• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need help in video editing

Bolt

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006
In the steppes of Crimea
Guys, I know almost nothing about video editing, so I need your help.

I have a .wmv file (already converted to .avi) of Russian WW2 movie, which I would like to share with via youtube, but before that I want to add the translation. I want to make subtitles show in the lower part, also because it will be in my youtube channel, I want them embed in the video, not a different subtitle file.

So, guys, here's a question: what software should I use (preferably free, but you can always recommend me non-free popular one, I think I can handle it :))? Any ideas?

Movie maker?
I've tried, but with no success.. I know I can add text there, but it will block all other view.. Is it possible to add subtitles with it? If yes, could you please write a little "how-to"?

I've done this before. I don't really like this program though, so if I ever do video editing again, I'm going to try a better program. Anyway:
  • Open Windows Movie Maker, make a new project.
  • Press CTRL+I to import your movie.
  • It might cut your movie in scenes of like 28 seconds, select all of those scenes and drag them onto the timeline or storyboard at the bottom.
  • Click "show timeline", or something like that (it's at the bottom)
  • Click the very first "scene"
  • Go Extra -> "Titles and..." (should be the second option)
  • Click the first link "title at beginning"
  • Click "more options: change titleanimation"
  • Select "subtitle"
  • Click "edit title text"
  • Type your text
  • Click "done, add to film"
  • Stupid Movie Maker put the text in FRONT of your movie. Drag the blue scene with your text from the "video" field to the "overlay" field right UNDER your first scene.
  • Now you can press play on the right side to test your movie.
  • You can then change when the text should appear by dragging it to the left or right, or change how long the text should stay by "stretching" the subtitle info
  • Copy and paste those subtitles and then edit it, and repeat
Movie Maker is a very illogical program, but that is how I did it ... I think. Try this first, and if that doesn't work, download Sony Vegas or something. :p If it doesn't work, blame Microsoft, not yourself. :)

Upvote 0