• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Commando Weapon & Alternate Fire

l2ampage

May 17, 2009
Below is one suggestion for a weapon and a few suggestions for the further use of alternate fire.

Commando seemed to get a little shafted. Unlike every other perk but the Firebug, Commando gets one weapon, the Bullpup. The Bullpup's great and all, but who doesn't like variety? My suggestion for a second weapon is a high-priced M16 with mounted grenade launcher. The grenade launcher would use existing hand grenade ammo to launch a grenade that explodes on contact. Obviously this is not totally realistic, as mounted launchers use specialized grenades, but hey, this is a Zombie game after all. These would be fired with, you guessed it, the alt fire button.

Alternate fire is a great inclusion in any game, and I am sad to see this used in only a few guns. I think these alt fire mechanics would greatly benefit the depth and fun of the game:
Hunting Shotgun - Fires from both barrels at once.
Dual Handcannon - Fires from both guns at once, with less accuracy.
Melee Weapons - Limiting the different animations to fire and alt fire instead of what I assume to be random.
Grenade - Cooks the grenade.
Flamethrower - This is the addition I think would be the most fun. Alternate fire on a flamethrower takes an ammo tank from your supply and throws it in front of you. Why would this be useful? Because it's explosive. The Firebug now has the ability to set a trap for zombies by creating it's own explosive trap with the cost of a large portion of ammo stock. The catch would be that to ignite the tank you would have to shoot it with a regular bullet. If these things ignited from regular fire, your bottomless pocket would explode every time you caught yourself on fire! To ignite your explosive trap would require you to switch to your pistol or have a teammate do it. I think this would be a great addition to the perk that gets little as it is. (Great for surprising those zombies as they break down the door too)

Seems like the Handcannon, Hunting Shotgun, and Grenade changes would even be easy to code in as well.

I do agree with you on the commando being short handed, but you will see other perks wanting more as well if they made a major change such as that. Would be nice though.

Cooking grenade would be wonderful. Very useful for when that door bursts open.

Not sure if I read this wrong but I do think the Hunting Shotty has the x2 alt shot.

Flamer's get grenade bonus (level 3 I think) that makes the grenade add a flame dot.

All we have to do is have patience. I'm sure with a little time the perks will balance out, as will the weapons.

Upvote 0
i really like the flamethrower idea, that would be amazing

Well, as TWI is going for semi-realism, you must know..

Flamethrower tanks don't actually explode if shot in real life. You'd probably get like a huge shock and just do a flip or be sent flying, kinda like a comedy movie style. It's unrealistically portrayed in many games and movies, as Flamethrower tanks are usually two gases that need to mix to cause the flame...so you'd need to shoot both Tanks, have it leak out, and mix together, than fire a third shot for it to blow up. :p

Cool other suggestions though.

Upvote 0
Below is one suggestion for a weapon and a few suggestions for the further use of alternate fire.

Commando seemed to get a little shafted. Unlike every other perk but the Firebug, Commando gets one weapon, the Bullpup. The Bullpup's great and all, but who doesn't like variety? My suggestion for a second weapon is a high-priced M16 with mounted grenade launcher. The grenade launcher would use existing hand grenade ammo to launch a grenade that explodes on contact. Obviously this is not totally realistic, as mounted launchers use specialized grenades, but hey, this is a Zombie game after all. These would be fired with, you guessed it, the alt fire button.

Alternate fire is a great inclusion in any game, and I am sad to see this used in only a few guns. I think these alt fire mechanics would greatly benefit the depth and fun of the game:
Hunting Shotgun - Fires from both barrels at once.
Dual Handcannon - Fires from both guns at once, with less accuracy.
Melee Weapons - Limiting the different animations to fire and alt fire instead of what I assume to be random.
Grenade - Cooks the grenade.
Flamethrower - This is the addition I think would be the most fun. Alternate fire on a flamethrower takes an ammo tank from your supply and throws it in front of you. Why would this be useful? Because it's explosive. The Firebug now has the ability to set a trap for zombies by creating it's own explosive trap with the cost of a large portion of ammo stock. The catch would be that to ignite the tank you would have to shoot it with a regular bullet. If these things ignited from regular fire, your bottomless pocket would explode every time you caught yourself on fire! To ignite your explosive trap would require you to switch to your pistol or have a teammate do it. I think this would be a great addition to the perk that gets little as it is. (Great for surprising those zombies as they break down the door too)

Seems like the Handcannon, Hunting Shotgun, and Grenade changes would even be easy to code in as well.

i really like both the new commando weapon and the gas tank idea!

alt fire for the eagle and beretta seems neat aswell

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the Commando perk simply needs to affect the 9mm Handgun as well, as this weapon isn't touched by ANY of the perks, and it would simply make sense as it is the more feasible handgun (I can take down more gorefasts and clots with well placed beretta shots than I can with handcannons, though this is with sharpshooter.)

Since this would make people ask for another Firebug weapon, either look below, or thing of this: Why don't we have flaming crossbow bolts yet? That would be nice. Just as well as having exploding crossbow bolts that arc more and don't go as far.

Well, as TWI is going for semi-realism, you must know..

Flamethrower tanks don't actually explode if shot in real life. You'd probably get like a huge shock and just do a flip or be sent flying, kinda like a comedy movie style. It's unrealistically portrayed in many games and movies, as Flamethrower tanks are usually two gases that need to mix to cause the flame...so you'd need to shoot both Tanks, have it leak out, and mix together, than fire a third shot for it to blow up. :p

Cool other suggestions though.
It's been proven that a machine gun or sniper rifle round will pierce both compartments if shot from the right angle on old WW2 flamethrowers and will consequently engulf the user in flames. They were not bullet proof, nor has any weapon ever been that isn't a tank, APC, or a mounted machine gun shield.

Just as well, considering this flamethrower looks as if it is homemade and has only a single compartment tank; I think it is safe to say that it's most likely a propane and/or compressed fuel tank of some kind, which in that case, would explode in a wall of fire.

I am way down for that secondary fire for flamethrower. If it was part of the lvl 5 perk upgrade then I would be all for it.

Upvote 0
Grenade cooking... The ultimate griefers tool! :)

Give me it please, i want to go cook nades and shout "WTF GUISE YOU TKED ME WITH NADE" down my microphone, PS: Grenades have no 3rd person animation in Killing Floor, so yeah ;)

But other than that, uhm...Yeah a new Commando gun would be nice, same for a better alt fire, i'd prefer burst fire to single shot, or atleast a change in the Sight texture even though it may be pointless to some, i'd like the change from red to green etc...for different levels. with different light settings.

Upvote 0