• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Mosin Pictures

{YBBS}Sage

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2006
Wow, this one turned out better than I expected!

marks0yq.jpg

mosin8ee.jpg

mosin10fy.jpg

All the numbers match that I've seen, though I haven't checked the tang... The floorplate, butt plate, barrel and even bayonet all match up, though.

I'm headed to the range again today, yesterday I put about 110 rounds through it.

I've got a couple of pictures of it leaning against a door with the bayonet on if anybody wants to see...

Speaking of which, MAN I do not reccommend trying to shoot with the bayonet on. I tried shouldering this rifle with the bayonet on it (not at the range... I didn't want to get kicked out), and it's so front-heavy that I had to hold the breech end down! My left arm was getting tired really quick with the pig-sticker on...

Nice!

I've always liked the wartime Izzys. The rough machining captured how desperate the times were and puts it on display for all to see. They didn't skimp on quality though and other than appearance these rifles are the same high quality of the pre-war rifles.

Your right about the balance. I put the bayonet on one of mine and shot it. Its was too nose heavy and made it harder to aim. 91/30s seem to be perfectly balanced without it.

Upvote 0
Are you sure you don't have them confused with M44s? The M44s will be inaccurate if the bayonet isn't fixed, while soldiers were trained to fire the M91/30 with the bayonet attached, I'm pretty sure that taking the bayonet off wouldn't mess up the barrel harmonics that bad, but more likely it'd probably make things a lot better.

Upvote 0
They were sighted in with the bayonets fixed but that only throws the impact of the bullet off. Not the accuracy. I've seen groups shot from one of these new aim/sog sniper replicas with all five holes touching! They may have scopes but they were still only standard 91/30s with scopes added. The barrel harmonics are changed, but not ruined by the removal of the bayo.

I have seen a 91/30's groups tighten up when a buddy put his bayonet on. He could have just been trying to prove it would shoot better though because he took more time with his shots

Upvote 0
Jack said:
Yes I have several 91/30s myself, and can attest that they are perfectly accurate without the bayonet fitted. I had no trouble hitting the center of a pie plate at 100 yards.
Heh, range trip #2 was today. I've used over 200 rounds. If anybody gets the Albanian ammo, if you try chambering a round and the bolt doesn't want to close, don't force it. Less than 2% of mine have had a fold on the neck that tries jamming the rifle.. but only if you force the bolt closed. I did have to change the windage a bit. I thought I over-adjusted when I saw the front sight move, but, oh, how wrong I was.

Still hits about 10" high at 100 yards, though. (Following pix from a camera phone. The range only allows cameras with written permission to keep gun owners from getting harrassed by anti-gun nuts.)

70 yards, my "zero" target. The ones on the left were before adjustment. The hits are after. Pie plate? The black target area is 8":

50yd0fm.jpg

I'm still kind of new to rifles, so I'm learning as I go. BUT. None of the following are from a bench. Most are kneeling. 100 yards, another 8" target. Ignore the previous hits from the .22...:

100yd2ra.jpg

Here I am!

firing7cd.jpg

Upvote 0
Hardware said:
didnt catch if you said the bolt matched. was the ammo laqured steel? they tend to make the cases stick. nice mosin, cant wait until i can pick one up for myself.

Yeah, the bolt matches. All SN's I've checked match, and the only one I haven't checked is under the tang. I haven't checked that one because I don't really have any reason to think it doesn't match...

The Albanian is brass-cased.

Mosins do open kind of hard, because you're resetting the striker against the spring as you rotate the bolt open. I don't know about other rifles from the period, but I've heard the Lee-Enfield does it differently. The short bolt handle on the Mosin means you *****-slap it open. Good thing it's got that nice big ball on the end of the bolt handle... (that method still hurt my wife's hand. She had trouble rotating the bolt open.) My bolt was really stiff at first, but after spraying some Rem Lube in there and firing a few times, it got a lot smoother. Yesterday before the range I cleaned the remaining cosmoline out of the bolt.. that seemed to help.

I've heard the thing about laquered steel sticking in the chamber, but supposedly that's only if you don't clean it... really well (run a bore brush for a 20 gauge shotgun through the chamber is what I hear). Just the same, I think I'll keep away from the steel-cased ammo.

Upvote 0