• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"New" Gamemode (Classic)

Morfs

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 14, 2016
I request, as someone who's been playing Killing Floor for a long, long time ( In hours, 1800 in 1, 800 in 2) that a new mode is added to the game for those that find all the added zeds and bosses (among many other features which feel redundant in most cases) to be irritating. Not even hard, just irritating. While I don't share some of these opinions myself, I do talk with others whom have had a long tenure with the games as well.

Our conclusion is that the standard gamemode is muddled with so much extra stuff that it takes the feel that people seek from Killing Floor away from them. I honestly agree, since I find myself seldom playing these days
(Limited drive space forces me to pick games carefully, and this one is larger than even my favorite MMO, PSO2. I suggest finding a way to compress the game without effect to the gameplay)

So let's take a step back since we've come so far and analyze why people came to play KF to begin with.
The classic game had a simple balance. A tad underwhelming, but it also did everything it needed to and retained challenge even without extra zeds like Quarterpounds and Alpha clots. A balance, if you will. A dreaded trial such as that is understandably difficult, but you're closer than ever before.
I'm of the firm belief that Hans Volter is a beautiful addition as a boss, but after he and the patriarch, I just like each one less and less due to the rock-paper-scissors nature of the random bosses. With Hans and Kevin, we have a nice combat feel which can challenge anyone in a pinch. King Fleshpound retained that, but Abom and Matriarch are less interesting and more trouble than they're worth. Again, not difficult, but they don't feel like bosses I want to fight often. I sometimes quit when they appear.
I also personally enjoy the weapon upgrades, but half the time I don't feel like they do anything. Some guns just receive negligible upgrades that make the price not worth it. And SOME guns (The Explosive pistol specifically) become THE strongest gun in the game with every upgrade.
Last point, and absolutely not the least, is that people came to KF1 for the game, but people like me stayed for the mods. KF1 was the epitome of a game made 300 times better with community alterations. To this day, such things are still heavily desired and adds to playtime overall. I get that it's not profitable to cater to people making free content, since weapons have to be sold now, but where there's a will, there's a way. I concur this time with many others: KF2's standard game mode genuinely feels like TWI's personal take on the old modded servers. However, due to the speed of developing weapons, enemies, and maps, I find there's much more to be desired.

If you want to bring some of the older veterans that dislike the current game feel, I highly suggest this simple little mode.
Hell, if it were a customizable mode instead, that would be pretty incredible, but I can also see why that would be ill-advised on a company's standpoint.

To cut out all the blabber, I'll summarize it like this:
*Classic Gamemode
-removes zed variants (Alphas, QPs, E-DAR, anything that isn't the ones we all know so well.)
-removes and/or nerfs weapon upgrades
-Modifies zed spawning so that challenging combinations appear more frequently
-removes redundant bosses (Though I still like Hans enough that he could stay)
-no bonus objectives outside of Objective mode
and finally
-consider customization, as I personally enjoy some zeds/bosses which others do not.

In this, I hope that people will either add to this idea or confirm these thoughts to make it feel more properly "classic." Some aspects like the extra zed attacks, sprinting, and shop price streamlining may be tough to overcome or even remove at all, but some changes have been and are duly welcome. In fact the only thing that irked me when I first got this game was that all the guns were the same prices across each perk, so you could buy whatever playing as whatever without issue.

Thanks for your consideration. Keep on trucking, you guys. You're not doing bad at all, but some things need addressing. I enjoyed this game and want to continue enjoying it, so keep on stockpiling these ideas so you can make the game the greatest it's ever been, unanimously. Until that day comes, I'll find myself back in KF1 frequently, playing on empty modded servers as unique classes which I wished the Survivalist could customize into, fitting everyone's fancy.
Oh, and thanks for your time and tenacity for being able to sit through this... mess of thoughts.

[SPOILER="Redundant Personal Notes"]While this is technically my second post to the site, my first one was lost to the old forum hiccups. In it, I detailed a long list of a variety of weapons that would be fun to see or see back to the game. Whether or not you all managed to see it despite it's disappearance, I have to commend the Tripwire Team that's responsible for several of the weapons added. Either y'all think just like I do, or that was one HELL of a coincidence. The Incision, the Healthrower, the new Incendiary M4, even the shotgun pistols, and ESPECIALLY the Riot Shield (which was a given either way) with the nice pick on that G18 for that last one. The exact Glock that I requested and everything. Y'all add in a high-capacity handgun for SWAT/Slinger and then you'll hit another request of mine in the Five-Seven. [/SPOILER]

You can always play Killing Floor 1 🙃

Jokes aside, I'm a bit skeptical of that new trend of going "vanilla". Like it or not, but games are ever evolving now. Sometimes for good...sometimes for worse.

It doesn't help that vanilla is actually quite a broad term : do you mean vanilla as in "very first build" (like, during the early access) or upon full release? What should we keep, what should we remove? Because surely, you can't say that every update that came after was a shitshow...

I do find it funny out of nostalgia. Like obviously for WoW, it brought back memories to MANY gamers. But for KF2? I honestly believe it be fairly unnecessary

Upvote 0