• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code new to this whole thing

RavengerCerberus

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 25, 2010
yo whats up, I'm Ravenger... I've been playing KF for a while now and i have a whole bunch of ideas i wanna make into actually gameplay... can anybody here help me out.

like post a tut, on how to take coding and scripts from other games and import them into KF?

or make a new perk/mut.

i've never coded or scripted, so bare with me please

uhm

uhm

i was kind of thinking about taking some classes from world of warcraft, and mashing them together into a new perk called "Grim Reaper" classes like the priest warrior shaman mage, and some others i dont feel like naming, or easyer enough, upgrade the nade launchers for demo, because me and my friends get real tired of reloaded after 6 nades, how about something that has 20 in the clip and like 400 ammo.

any help or better ideas much appreciated thanks

Upvote 0
While logic is generally universal throughout the programming world, programming languages are sadly not. Whatever information you pull from games such as World of Warcraft most likely will need to be completely redone from scratch within the Unreal Engine.

Since you do not have any prior coding experience, the best thing you can do is sit down and follow some tutorials from BeyondUnreal's wiki.

Hello World is the generally accepted starting point for learning anything programming related.

UScript is not as straightforward as other programming languages, so expect to take some time researching, tweaking, and fixing your code until it works properly.

Personally, if I was instructing a class about programming, I would never start by first introducing them to UScript. It's a very confusing and convoluted language that requires an almost dictionary-like knowledge of function calls, and the majority of mutators in existence wind up being modified versions of pre-existing code. However, this does not mean that it's impossible to dive in and create something.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
While logic is generally universal throughout the programming world, programming languages are sadly not. Whatever information you pull from games such as World of Warcraft most likely will need to be completely redone from scratch within the Unreal Engine.

Since you do not have any prior coding experience, the best thing you can do is sit down and follow some tutorials from BeyondUnreal's wiki.

Hello World is the generally accepted starting point for learning anything programming related.

UScript is not as straightforward as other programming languages, so expect to take some time researching, tweaking, and fixing your code until it works properly.

Personally, if I was instructing a class about programming, I would never start by first introducing them to UScript. It's a very confusing and convoluted language that requires an almost dictionary-like knowledge of function calls, and the majority of mutators in existence wind up being modified versions of pre-existing code. However, this does not mean that it's impossible to dive in and create something.

Good luck!

Thank You, Sir :D:p:cool:

Upvote 0
also another great way to learn is pull up something that already works, duplicate it, make some simple modifications as you learn more then eventually go onto more avanced and intricate modifications and additions.

and one thing i've notice about unreal code is that it's for the most part self-explainitory when looking at someone else's code so the really only hard part is breaking down what you want to happen into it's very detailed specific parts on paper then make it into code. so inother words:

1. watch and learn from working mutators and mods

2. analyze the code the best you can( if you can figure a part out look up the bit's of the code)

3. look for as many resources as possible to learn from

4. feeling ready you should then plan out on paper what you want ur mutator to do.
5. break what you want down to specific parts and segments.

6. translate it to logical parts.
ex.it's too simple to say that a toaster toasts bread, to make a toaster work you break it down to it's parts, what happens? how does it work? what do i need to make it happen? one would normally say you place bread in it and push the button down and it heats up. wrong still to simple
first the toaster is made up of parts: you got the resistor that heats up and actually toasts,you got the timer that controls how long it should burn for, you got the power regulator, you got the transformer for a/c to d/c, you got the power plug that needs to be plugged into a 120v a/c standard outlite,you got the rack that holds the bread down to toast, you got the button which switches it on and connects it all, then you got the case with holds it all in. these are the parts, how do they work? yes thats right in programming world there is no such thing as common sense(so to speak)

7. translate those logical parts into the unreal code and put it all togeather.

8. spelling, syntax errors, missplaced sympols will kill ur code or cause memory leaks so check that stuff to death.

9. finally compile and test :)

10. if errors occur something is wrong :p

this is how i do things lol

Upvote 0