• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New players initial opinion

Typical

Dec 8, 2006
This started as such a lot of fun!

What is not fun however, is the fact that all the 'veteran players' are using map exploits to shoot people through scenery e.t.c

This needs to be fixed if you want more people to play this game that has such huge potential for greatness. Please fix this pathetic exploit it is ruining the game for me and many others :(

This started as such a lot of fun!

What is not fun however, is the fact that all the 'veteran players' are using map exploits to shoot people through scenery e.t.c

This needs to be fixed if you want more people to play this game that has such huge potential for greatness. Please fix this pathetic exploit it is ruining the game for me and many others :(

Ya know, I operate and admin two fine servers with some of the greatest players around. I have yet to find any such thng taking place. Further, I know of no upstanding RO player that would do such a thing to n00bs.

If anything, its numbskull n00bs doing other n00bs in. I do not, for a second believe this is happening as you describe at all.

Upvote 0
yeah, whatcha got mate?

There *is* a problem with leaning (with being how the 'camera' and the 'bullet' are oriented in relation to the model, there's a lot that goes into it) where some unscrupulous players can reveal just a pixel or two and shoot, but I don't see it so much as its game breaking.

It's also very possible to pull off some seemingly bull**** shots in RO, but it's just practice. And all it takes is one bullet, don't forget :) If two people are shooting at you you may never know it, because one person could be 200 yards away.

Upvote 0
There are a few possiblities
1. The players are really that good, I know it seems like a cheat to say that but its true. You might be ok at the game when you get it but you can get amazingly good if you stick with it. It just takes alot of effort and time to get up to that level and people really can make these shots and there all legit.

2. You were fighting against a bot. The bots in ROOST are dumb as a post but if you increase the skill level they get super aim. It becomes unrealistic as they can shoot from the hip on the move and get you in only one bullet. You should filter out bot servers or when joining a server look at the player number ie 25/32 or 32/32 players then check the bottom left corner of the server browser. If only a few names appear or less then the number really on the server, like it says 32/32 but there is no names listed then there all bots. When names arent listed there bots

3. And the last possibilities is the clipping error. Its really bad when leaning and crouching in windows, it happens in almost every game (remember left lean in COD) I have played and its unlikely to get fixed. Most players wont know there doing it when it happens so its best to just move on and dont going back to that spot, to over chat tell the person that there clipping (only do that if you sure, if you just didnt notice the shooter he might be good).

Also when listing a bug or error try to give details, you will find people very defensive unless you can prove your point. Having played ROOST since release (and mod days) I havent seen this error of which you speak but you also have a very general discription of it that makes it hard to judge if its a really error or just someone getting use to the game.

I will also note that we have yet to find a cheater in ROOST, well there was a suspected one last week but that is the first time anyone has meantioned a cheater or found one that I know of.

Upvote 0
YES!! I had this EXACT SAME COMPLAINT when i started playing RO. It was so frustratinging getting pwnd by players who were obviously using exploits. But then a funny thing happend. The better I got, the the less I noticed people expoiting. Now I hardly, if ever, get pwnd by an expoit. It's almost like they've all left. They prolly just pH34r m3 now!!!

I bet, if you stick with it, these no-good expoitinging cheaters will pH34r j00 2!!! And you'll never see them again.

(PS: Sorry about the 1337 speak.)

Upvote 0
YES!! I had this EXACT SAME COMPLAINT when i started playing RO. It was so frustratinging getting pwnd by players who were obviously using exploits. But then a funny thing happend. The better I got, the the less I noticed people expoiting. Now I hardly, if ever, get pwnd by an expoit. It's almost like they've all left. They prolly just pH34r m3 now!!!

I bet, if you stick with it, these no-good expoitinging cheaters will pH34r j00 2!!! And you'll never see them again.

(PS: Sorry about the 1337 speak.)

Wow did you even read my post?

I said nothing of cheating. People are shooting with maybe a pixel of the top of their head showing. Yes i can shoot them but the point is that this shouldn't be possible. I suggested that i thought they were 'veteran' players because they are the ones with the highest scores ( most over 100 ).

The game is not fun when what looks like a fly in your vision can shoot you from a window or wherever when his gun is buried in the scenery. In fact it is ridiculous and nothing to do with skill.

I think i will move on and find another game to play if this is the attitude i can expect.

Thanks to the other guys for explaining things :)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is what Typical is speaking about, but I did notice an exploit/glitch on one. On Danzig behind the broken bricks and sandbags across the left bridge(soviet side) there was a German guy hiding behind the bricks sniping at me. Every now and then it appear that the bricks would dissappear leaving him exposed. A second later, the bricks would reappear and he would be gone. Funny thing was he managed to shoot me through the bricks and kill me. =/ I dunno though, it was only once instance, I came back with a headshot =]

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is what Typical is speaking about, but I did notice an exploit/glitch on one. On Danzig behind the broken bricks and sandbags across the left bridge(soviet side) there was a German guy hiding behind the bricks sniping at me. Every now and then it appear that the bricks would dissappear leaving him exposed. A second later, the bricks would reappear and he would be gone. Funny thing was he managed to shoot me through the bricks and kill me. =/ I dunno though, it was only once instance, I came back with a headshot =]

That's a graphical bug. It happens to me aswell, at least when I watch through the sniper scopes. In some cases static meshes just don't show up.

Upvote 0
Well I should also point out that people with high scores, chances are there capping the objectives and playing the game more then just sniping. You get 10 points for taking and objective.

