• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Night fighting/ Night vision

@ takadi:

The HL2 engine is completely different to the modified Unreal 2.5 engine in use by RO (at least, that was the engine in use last time I read up on things).

The HL2 had most of the 'real-world' physics already coded into it's game engine. Lost coast just tweaked a few things and added some nice eye-candy.

For all of that to be in RO it would most likely have to be re-written for an entirely new engine.

As far as I know (and, anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong), the Unreal 2.5 engine does not have material physics where different materials react in different ways, for example: shooting a rifle at a wooden door and a steel door would give very different effects.

Upvote 0
mikeyp said:
@ takadi:

The HL2 engine is completely different to the modified Unreal 2.5 engine in use by RO (at least, that was the engine in use last time I read up on things).

The HL2 had most of the 'real-world' physics already coded into it's game engine. Lost coast just tweaked a few things and added some nice eye-candy.

For all of that to be in RO it would most likely have to be re-written for an entirely new engine.

As far as I know (and, anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong), the Unreal 2.5 engine does not have material physics where different materials react in different ways, for example: shooting a rifle at a wooden door and a steel door would give very different effects.
True. Though Vengeance Studios (creator of the SWAT-series and the Tribes-series) has an adapted Unreal Engine 2.5 (Vengeance engine) with Havok physics and some DirectX 9 rendering functions.

To me it looks great, and it's like Unreal Engine 2.5 with a better physics engine and bumpmapping, normal mapping, etc.
But I'm sure it took alot of time.

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 could have been much better graphics and physics-wise if it had the Open Dynamics Engine - physics engine (no costs added, because it's open source, but it means you create your own physics engine on an existing physics framework) implemented (would prob. add another month to release date) and certain DirectX 9 features like normal mapping, bump mapping, specular mapping, etc.

Though that's like making the game perfect, which is impossible.

Upvote 0
Desantnik said:
Hello Devs,

I am sure you remember me, Des, since I've been with you since 1.0 and have bugged you about ragdolls ever since. I also want to thank you for making the First person sim that is actually worth playing.

As you know I've been gone the last 6 months due to my training, however I would like to suggest something that was beat into our heads during school of infantry that might have been suggested earlier or not. In any case it has to do with night vision.

During our night inflitration courses, our DI's and subsquently in SOI our combat intructors told us about the importance of preserving night vision, mainly by not looking at areas of intense light directly. This includes fires, flares, flashbangs, and the blasts of automatic weapons. They also stressed the importance of keeping both eyes open during aiming because during the night, you wont be able to see much with one eye closed, especially looking through a sight picture, of the venerable world war two rifles, much less through the night sight on an m16a4.

So my suggestion is to penalize the player for looking at bright areas of light for too long by limiting the ability to see anything in the dark. Also, to use the light as a cover for advancing troops. Such as having fires in front of the germans in order to prevent them from seeing the advancing russian troops. I dont know if this feature is able to be incorporated in RO with the engine, but I know that nothing is impossible.

I guess the effect would be sort of like the dxdlll nightvision loss in OFP except sustained for a bit more time.

I hope you can understand what I am talking about...

Semper Fan,

Dmitry

I think this is an excellent suggestion. The RO community is such a treat! AT LAST people who care about realism, historical accuracy and immersion. This is our philosophy in Grey Guard (http://www.greyguardclan.com) and I just love this forum. it's like coming home! I was the guy who first asked for sea gulls in Silent Hunter III. They put them in too, so now you can tell when you are within a few miles of land or a sub has dumbed garbage. (I am retired now but was a career deep sea diver and spent 18 years at sea in the North Sea)

Upvote 0
Flares FTW! Although they will surely be misued in the same manner as flashbangs were in CS, but just imagine having your squad silently lined up, watching the enemy approach. Then comes the flare, making them **** their pants, followed up by the brutal force of a full squad firing at the same time. Won't ever happen ingame, but we did that once in the military during a practice field mission... a man can dream though, a man can dream....

Upvote 0
G0rbachev said:
wouldnt your eyes do that in real life tho?
like if you were looking @ the bright screen and then it turns dark, wouldnt ur eyes like adjust or whatever? I dont think that you would need to add this because it would like double your handicap.

Maybe we just havent seen this happen because there are no dramatic changes in lighting. Maybe with the new HDR bloom things we will see this happening in real life and wont need to add it in the game.

Correct me if I wrong, and I very well might be.

If everyone played in dark rooms, mb this would happen!

You are right, that it does happen and this effect changes dependent on backlighting and ambient lighting. So there could be a small penalty, and it would also be good to simulate persistance of vision and have a trail effect from bright lights.

As it is, your vision is narrow enough, that night fighting maps in most games is difficult as it is.

My main complaint comes with the lighting that is applied to these maps... but to make it realistic would demand that the user has a very good monitor and is in a dark room to see all the details of a realistic night map.

Upvote 0
Welcome home Deathsai :) Hopefully you're skeelz have faded so that I stand a chance at killing you now :p

That aside, it is a great idea, and the kind of thing that true HDR (not bloom effects) is attempting to achieve. With a higher end graphics card you can sorta experience this (like when you first look at the reactor core in HL2: Ep 1, for example) and the technology can only go up.

I think that it's something to keep in mind for U3 engine, though, instead of trying to put it into the current RO. Once the hardware needed to fully support this type of rendering becomes common, look for it to be in any FPS (or any first-person game in general, regardless of genre) as standard fare.

Upvote 0
Hello Devs,

I am sure you remember me, Des, since I've been with you since 1.0 and have bugged you about ragdolls ever since. I also want to thank you for making the First person sim that is actually worth playing.

As you know I've been gone the last 6 months due to my training, however I would like to suggest something that was beat into our heads during school of infantry that might have been suggested earlier or not. In any case it has to do with night vision.

During our night inflitration courses, our DI's and subsquently in SOI our combat intructors told us about the importance of preserving night vision, mainly by not looking at areas of intense light directly. This includes fires, flares, flashbangs, and the blasts of automatic weapons. They also stressed the importance of keeping both eyes open during aiming because during the night, you wont be able to see much with one eye closed, especially looking through a sight picture, of the venerable world war two rifles, much less through the night sight on an m16a4.

So my suggestion is to penalize the player for looking at bright areas of light for too long by limiting the ability to see anything in the dark. Also, to use the light as a cover for advancing troops. Such as having fires in front of the germans in order to prevent them from seeing the advancing russian troops. I dont know if this feature is able to be incorporated in RO with the engine, but I know that nothing is impossible.

I guess the effect would be sort of like the dxdlll nightvision loss in OFP except sustained for a bit more time.

I hope you can understand what I am talking about...

Semper Fan,

Dmitry

I think this is a brilliant idea and extremely realistic. For me almost the sole reason to play RO (As there are many graphically better FPS games now) is the realism and immersion that it produces. There should be "breath hold" aim steadying (as for snipers in the COD series) for all rifles and some "reactive" night vision effects as described, as that is a very real factor in ni9ght fighting. An excellent suggestion.

Upvote 0