• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New players initial opinion

It sounds to me that you did actually see the persons. May i ask why you didnt just shoot them, or evaded those situations?
Yes this game is very difficult. It is trying to be difficult. Im not an expert on warfare but to me it seems logical when your in circumstances like a battlefield that someone would use concielment to gain an advantage. Yes there are specific advantages someone can exploit in this game.
examples:
1 teamwork
2 concielment
3 cover
4 anticipating enemy movement
5 ambush
6 entrapment
7 reflex
8 practice

I find ro players to be very friendly when your not making un-supported accusations. Now if you where to list specifics like the name of map, the location on map, direction of fire and any other relavant detail then you would have supported your claim and allow something to be done. To just lay out accusations without supporting data is futile as it cannot remedy anything. You stated it was "the fact that all the 'veteran players' are using map exploits to shoot people through scenery e.t.c". Myself, I need confirmed evidence, supporting arguments and compelling data to even consider something fact. After that i need time to process, analyze, and test before I feel comfortable agreeing something is "fact". But that is just me, I'm just not gullible enough to believe an opinion is fact. I can honestly say the older I get the more I dont believe actually.

I hope this post helps and I dont sound ugly in tone.

If you had bothered reading my post you would have seen that i said i can shoot them. I am not complaining that i cannot shoot them, but about the fact that it can be done in the first place. I could do the same thing to them but i am not a cheap ass, ok?

Furthermore i haven't made any accusations, i have pointed out what i consider to be a flaw in the gameplay and others agree with me!!

And i am not talking about bushes.... ?

READ MY POSTS PLEASE!

Upvote 0
I think the problem is that IRL you would have to show more of yourself to take a shot than in the game because you would have to clear the gun over the obstacle. Now as long as you can see something and get the tip of the iron sight on the model you can shoot it..the bullets go straight through whatever you're shooting over and you only have to show up to the player models eyes. Crouched and iron sighted (but not leaning) seems to be OK though because of the way sandbags and window frames are set at a particular height.

I think the only way to fix this is for the gun to have more impact on its surroundings. So if you go too close to a wall you come out of iron sight until the gun is able to clear the obstruction. Hopefully we'll get something like this in RO2, but its no big deal really. You just have to be more careful looking for the pixels..(a nice big resolution helps. Preferably at least 1600x1200)

Upvote 0
Wow did you even read my post?

I said nothing of cheating. People are shooting with maybe a pixel of the top of their head showing. Yes i can shoot them but the point is that this shouldn't be possible. I suggested that i thought they were 'veteran' players because they are the ones with the highest scores ( most over 100 ).

The game is not fun when what looks like a fly in your vision can shoot you from a window or wherever when his gun is buried in the scenery. In fact it is ridiculous and nothing to do with skill.

I think i will move on and find another game to play if this is the attitude i can expect.

Thanks to the other guys for explaining things :)

This sounds pretty realistic to me. Try looking 100 yards down a street or field and pick a rock or a building or window...do you think you could see the corner of someones head behind it as they aim their rifle? Probably not.
It's not exploiting at all, it's just players who have learned to use cover well. This is a skill in itself. A lot of the newer players this week are still used to the more run'n'gun style games they came from where you are sort of "supposed" to be on the move more often and it's not really possible to take proper cover. This game is different, it's based on realism and a good defender or someone advancing using good cover will find a spot where they are least likely to be seen and use it to help their team win.
Find them, and flank them, get on VOIP and call their location so people can put pressure on them.

Upvote 0
Well, if someone is clipping, just clip back ;) Anyway as people have said, most people do it by accident, it just happens when you are trying to expose as little as possible of yourself.

Clipping back isn't any option when you are trying to attack from open area and sniper is clipping from window, only solution is to block his view with smoke or run or hide faster than he can shoot. Many players don't even know if they are clipping or not, becouse they can't know it themselves. players point of view is correctly in eye level and it isn't any problem, problem is when weapon is clipping through wall and you can only see helmet or arm shooting at you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Clipping back isn't any option when you are trying to attack from open area and sniper is clipping from window, only solution is to block his view with smoke or run or hide faster than he can shoot. Many players don't even know if they are clipping or not, becouse they can't know it themselves. players point of view is correctly in eye level and it isn't any problem, problem is when weapon is clipping through wall and you can only see helmet or arm shooting at you.

Yeah that's true. However, you shouldn't really be attacking from an open area without cover anyway :]

Upvote 0
If you had bothered reading my post you would have seen that i said i can shoot them. I am not complaining that i cannot shoot them, but about the fact that it can be done in the first place. I could do the same thing to them but i am not a cheap ass, ok?

Furthermore i haven't made any accusations, i have pointed out what i consider to be a flaw in the gameplay and others agree with me!!

And i am not talking about bushes.... ?

READ MY POSTS PLEASE!

Typical,
First of all I'm happy to see you decided to stick with RO. I'm always happy to see more people who enjoy this fun game! Welcome to our little game community.

As per this issue, I would second a lot of people's comments: There may be some issues with the engine that limit what can be done with this problem of the gun and or other body part models clipping through terrain, and we can hope that the devs will address it to the extent that they can...you will find that they have been an exceptional bunch in the support area.

Also, as such it is not really to be called a map exploit because it is not a map-specific issue where there are secret locations or techniques where you can take advantage of a glitch, but it can happen in theory anywhere on any map that you can find cover and lean out from it. And so this means a couple of things.

Primarily it means that people will naturally do it when behind cover and trying to expose as little of their model as possible while looking out; and they will have no way to know they are doing it (from one's own pov it feels like one is exposed because one has a clear line of sight) unless they have a buddy spotting them or are being accused of it continuously by the other team. More on this in my final paragraph.

So I think the fact that in your experience veteran players are more likely to be doing this reflects more on the fact that RO players appreciate the value of cover in the play of this game than it does any conscious exploitation. I think if you say you won't use it, the chances are very high that you have been and will continue to without even being aware of it. You would have to shun cover and the lean key entirely to be certain of not doing it, and for my two cents such an approach to the game is probably inadvisable.

It is also somewhat difficult for me to justify asking someone to stop clipping because they have no way to know if they have corrected the problem short of me saying "thanks, I can now see all of your head and shoulder, so I can shoot you more easily" and proceeding to kill them or waiting for them to say they are ready to see who has the fastest draw, either of which would be unfair and at least as unrealistic as the clipping itself! It would be equally unfair to ask others to avoid leaning out from behind cover altogether as this in itself is an important tactic, especially for the snipers. It is kind of a dilemma. It seems to me the best thing to do is to accept that it happens, and that you yourself are more than likely guilty of it too --so long as you use cover and fire from out of it-- for the time being, while participating in voicing your concern in the bug report forum where this issue has been questioned.

Upvote 0
Well im quite good at RO now, but i haven't been using the map expolits against the n00b's all what im getting feed up is people not being able to use the sniper rifles, and just contious tking on perpus.

But many of the new players are fun to play with, and will work in teams with you.
The TK's should stop for the most part after the free trial. This always happens during free weeks. People will try the game out, and if they decide they don't like it, and aren't going to buy RO, they start to TK, and act like the usual CS asshats.

Upvote 0