• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Patch Feedback

but I think that either TWI should eliminate AT classes from maps when tanks are disabled

This kind of makes sense doesn't it?

Why would you need a cumbersome class that is supposed to tank down tanks on infantry maps. Unless you mean engineers of course, but those can also use satchels to blow up certain prescripted areas of the map.

The perception of there being too many assault rifles will not change until they decide to unlock classes upon previous classes taken. For example, when a squad fills, it needs to fill completely before a new squad leader and machine gunner can be selected. And after 2 squads, they can unlock the sniper and so on.

Upvote 0
This kind of makes sense doesn't it?

Why would you need a cumbersome class that is supposed to tank down tanks on infantry maps. Unless you mean engineers of course, but those can also use satchels to blow up certain prescripted areas of the map.

The perception of there being too many assault rifles will not change until they decide to unlock classes upon previous classes taken. For example, when a squad fills, it needs to fill completely before a new squad leader and machine gunner can be selected. And after 2 squads, they can unlock the sniper and so on.
Yes this would make more sense. Right now, there are suddenly 6 squad leaders in existence right from the get go, which adds ALOT of SMGs into the game.

Upvote 0
but I think that either TWI should eliminate AT classes from maps when tanks are disabled, or make those classes use rifles instead of SMGs.

I think they shouldn't eliminate that class (AT nades/ satchels, not the AT rifle), because you're really talking about the engineer. The engineer's task is also to blow up objectives/ clear new routes of entry into objectives. That is a rather vital task, if you ask me, and the capacity for carrying it out should not be removed.

Limit, yes. Not completely lock out. Same goes for the already mentioned SL issue. My minuscule suggestion is to have 2 (example, but probably not more than 3) full squads open from the start (SL and all the special roles and riflemen) and the rest of the squads closed, apart from the riflemen positions. Then as the first two squads become full, the third one is open (SL and special roles are unlocked). Once the third fills up, the next one opens, etc.

The trick is, riflemen would always be open for all squads, so you would never have a situation where you have no role to select because none are currently available.

A variation on this would be to apply the closing mechanic only to SLs, while having all the special roles across all squads always open (up to the limit suitable for the current number of players on the server).

The thing has been suggested already, I believe, and I see it as something that would go a really long way towards further improving the situation. Are there any cons of such a solution? I am not aware, but if anyone happens to think of any, please share.

Cheers. :IS2:

Upvote 0
This is getting tiresome with the chat about Russians having more smgz and such. I wish people would shut up about it. The Germans had pioneer / engineer battalions that had nothing but semi and automatic weapons.

And don't forget about the Russian conscipts that didn't even have a weapon. You want to get historical should you start the game with just some rifle rounds as playing Russians?
Source plz...

Upvote 0
Choices..... its all about choices.

Take them away and the "control freaks" take over. After this current patch the gameplay has improved 1000%. Players are enjoying themselves and remarking about such in game. The loadouts at this time are dandy.

What needs further attention are the sounds and their implementation. Certain weapons are over modulated and distort, others are not quite there or sound way off, most are fine. A big wish is to be able to turn all the music off entirely.

The sound system itself needs further enhancement or expansion into other modes that focus more on the utilization of individual sound cards. (many users have Creative's Xfi Audigy/Fatality cards in use that work wonders for RO and would love to enjoy the full potential of those cards in RO2 - myself included).

Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
i want my money back, this game is boring as hell now

You might need more than that back! I suggest asking for a brain as well!:D

Sorry but stupid comments will receive stupid responses!

Take it easy mate....:)

Patch is great it is just strange that we still have up to 6 squad leaders...why do we need so many? Would not 4 do on every map? TWI? Any thoughts on that. 1 squad seems rather empty every time with sometimes only the SL....

Upvote 0

Patch is great it is just strange that we still have up to 6 squad leaders...why do we need so many? Would not 4 do on every map? TWI? Any thoughts on that. 1 squad seems rather empty every time with sometimes only the SL....

My suggestion for TWI: number of available slots/class should depend on the total number of players in given team, for instance 5 players -- one slot for squad leader, 10 players - 2 slots etc.

Should be easy to implement (proportional slots / class as percentage, not fixed no matter how many players are globally)

Upvote 0
It's certainly an improvement, but IMO, there are still too many SMGs on the battlefield. A couple of nights ago I was playing on a full 64 player server playing Commissar's House, and 18 players on my team (Russian) had SMGs or semi-autos, with only 12 using rifles. One reason for this was the fact that, despite the fact that tanks were disabled (as they are on most servers, for good reason), there were still 4 AT class slots (satchels, AT grenade -- not AT rifle), and all of those players were using SMGs.

