• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No, Killing Floor 3 doesn't need an attachment system.

Paul-Hunter34

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 22, 2023
I've seen some people suggest, both in these forums and elsewhere, that Killing Floor 3 should have an attachment system for weapons. I wholeheartedly disagree with this idea. An attachment system in Killing Floor isn't only unnecessary, but it would also ruin weapon/Perk identity.

Killing Floor is about using the equipment that fit your playstyle, not molding the equipment to fit your playstyle. If you want an optic on your gun, then use a gun with an optic. If you want less recoil on your gun, then play a Perk that reduces recoil (and so on and so forth). Giving players the ability to fully customize all weapons makes it so that the only meaningful distinctions between them are their dps and alternate firing modes, which makes the weapon selection much less unique and defeats the purpose of certain Perk Bonuses. Why use the H&K UMP if you can put a sight on the MP5? Why play Commando if you can reduce recoil on SWAT guns with a foregrip? An attachment system like Call of Duty's doesn't work for Killing Floor because it entirely goes against the game's design philosophy.

Adding more content and customization to a game doesn't automatically make it better. In my opinion, the weapon customization in Killing Floor should stay limited only to cosmetics, such as skins and charms. Killing Floor has always held an emphasis on how the Perks interact with the weapons and influence which weapons the player uses, and to throw that fundamental away to instead emphasize how the player interacts with the weapons would be a huge step backwards for the series.

You just need to program the standard weapon. Anyone who picks it up has the standard version. From the programmer's point of view, I only need to program a weapon with different attachments and settings for the different characters. As a sniper I take a rifle scope and single shot to take advantage of its advantages as a commando large magazine for semi-shot over the rear sight and corn, as a SWAT continuous fire with reflex and standard magazine for the fire type with fired ammunition for the berserker with close combat attachment. It doesn't matter whether the values are technically useful. But a weapon that almost every character can use makes more sense from a purchasing perspective than programming a class-specific weapon for each character that is first buffed and then nerfed and that you probably don't buy because you don't play the character anyway... the purpose Alienating weapons to other classes and testing out different settings also brings with it different tactics and playing time...

I really dont like the upgrade system in kf2, I find it kinda...lazy? I mean there no realistic depth in all the weapons, like recoil, low magazine, or hipfire, that sort of thing. Basically you upgrade the damage then that's it. If you put a silencer on your pistol, then you'll have less zeds running up to you since they cant hear you shooting lol. I'm down for a weapon attachment system.

Upvote 0