• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Most people don't particularly enjoy using the medic's right skill tree. This skill tree should be reworked.

Kantai_Hibiki

• Nov 9, 2018
    Just like most perks skills in this game, each skill is for killing ZEDs faster and more efficiently, but this logic obviously cannot be applied to medics.
    Medics are for saving people, not for saving the team in a twisted way by killing ZEDs.

You're not the Trauma Team from Cyberpunk 2077, with powerful firepower and floating armored vehicles.
    875ad1109192823.png919sda3218.png

I have an idea to break through the game's inherent 10HP/second recovery limit on the right skill tree. It could achieve 15HP/second, and include some bonuses for the medic himself:​

10R, +2HP/second healing speed, +30% reload speed.
    Medic dont need big magazine, fast reload is more better.

15R, Increase damage with perk weapons 20%.
    Remove Acidic Rounds, move Battle Surgeon to 15R to prevent having both Focus Injection and Battle Surgeon at the same time, thereby using self-treatment to achieve +40% damage.

20R, +3HP/second healing speed, +25% switch weapon speed.
    fast switch and fast heal per seconds, ture fast healing.

25R, Press 4 to use the Medical Syringe to heal others or press Q heal yourself, which can instantly restore 100 HP.
    Originally, the idea was to allow healing a person 100HP, but the Commando's repeated triggering of ZED time would make it too OP. So it was changed to be limited to the Medical Syringe, which is much more balanced.

I do agree that while most perks sadly have options that are simply too good to pass up, making for pretty rigid skill selections... The medic has an entirely different problem, which is that one set of skills is clearly geared towards teamplay and the other for solo (or selfish) players. At least you could switch them up a little bit, but in most case scenarios : you WANT to be the ultimate buffing and healing machine for your team. Cranking up your mag sizes just isn't helping anyone but yourself.

As to your ideas, I'm not sure what "HP/second" means...? Do you mean self-regen? Or better recharge for your syringes? Because the latter I could see as pretty damn invaluable (buffing up your healing output is ALWAYS a big plus, even if used with multiple weapons it could lead to over...heal?)

However, self-regen not only sounds pretty damn broken on a perk that's already super resilient, but it doesn't really change the selfishness problem of the right skill tree... In fact, most of your ideas sadly don't really fix the main issue with said skills. Those aren't bad per se, but they aren't really valuable on a perk that exists for his team. You're merely buffing other aspects of the medic's power and survivability, rather than supportive roles :/

40% more damage? Those are big numbers, even for a medic. I wouldn't exactly want the perk to be even better at killing stuff that he already is. Same goes for better reloads... but I could vouch for a faster switch speed, especially to make use of EVERY healing capabilities of whatever weapons you might have (ideally 2-3 of those by the end of the game).

As for the ZED-Time skill... I guess that fully-healing potentially your entire team does sound a little OP on paper. But you'd have to wipe out your syringe, which wouldn't instantly recharge. You'd have to get a Commando to maximize its potential. And on harder difficulties, a full health bar can be depleted pretty damn quickly anyway... So I would ASSUME it's pretty balanced, on paper at least. Maybe even a tad too situational? But I guess ZED Time already kinda is.

Upvote 0
    I do agree that while most perks sadly have options that are simply too good to pass up, making for pretty rigid skill selections... The medic has an entirely different problem, which is that one set of skills is clearly geared towards teamplay and the other for solo (or selfish) players. At least you could switch them up a little bit, but in most case scenarios : you WANT to be the ultimate buffing and healing machine for your team. Cranking up your mag sizes just isn't helping anyone but yourself.

As to your ideas, I'm not sure what "HP/second" means...? Do you mean self-regen? Or better recharge for your syringes? Because the latter I could see as pretty damn invaluable (buffing up your healing output is ALWAYS a big plus, even if used with multiple weapons it could lead to over...heal?)

