks. I think thats ROs real strong point, theres a lot of satisfaction satcheling or panzering a tank when its fully loaded with 3 crew members and a very important asset to a team that only has 1/2 tanks.

How anyone can find a map like Orel fun is beyond me, to anyone who hasnt given it a go yet make sure to turn on the incremental throttle, aim the tank at where you want to go and go do the dishes, have a cup of tea or smoke a cigarette, come back in about 10 mins and if your lucky you might only have another 5-6 miles to go before getting killed without seeing the enemy.

The main drawback to a map like Orel, in my view, is the limitation on total players- nothing more. If somehow the player total could be doubled or tripled (yes, I know I'm dreaming) we'd be able to see some real combined-arms maneuvers and such. With the current limit at 16 on-board players per team, there's just not a lot of opportunities to mass your forces for a decisive move- at best, now you're limited to tank assaults with a couple of AT guys sneaking around.

And say a team decides (for whatever reason) to field all infantry/AT guys- that's still 16 bodies versus potentially 16 tanks that are usually faster and always better armored than a halftrack or UC.

As it stands now, the smaller maps are potentially great CA maps as long as the number of tanks is sharply limited. (I can hear other tankers out there grumbling already at that thought.) Ogledow, for instance, I think would be a better(historical context aside) combined-arms map if the tanks available to each side were limited to maybe a quarter of what is available now, reserves and all. Now, there is simply no 'down side' to getting killed in a tank- just respawn and *POOF* there's a shiny new Panther or T-34 waiting for you. Having only a few tanks available would teach teams to actually PROTECT their armored assets from AT guys, and the tankers to provide real support to the ground-pounders when needed.

And remember, too, that even on the Eastern Front- on both sides- there were millions more riflemen than tankers! Let's have fun AND keep it real--!

Upvote 0
Im all for maps like Orel and BDJ. The size of the map(Orel)is its greatest asset. It is intimidating at first but once you get the lay of the land it becomes alot smaller. If you jump in a tank and go looking for trouble on your own chances are you'll end up on the business end of the enemys guns. Then you can go get another beer and dry your dishes while you drive back to the battle zone. You will learn how to use each and every tank to its fullest and how to work as a team with people you dont even know who are on the other side of the ocean.

Upvote 0