• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Multiple impact effects for different calibers

Hypno Toad

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2008
Standing behind you
The one suggestion that's been popping in and out of my mind every time I play Red Orchestra OST is the impact effects (aka when bullets hit a surface)

In ROOST there only seems to be one impact effect for all weapons, from the measly P38 sidearm to the monstrous PTRD AT Rifle; they all have the same impact effects, which is pretty silly. Im not sure if it was an engine limitation or if there were other things to work on... but I'm hoping this can be addressed for RO:HOS.

Obviously a low power, small sized round such as 9mm would produce a rather small kickback of particles when it collides with something, whereas a full sized rifle cartridge would kick up quite a lot of particles. Something like a 14.5mm round (such as the ones in AT rifles) would produce very large kickback and very big holes in the surface. You shouldn't really see the same visual effect when you fire a pistol or SMG at a wall, compared to firing a rifle or machine gun at a wall.

One game where you can see this sort of effect would be ArmA:II where .50bmg machine guns will kick up large dust-storms when you start shooting, compared to more conventional rifles and MGs.

Last edited: