• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Nazi Zombie Boss / Hans Volter Tactics

I'm going to call BS on the "he can never get you if you just run around and stay behind him" strategy.

I've had like three or four separate instances now when he's grabbed me while not even remotely facing my direction, I just suddenly get locked in place and float over into his arms (or grabbed from much further than seems possible)

If any of you have played Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, it's a lot like any of the enemies with those BS cinematic instant-kill attacks like the Banshees. If you're within 10 feet of them, you're ALWAYS at risk for a grab when his smoke clouds are deployed. At least Hans' grab can't take you below 30 health with his, yeesh.

I'd also like to argue against the statement that he FULLY heals on each grab, unless someone has stood by as a commando and watched him go from near-death to 100% on a single grab. My reasoning? The most successful runs I've had against him did NOT involve avoiding his grabs at all, but rather just keeping a steady damage output.

Thus, I theorize that he only heals SOMEWHAT from each grab, and the reason most people think he's healing fully is because so many people are exercising such overly-cautious kiting tactics that you aren't doing ENOUGH damage between grabs. IE, if he can only heal 25% of his max health per grab and you're failing to take off more than 25% of his health between those grabs, you aren't going to make any progress, but if you're taking off 50% of his health you will.

I may be wrong, as I don't have any hard evidence for this, but this is my observation. Being overly cautious and kiting too much ends in failure far too often, while giving covering fire when Hans is targeting other people and damaging him consistently very often results in success (assuming everyone does a good job staying off those grenades and gas clouds. Or standing out in the open when he's got the machine guns out, or failing to fend off a melee rampage)

Upvote 0
I would assume he always heals at the same health threshold. Maybe not so much he heals to 100% every time and always heals at 25% or whatever but maybe yellow is 50%, orange is 30%, red is 10%. The numbers are made up for the example, I dont have the actual numbers.

I dont have data to back this up but that'd be the easiest option for TWI to do I think.

Upvote 0
Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but his resistance dies off right as he lets go the victim. Use that to your advantage.

I agree. If you are getting grabbed, make sure you have a weapon fully reloaded and ready to unload into his wrinkly face the second he lets you down, and then leg it as fast as you can. The Two-Barrel shotgun (just the 2 shells) and the Pulveriser (only one secondary hit though, just to be safe) can fill this purpose fairly well, and you can start legging it as soon as they are unloaded into his face.

Why did I say 2-barrel? Because with other weapons there is a risk that you spend too long doing the mag-dump and he'll unload his machine guns on you, killing you instantly.

ATTENTION:
If you play as the Berserker, I would recommend against the Eviscerator in Hans fight. It is heavy and it runs out of ammunition and fuel easily in a prolonged fight. Not to mention that while quite efficient against small trash, the secondary fire mode (spinning blade) is relatively weak against Hans. And... IT HAS NO PARRY! Which will result Hans turning the poor Zerker into mincemeat in no time at all at close range.

Upvote 0
We had pretty good success taking Hans down in less than 2 minutes with 3 to 6 players recently. Difficulty was hard only, haven't had the chance to move our group up to suicidal.

Basically you put as much damage into him as possible right away until he wants to heal. Everyone makes sure they are reloaded, one guy offers himself up to be drained (a support is usually a good bet with 50 more health, so he can be "overhealed" and escape safer) and then everyone heals the person that is drained. Upon Hans finishing up, people can start unloading at him again with high damage weapons, almost making sure that he heals again right away and the sequence repeats itself twice up until he is dead easily. This will give Hans only the time to drop grenades next to himself as he finishes healing, so the person that was drained needs to move away and then probably come back soon fast. Everyone in the team should at least be able to grab one extra medic weapon for dart healing if possible. Two medic weapons plus an AA12 is plenty for the support class in this case and the healing output is tremendous (pre level 20, after level 20, you can take the combat shotgun, too with medic pistol).

The only problem with this is the new incoming zeds, so you might need to chuck a grenade or two next to your allies to help them keep a clean position. On the last healing wave, if people time their remaining grenades well, he goes down so fast. Also people need to probably listen to the guy who is right next to Hans to be told when to start/stop firing as he switches his stage and finishes draining.

I think this tactic might work well in higher difficulties, because you do not really need damage mitigation, as you aren't supposed to take damage outside of the draining that happens. But this of course needs to be tested.

Upvote 0