So in summary, things are getting better, but I think that either TWI should eliminate AT classes from maps when tanks are disabled, or make those classes use rifles instead of SMGs.

Anything that truly improves the game play and boosts the community is fine with me. But I have just a quibble about semantics here. You first say too many "SMGs" but then you count semi-autos with them in your ratio, and so seemingly only count the bolts as "rifles" (and probably didn't count snipers which are mostly bolt-action, either). When you meant to count auto and semi-auto vs bolt-action you should call it that instead of "SMGs" (a category which does not include semi-auto rifles) vs "rifles"(a category which includes not only the non-scoped bolt-action rifle but also other rifles like the Tokarev SVT/AVT and the scoped snipers) because the actual numbers will look different depending on what you are calling your categories. At the end of the day you might still say it is too many of one or the other, I'm not really debating that, but there will be a difference.

Also, the assault class itself is not without ambiguity because the experimental weapons Mkb and AVT are selective fire meaning at times they are used like a semi-automatic rifle and not like a machine gun. So the Mkb introduces the german-invented category of the "assault rifle" and the AVT is an attempt at that type of hybrid apparently to make up for shortages of machine guns. The Mkb is probably ambivalent (equally effective) as full or semi auto and probably used more in the game on full auto than semi, but the AVT is way easier to handle in semi-auto mode, effectively making it an additional elite rifleman more of the time. These guns could be counted as .5 machine gun on German side and .5 rifles on Russian :p.

But finally and most arguably, it's unfair to call for no SMG-carrying engineers (what you call AT) when there are no tanks around. Engineers are available when there are no tanks because there are destroyable objectives on the map, which can make a significant difference in battles. And because these objectives are usually in or very near to contested objectives, the engineers have to get up close in the hot zones with the assault troopers, and they may often need to defend themselves in close quarters for which, historical or not, the SMG is well-suited in terms of the game situation (also, if there are tanks around, they're usually behind their own line and an engineer has to get waaaay more close to enemies than an AT rifle does if he wants to serve as AT). Taking away engineers just because there are no tanks or taking away the SMGs from the engineers would be just bad news.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think they shouldn't eliminate that class (AT nades/ satchels, not the AT rifle), because you're really talking about the engineer. The engineer's task is also to blow up objectives/ clear new routes of entry into objectives. That is a rather vital task, if you ask me, and the capacity for carrying it out should not be removed.

Limit, yes. Not completely lock out. Same goes for the already mentioned SL issue. My minuscule suggestion is to have 2 (example, but probably not more than 3) full squads open from the start (SL and all the special roles and riflemen) and the rest of the squads closed, apart from the riflemen positions. Then as the first two squads become full, the third one is open (SL and special roles are unlocked). Once the third fills up, the next one opens, etc.

The trick is, riflemen would always be open for all squads, so you would never have a situation where you have no role to select because none are currently available.

A variation on this would be to apply the closing mechanic only to SLs, while having all the special roles across all squads always open (up to the limit suitable for the current number of players on the server).

The thing has been suggested already, I believe, and I see it as something that would go a really long way towards further improving the situation. Are there any cons of such a solution? I am not aware, but if anyone happens to think of any, please share.

Cheers. :IS2:
Yeah of course engineers should remain on maps with destroyable objectives. I'm just saying that they shouldn't exist on maps where they have no purpose, and even then, I think there should be less of them. 4 engineers per team on a 64 player server seems a bit excessive. I think 2 per team would still be fine, and it would further reduce the SMGs on the battlefield. OR just give engineers rifles instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About the problem with locking the squads if there's not enough people:
Let's say there's enough people and all the squads are open, and you select a SL role of the last opened squad. Then let's say a lot of players leave the game. The only way to keep that mechanic working is to close your squad and force you out of SL role into a rifleman role of the previous squad. And that is kind of a bad design if you ask me...
There should be another way...

Upvote 0
Well theirs one thing to note with engineer "squads", at lest the Germans ones when used in combat situations where out fitted as a rifle squads, that is one or two SMGs and LMGs (typically just one each), the rest of the 10-15 man squad was equipped with "bolt action" rifles, not to mention they typical explosives they carried...

Do not fully know what the Russians had but at first glance from the Red army hand book it seems that even bolt action rifles may have been uncommon in Russian engineer units (at the lest SMG and LMGs where seemingly not present).

Upvote 0
Agree with OP- Great patch, improved my performance and added some nice pacing to objectives.

Hopefully with the new map they are working on and the SDK coming out, the game will finally pay off.

Stupid EA nerfed my main weapon in BF3, so ill prob be comming back to HOS soon, since im betting same as you, the time for HOS to shine is approaching fast.

Upvote 0

yep everyone camping with rifles for the whole game is so exciting.

Upvote 0