• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Tier 5 weapon idea for COMMANDO [UPDATED 01.10.]

Milan

Grizzled Veteran
  • Apr 19, 2021
    Kazan
    H R G I N C I N ER λT O R

/ / /
    "Concept of a dangerous weapon, stolen from Horzine's SDS group, Research team recreated some of it's initial power using this rifle as a base."

* HRG Incinerator is a tier 5 weapon for commando, it's a alternate version of firebug's Helios Rifle, designed to utilize dark energy. It's inspired by OSIPR aka AR2 from half-life 2 beta and also some weapons from entropy zero 2, i made a little twist in idea

* Video is not mine *

Knowing that Commando is a straight-forward perk, i decided to leave primary fire simple, it fires fast moving projectiles of dark energy impulses in full auto mode, nothing crazy yet
    * Damage type - Assault Rifle *

Secondary fire mode creates a sphere of dark energy in front of the gun barrel and holds it there, consuming some of the ammo, player can shoot primary fire through energy sphere, this will charge up its projectiles, increasing spread of the weapon (sphere dissipates projectiles), turning it's damage type to Piercing and giving penetration power.
    * changes sfx and bullet tracers *

- Player
    can release energy ball at any time by pressing secondary fire mode button again. It will release slow-moving projectile that has simillar mechanics to "Heavy bump",
    • if at the time of impact with sphere zed will have body health value not greater than damage of the energy ball - he will be obliterated;

• if body health value is greater, then zed will be knocked down with strong pushback force;

• Initially energy ball has bigger damage value, slow speed and low pushback/knockdown force, firing primary mode through energy ball will progressively reduce it's size, and also give it more speed and pushback force if player decides to release it, but small energy ball will deal less damage;

• Smallest energy ball will be able to ricochet off surfaces due to higher speeds;

• Firing smallest energy ball boosts you backwards

• Player can reload with secondary mode activated, energy ball will not disappear, also if the mag is empty you can interrupt reload to release energy ball by pressing secondary fire mode button;

• Energy ball will disappear if you shoot through it enough times, when it's depleted and about to dissapear it will "warn" the player by changing it's color, so you can decide whether to use it or continue shooting in normal mode after it dissappears;

Optional features/small details

Energy ball as light source ? - while you hold it it could provide some light, i mean, firebug has flares for his molotovs, this could be helpful for navigating dark close quarters such as seen in catacombs. Perhaps an addition to NVG goggles which nobody uses, maybe even straight up better alternative at this point, IF suitable to implement;

also it would be cool to apply little bit of knock back power to charged shots(not stumble), simmilar to shotguns, like when you shoot zeds they fly away after death, it shouldn't be that noticeable, just subtle feature to make weapon more satisfying.

- black/purple color scheme? - emphasising mysterious origin of initial weapon and perhaps further modifications research team have done in development;
    - redesigned barrel to fit new concept? - I suggest you adding extended mechanical arms, like the ones arc generator has:

2022-09-30-01-25-02-005.jpg

Also it would be super cool if you could make them rotate slowly when holding energy ball and fast when firing, like reload animation of zed eradication device, it's really satisfying:

* again the video is not mine *

- redesigned (integrated?) scope with indicators of ammunition and energy ball power percentage? zed weakpoints highlighted in orange color?(when activating ADS mode you can see vulnerable spots through visual obstructions like smoke, fire or explosions, or just darkness, like in Half-life: Alyx) - this might be useful for commando to land precision shots and extend zed-time carefully, while in the midst of chaotic combat.

Primary fire can be used to pick off single targets with precision, and combination of charged shots with energy balls to clear choke point of hordes or fight big zeds and effectively avoid them.

Last edited:
    I don't know... It seems gimmicky, even though I absolutely love the Pulse Rifle from HL2. We already have an assault rifle with incendiary grenades, with regular grenades and even a shotgun now. But I guess it would make for a more reliable T5 than the Minigun.
    Primary fire for doing casual commando stuff
    Penetration on charged shots
    Charged shots with secondary damage type useful for fleshpounds(increased spread serves as a reminder that commando is not supposed to target fleshpounds)

Ability to clear path with energy balls in extreme situations: charged shots with penetration work in synergy with mechanics of the energy ball, injured zeds are more likely to get obliterated even by smaller energy ball, at least trash, other stronger foes get knockdowned and pushed back.

