• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Toy: Mossberg 590

[CiA]Stiletto

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Catalog #50665. 8+1 capacity, 3" 12-gauge chamber, Speed-Feed stock. Stock can hold four shells, but it works better with only two (one per bay).

The M44 has been retired from home defense duties.

LeftSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

FPS.jpg

Downrange.jpg

ChamberCheck.jpg

I keep my SKS at the ready with 5 fully loaded stripper clips for home defense, I should be looking to a shotgun though. So are you going to be doing anything to her? New stock, slings, don't know if this particular model accomodates ghost ring sights, but I think all you need is the racking noise to protect your house. :D

How much did this set you back?

Upvote 0
Hey, that's not a 500, it's a 590. :eek: Busted, lol. jk

Single-points are for shoulder guns. Lets you keep the arm handy when you need both hands for something else... it's pretty much the same as a two-point "tactical" sling.

I don't see where a sling is much of an issue on a HD gun, though.

And I was gonna say you needed a bayonet to consider it a true replacement to the M44 as HD gun of choice. :p What's a HD gun without a 'sticker on it!? :D

I'm really considering a Mossberg 500 for my next firearms purchase (right after a K31.) The 590 appeals to me a lot, since it's already got an extended tube, has the handguard, and I love bayonets on guns. OTOH, I like the fact it doesn't have the ghost ring sights like the other 590. I'm cool with a bead. If I can put a bead on a clay or bird that's flying through the air, hitting a person with it... well, can you say "easy?" Maybe if I needed to shoot slugs at deer or pigs (or people?) at 100 yards, I'd consider the ghost ring setup, but I'd rather not want to rely on a shotgun, even with slugs, at that kind of range.

It's just the 590s are a bit more $$$$ than the regular 500... Extended tube/shortened barrel on the 500 and I'm happy. FWIW, I don't see myself REALLY needing more than 6 rounds in a HD encounter (according to my math, 6 rounds of 12 gauge 00B/slugs = 6 dead intruders), so maybe I don't really need the extended tube anyway.

Upvote 0
It's just the 590s are a bit more $$$$ than the regular 500... Extended tube/shortened barrel on the 500 and I'm happy. FWIW, I don't see myself REALLY needing more than 6 rounds in a HD encounter (according to my math, 6 rounds of 12 gauge 00B/slugs = 6 dead intruders), so maybe I don't really need the extended tube anyway.
More ammo is never a bad thing. Besides, at close enough ranges, it's not terribly difficult to miss with a shotgun; check out the patterns on that target, at ten yards it's only going to be about half the width of a man's chest. (At least on my particular 590.)

Upvote 0
I dunno I'd be more in favour of a Saiga shotgun for home defense, what is a burglar going to do when I let fly with 8 semi-automatic buck shot loads at his head :D

Also there's no risk of double feeding it in a panic.

Double-feeding?! I can't see how you could double-feed.

I'd rather have a Valtro PM5. The Saiga is good, and has a high drool factor, but... The Valtro is a pump-action with a detachable mag. The best of both worlds.

If you want to use some kind of reduced-power load, not all semi-auto shotguns will let you. Any semi-auto shottie with a detachable mag is illegal in the PRK, too... that makes me sooo mad. Also, I'm not too happy with the control layout of AK rifles (excepting the Galil and others based off it) with the safety up where you have to take your hand away from the trigger to operate it, and you have to operate the cocking handle with your trigger hand.. well, unless you want to shoot wrong-handed. Not to mention the PITA that is known as 922r. Oh and you can probably pick up 2 or 3 590s for the price of an S12...

I like pump-action shotguns for the reason revolvers will always have a special place in my heart: when you pull the trigger, it's gonna go boom. And you KNOW it will.

Upvote 0