Also yes this is a known bug that exists in almost every game I have played.
Include collision and it would be instantly gone, but it appears most people don't like collision, even though it would make MPs very usefull in small corridors.

@Newcomers Most people are nice in this community, at least what I have experienced so far.
But never forget each community has its share of idiots who have the feeling that whatever is possible should be done.
Nonetheless it is possible that those people were "exploiting" it without their knowledge.
Personally I don't know when I do.

Upvote 0

That's an exploit?

Creeping up so you can JUST barely see over the obstacle in front of you to fire, and all the other person sees is a dot?

Well... learn somethin new everyday.

Usually when I see a dot like that I don't think 'exploit.'

I think 'Oh goody, something to shoot at.' :p

Upvote 0
Hmmm creeping up to the edge of an obstacle and firing over it, exposing very little of yourself...in tanking it's called Hull Down, and yes at 1000 meters all you will see is a speck, if anything, until those rounds start heading your way.

But back to the firing-through-the-bushes thing, of course it's possible; I can shoot through the bushes in my yard all day long and whoever is on the other side is going to be VERY unhappy. Bushes=concealment, not cover. OTOH, there ARE stands of bushes and trees and such that you can't shoot through; much depends on how the map is set up and what 'mesh' is being used for that particular map feature; it takes practice to know what you can and can't shoot through.

I have to agree with some of the other players; there is exploitation of map features by some players, but very little if any true 'cheating'. VAC sees to it that anything like cheating is taken care of, and certainly doesn't allow any 'cheat codes' to be introduced. I would hazard a gues that the 'uber pwner' that was witnessed was either a bot or a very good RO player- this community tends to breed players of better technical proficiency than any I've seen to date. And given the inherent difficulty level of RO to begin with, it's not hard to see where someone would mistake 'experience' for 'cheating'. Ballistics, deflection, line of sight- all of it comes into play in a BIG way in this part of the gaming world.

Upvote 0
Wow did you even read my post?

I said nothing of cheating. People are shooting with maybe a pixel of the top of their head showing. Yes i can shoot them but the point is that this shouldn't be possible. I suggested that i thought they were 'veteran' players because they are the ones with the highest scores ( most over 100 ).

The game is not fun when what looks like a fly in your vision can shoot you from a window or wherever when his gun is buried in the scenery. In fact it is ridiculous and nothing to do with skill.

I think i will move on and find another game to play if this is the attitude i can expect.

Thanks to the other guys for explaining things :)

It sounds to me that you did actually see the persons. May i ask why you didnt just shoot them, or evaded those situations?
Yes this game is very difficult. It is trying to be difficult. Im not an expert on warfare but to me it seems logical when your in circumstances like a battlefield that someone would use concielment to gain an advantage. Yes there are specific advantages someone can exploit in this game.
examples:
1 teamwork
2 concielment
3 cover
4 anticipating enemy movement
5 ambush
6 entrapment
7 reflex
8 practice

I find ro players to be very friendly when your not making un-supported accusations. Now if you where to list specifics like the name of map, the location on map, direction of fire and any other relavant detail then you would have supported your claim and allow something to be done. To just lay out accusations without supporting data is futile as it cannot remedy anything. You stated it was "the fact that all the 'veteran players' are using map exploits to shoot people through scenery e.t.c". Myself, I need confirmed evidence, supporting arguments and compelling data to even consider something fact. After that i need time to process, analyze, and test before I feel comfortable agreeing something is "fact". But that is just me, I'm just not gullible enough to believe an opinion is fact. I can honestly say the older I get the more I dont believe actually.

I hope this post helps and I dont sound ugly in tone.

Upvote 0
I think it should be said that one of the BIG reasons why 'older' RO players want data, screenshots, and more data is for them to be able to properly investigate the problem to see if it really IS a problem, and not an 'everyday RO occurrence' that we all tend to accept as-is. If it does turn out to be a real issue, you can bet the developers will be appropriately notified and (especially if it turns out to be a game-breaker) patched either separately or in the next big update.

We don't mean to sound competely defensive or hostile towards such complaints; as a whole, the RO community is VERY concerned with the continued technical excellence of the game and anything we can do as players (or through the developers) to make it better is of great interest to us.

Upvote 0
Sorry if my response annoyed you Typical. It wasnt my intention. For the record, yes bullets come from the top of the head, not the gun, and can initially be annoying. But trust me, after you get a little experience, this minor glitch/exploit/engine shortcomming etc. will be the least of your worries. I simply never get my head handed to me by a pixel peaker anymore. Not becasue Im great or becasue I pwn all the time, but simply because it is easy to counter. I was simply trying to say that good tactics and experience can lay the hammer down on these (few) lame expoits everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the tip of the head bug was sorted a while back. The player POV is now where the eyes on the model are. Its only leaning to the left that isn't quite right afaik.

I didn't take the time to read thoroughly all the previous posts but the tip-of-helmet view problem is INEXISTENT, at least from a player's POV perpsective, so excuse me if I repeat what somebody already wrote.

Ramm-Jaeger stated in a previous post that he coded the player's POV where the player's eyes actually are!

What happens, when leaning, is that the leaning player is looking through the wall/sandbag/tree/whatever texture or static mesh (I don't know enough about textures to explain it properly but that's what happens) it's not his POV being from the tip of his helmet.

Basically it has to do with some textures not being solid. Maybe a mapper or Dev could explain this better. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0