I know commando is all about picking off zeds one by one, but when surrounded, things get bad, i decided that with tier 5 weaponry, he at least deserves a chance to clear path to retreat safely, energy ball is not as op as explosive aoe weapons, so it's pretty balanced but also versatile weapon, compared to minigun which offers raw power, trading precision and makes commando even more vulnerable, i mean, you can't really shoot minigun when you're surrounded in all of a sudden, it makes you even more slow, sometimes cant even fire when retreating, for the same reason again.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I know commando is all about picking off zeds one by one, but when surrounded, things get bad, i decided that with tier 5 weaponry, he at least deserves a chance to clear path to retreat safely, energy ball is not as op as explosive aoe weapons, so it's pretty balanced but also versatile weapon, compared to minigun which offers raw power, trading precision and makes commando even more vulnerable, i mean, you can't really shoot minigun when you're surrounded in all of a sudden, it makes you even more slow, sometimes cant even fire when retreating, for the same reason again.
    I followed you up until that part... While he's not a dedicated trash-cleaner like the firebug and SWAT (and somewhat the Medic), I'd say the Commando is definitely more than capable of killing large groups, especially if you're good at headshotting and/or if you increase your mag size. It is however true that he doesn't CLEAR a path as quickly as any of those perks (of which you could add the demo and even the support with its extra penetration)

What I'm a bit wary about is how you mention that such a gun would be effective against Fleshpounds. I'm torn on the matter : on one hand, I believe an "ultimate" weapon like a T5 should be effective against nearly everything considering there's nothing above it AND its price. But then, I'm also part of those who would wish for the perks to all feel very different... The 'mando can already somewhat deal with FPs thanks to its grenades. He has to use them wisely though, as he doesn't have many of them. So having a weapon to circumvent that weakness doesn't sit well with me, but it all depends on the alt fire itself : you mention it's somewhat inaccurate, but how many spare shots would you have? Would it take a while to charge up?

We're totally on the same boat regarding the Minigun though. Probably the reason why nobody ever bothers with it. A shame... With a good enough team, you can clearly destroy whole legions of trash zeds ! But it requires someone to protect your ass, like a demo or sharp... Except those are better at dealing with priority targets, so at least you find some "logic" behind it. Protecting a commando? Considering he's supposed to be the "callout" perk? Meh.

Reactions: Milan
    Upvote 0
    I followed you up until that part... While he's not a dedicated trash-cleaner like the firebug and SWAT (and somewhat the Medic), I'd say the Commando is definitely more than capable of killing large groups, especially if you're good at headshotting and/or if you increase your mag size. It is however true that he doesn't CLEAR a path as quickly as any of those perks (of which you could add the demo and even the support with its extra penetration)

What I'm a bit wary about is how you mention that such a gun would be effective against Fleshpounds. I'm torn on the matter : on one hand, I believe an "ultimate" weapon like a T5 should be effective against nearly everything considering there's nothing above it AND its price. But then, I'm also part of those who would wish for the perks to all feel very different... The 'mando can already somewhat deal with FPs thanks to its grenades. He has to use them wisely though, as he doesn't have many of them. So having a weapon to circumvent that weakness doesn't sit well with me, but it all depends on the alt fire itself : you mention it's somewhat inaccurate, but how many spare shots would you have? Would it take a while to charge up?

We're totally on the same boat regarding the Minigun though. Probably the reason why nobody ever bothers with it. A shame... With a good enough team, you can clearly destroy whole legions of trash zeds ! But it requires someone to protect your ass, like a demo or sharp... Except those are better at dealing with priority targets, so at least you find some "logic" behind it. Protecting a commando? Considering he's supposed to be the "callout" perk? Meh.
    About fleshpounds tho, first of all, you gonna need to create energy ball to turn weapon's damage type to piercing, this will already consume some of the ammo, maybe it will consume some percentage of ammo, considering that you can equip extended mags, second - increased spread, so yeah, while it's damage type is more effective against fleshpounds, you are limited to close range making you think twice before engaging, but again, if you absolutely have to, you can use it., you'll probably have barely enough ammo to finish the job, but at least you can make that mistake - small energy ball will knockdown or if hes enraged, at least push him back, giving you time to retreat or prepare for another attack,.

So yeah the weapon can be used against any target almost equally effective, compared to other weapons, and you are allowed to make some mistakes at cost of your ammo, so it's versatility is also a main drawback - you'll probably run out of ammo fast if you use this weapon constantly, that's main balancing factor for all versatile weapons in games apparently.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Aleflippy
    Upvote 0