• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Stalingrad movie?

In my opinion, it looks pretty good. I'd watch it as soon as I get the chance.
I like a bit of romantisising in war movies; I don't watch them for the gory reality, but for, you know, heroics, uniforms, characters and such, as well as for general military history.

I actually quite like the new Russian war movies, like Admiral and The Turkish Gambit. This looks like the same kind of movie to me.
Also, in The Turkish Gambit the Russian get their asses kicked a lot by the Turks, in a quite unpatriottic way as well.

Also, did anyone see Hunde, wollt Ihr ewig leben? (Dogs, do you want to live forever?)? It's one of my favorite war movies, and it's about Stalingrad...

I think the movie might be at least decent\overall watchable in typical Russian over-the-top-manner as their films usually are, but the trailer itself is damm hilarious IMHO. Arguably since most war films these days try way too hard to be something they really are not in the name of drama, one can't help but to wonder if financers are meddling with the script or did they honestly believe the standard and completely worn out typical war-love-story-subplot-ott-action-moar-love-story-let's-milk-it-out-because-we-said-so formula with no play on the concept is capable of floating on its own.

(Yes it can, but obviously they need to put more effort into it then.)

For that same reason I personally draw a line between actual romantic depiction of war and soldiering and something that's just put together because people like to **** with each other and call it romantic. There are films which can balance the two ends reasonably but all it takes is one truly hilarious\egregious case and one can't help but to throw up their arms. Of course trailer is always a trailer so who knows, maybe it's mindblowingly awesome, maybe it's prime MST3K material.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Russian ww2 movies... Especially new ones are so "patriotic" that theyre not good! Watch "Aussault on Fortess Brest" and you know what I mean, they far from reality!

Except Брестская крепость (The Brest Fortress), which i'm assuming is the one you're talking about, was historically accurate. And by extension, in aspects, quite 'realistic'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't use sarcasm, the movie was made in line with a local museum, using official reports and accounts/journals from those who were there.

Yes, because everyone knows that the standard reaction of the German soldier when facing the enemy was to slowly keep walking forward in an upright position while hipfiring their K98s, waiting for the enemy to close in and bash their heads in with chairs.

Upvote 0
tumblr_m4fr8hkCsz1qc0163o1_500.jpg

Russian Ninjas, owning Nazi Germany since '41. note the great acting in the background during a charge, one of them even makes a photo with his mobile phone (captured secret nazi tech?) for the next generation.

A pretty funny video, It could be a US action movie from the '90s.

Soviet Infantry Charge- Brest Fortress - YouTube
Yes, because everyone knows that the standard reaction of the German soldier when facing the enemy was to slowly keep walking forward in an upright position while hipfiring their K98s, waiting for the enemy to close in and bash their heads in with chairs.
:)

heres anothe rgood one:
Defense of city Mogilev 1941 - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0

While the battle scenes are dramatized a bit, that doesn't change that the historical context and event(s) is correct.

Also, I do not see many of them hipfiring, they were aiming, and not all of them were upright, some were prone/crouching/etc.

Upvote 0
wow, they even aim. Imperial Stormtrooper didn't :rolleyes:

and why did they even made a film about brest (east)? That whole thing caused 400 German and 2000 Russian casualties, that's not even 1 day (maybe exaggerating a bit here but you know what I mean) on the eastern front in '44 :O

'44?

'41.

And just to be fair to all sides, aiming down your sights in any war movie, period, is often considered optional, and was considerably out of fashion back in the 80s.

I mean, hell, watch more dramatic classics like Stalingrad, Cross of Iron, etc... (both among my favorite movies, btw) and people are spraying wildly from the hip on both sides, or blindfiring. If the movie is well written and acted though, one tends to forgive such foolishness.

That said, props to German war films for generally protraying their foes as competent and even somewhat sympathetic.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about the time when it happened or the year where that was the daily loss of humans?
And I can deal with stupid -action-movie-like behavior, I'm getting sad when the whole movie is completely biased, 10/10 russians won the 1vs1 fights, true story :p

The defense of the Brest Frotress took place in June 1941... rereading your post, I now understand what you were trying to say--that casualties in a typical day on the front in 1944 far exceeded the total losses in 1941 at Brest. Miscomprehension on my part.

Upvote 0
"This is the first Russian movie completely produced with 3D technology. At the same time, this project is the first Russian and non-American film produced using the IMAX format. It is scheduled to be released in 2013."

"Against the backdrop of the most bloody battle in the history of mankind develops a love story, and, from that moment, the soldiers have to protect this girl at any cost. The prototype of this house is the legendary Pavlov's House in Stalingrad"

"The German tanks shown in the trailer are panzer 4H models. This model did not go into production until April 1943. The battle of Stalingrad finished in February 1943 so the tanks couldn't have taken part in the battle. Having spent all that money on the movie you would think they would ask someone with a bit of historical knowledge for some advice."

Loathe 3D, and the fact that they made this into a love story (I thought only Hollywood would be retarded enough to do that). LOL at the tanks. Epic indeed.

Upvote 0