• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 My GPU died, please help me to choose new GPU only for Red Orchestra 2! :)

_Dariuszek_

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
Hi

My old GPU died, and I need new one.
Because my PC is not young, so I want to buy the fastest GPU for my current setup.
I don't know that I should buy GTX or Radeon.

My current setup.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
RAM: OCZ REAPER DDR2 4Gb 2x2Gb 1066MHz
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W
LCD: Resolution 1680x1050, soon maybe 1920 x 1080

So far I have chosen:
GTX 560 TI 2 GB
RADEON HD 7870 2GB

I do not play other games, so the GPU will be only for Red Orchestra 2!
Please help me to come back on battlefield!

:IS2: you so much for your help!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I need one more thing, I can buy parts from USA or UK.
So if you are USA or UK citizen could you advise me the best places to buy USED but also NEW PC parts, please!

Last edited:
Best bang for buck is gtx970

If that is over your budget, check gtx770 current pricing. Next one would be 670 imho. I have tried a computer with gtx660 and it was able to run ro2 over 60 fps on high settings (maybe light shafts and shadows were medium, can't remember)

If you are on tight budget and just want 1080p with medium settings (shadow quality reduced maybe etc) then budget gpu 750 will do.

Upvote 0
Guys why dont you recommend him the Titan Z? That's where this is headed judging from what you guys are saying.

On topic though, since u are aiming for middle of the road cards I would say get either the GTX 760 or the r9 270x or r9 280 ( they are at a very good price atm ). Your PSU is fine for any single card setup also of pretty good quality. There's no point in getting 560 ti and such, way too old cards when you can get a lot more performance for your money getting the newer ****.

Upvote 0
Gotta be careful about bottlenecking you have a old CPU ive seen people say they used a GIGABYTE GTX 670 Video Card fine with that Cpu.

Here is what someone else said though.

""I just put in a gtx 660 in with my q9550 system, And I do notice some bottle necking with it, enough so that I plan on upgrading my cpu and mobo sooner rather than later""

Another

""With this processor, GTX 570, OCZ SSD, and 8 Gigs of ram, I get 40 FPS on BF 3 on ultimate and over 60 fps on high all on 1900 x 1200 monitor. ""

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Going off what IVan said, you do have quite the old system there. Now since your GPU died, you can get one that I said and not get a bottleneck, not a relevant one at least.

And down the road ( maybe even for blackfriday ) you should get an i5 4460 and a h81/b85 ( with updated bios ) or h97 motherboard so you can be with the times ( or you can just get it down the road when u have cash ). Also 8GB of 1600Mhz of DDR3 RAM is standard for gaming nowdays, so get that along with the mobo and cpu. Also when you have the cash, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a SSD for windows and a game or two. RO2 has a lot of loading time bugs and freezes which are aliviated by a SSD, and the windows and boot time experience is just marvelous.

But for the moment I wouldnt sweat it. Your CPU and the GPUs I recommended will play RO2 no problem. I have a pretty old GTX 660 and it hasnt died on me yet and is playing w/e I want perfectly fine and it plays RO2 no problem. Hell before some performance bugs I used to play 60+fps on Rising Storm no problem on full ultra.

Also in terms of brands Gigabyte, Asus, MSI are the ones you should be eyeing or Sapphire if you are buying AMD cards or EVGA if NVIDIA, the others make for both companies. Just get the one with the best price and you wont regret it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a r9 270 graphics card, paired with a very similar CPU to yours (on amd side). It runs 40-55 fps on high for me, something that suits me just dandy. I think my graphics card could do more if it weren't bottlenecked too, but i don't really mind as the game plays very smooth.

EDIT: but between the two you have chosen, the 7870 (essentially a R9 270) is WAAAY faster than the 560ti. I had the 560ti and it's night and day between the two.

EDIT 2: if you're buying from the USA , newegg.com or tigerdirect.com are safe bets for new parts. You could of course try ebay to get cards at 1/2 price, but there is always a slight risk as those are generally used parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0