However, self-regen not only sounds pretty damn broken on a perk that's already super resilient, but it doesn't really change the selfishness problem of the right skill tree... In fact, most of your ideas sadly don't really fix the main issue with said skills. Those aren't bad per se, but they aren't really valuable on a perk that exists for his team. You're merely buffing other aspects of the medic's power and survivability, rather than supportive roles :/

40% more damage? Those are big numbers, even for a medic. I wouldn't exactly want the perk to be even better at killing stuff that he already is. Same goes for better reloads... but I could vouch for a faster switch speed, especially to make use of EVERY healing capabilities of whatever weapons you might have (ideally 2-3 of those by the end of the game).

As for the ZED-Time skill... I guess that fully-healing potentially your entire team does sound a little OP on paper. But you'd have to wipe out your syringe, which wouldn't instantly recharge. You'd have to get a Commando to maximize its potential. And on harder difficulties, a full health bar can be depleted pretty damn quickly anyway... So I would ASSUME it's pretty balanced, on paper at least. Maybe even a tad too situational? But I guess ZED Time already kinda is.
    I see that the translation provided by GPT4 seems to be inadequate, resulting in a miscommunication. Let me delve a bit deeper. By HP/second, I mean, in the game, whether you're a level 25 Medic or a Firebug, healing someone with a medic gun always recovers at 10HP per second. Therefore, it's challenging to save someone lose HP too quickly, cause you can only provide them with a recovery of 10hp/s. This is the case even if their healing health bar ( the white one) is already full.
    So, the +2, +3hp/s I suggested could solve this problem very well. It's a brand new concept—rapid HP recovery—but you'd have to give up the buff skills on the left. or Combining the two methods.

I didn't mention 40% damage, in fact, I'm trying to avoid this 40%. What I mean is that, currently in the game, the level 20 right-side skill is +20% damage, and the level 15 left-side skill is +5% damage per person healed, up to 20%.
    This leads to a selfish medic choosing the level 20 right and level 15 left, and throwing a healing grenade at themselves to achieve +40% damage.
    So I'm trying to avoid this scenario, remove the acidic round, and put the +20% damage in, make it healed +5%damage (up to 20%)buff in the same spot, completely preventing the occurrence of +40% damage.

Regarding the ZED Time skill, it seems there's some misunderstanding due to my insufficient explanation. Let me describe it again.
    During ZED Time, using the Medical Syringe to heal yourself or others can immediately recover 100 HP, without the need to wait 10 seconds (10hp/s).
    And it is limited to only triggering with the Medical Syringe to prevent it tooOP. because it needs 15 seconds to recharge. Even if you're a level 25 medic, it still takes some time.
    Even with a level 25 Commando helping you reset the perfect 7 ZED Times, you can only heal 3 people at most. Not to mention, you have to be very close to someone's back to heal, so it's should not OP.
    To prevent any misunderstandings, please refer to the image. The Medical Syringe is shown as follows:

Attachments

• D8037588-28C3-46FB-A335-70C99C948D4D.jpeg
      D8037588-28C3-46FB-A335-70C99C948D4D.jpeg
      109.6 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    As to your ideas, I'm not sure what "HP/second" means...?
    Referring to the baked-in healing cap that both games have; KF2's is 10 hp/second. Which is something I don't agree with outright ignoring as a mechanic.

That mechanic exists so players cannot infinitely tank damage through spike healing combined with buffs; without that mechanic most classes could have on-demand Berserker tank power and the Zeds would have a nearly impossible time lethally punishing players for mistakes outside of attacks that effectively instakill players, which are so far and few between already that only bosses would be able to semi-reliably kill players (and bosses are more often than not already one of the easier parts of KF2 on the whole).
    Also, a lack of that would make Medic much less appealing to begin with because your burst healing even on offperk weapons would counteract most player damage to begin with outside of players just eating full Crawler combos, but at that point why bother with a dedicated healer? A single 401 dart volley on a Commando would outheal a Fleshpound's damage in the blink of an eye.

Though Medic already technically circumvents that limitation to a point with left-side buffs.
    Adrenaline Shot makes players faster than Zeds, meaning at worst Zeds take longer to hit players fleeing from threats that will inevitably hit them (e.g. a wounded Commando backing up from a raged Fleshpound) so that the heal ticks have more time to take effect--which in some cases could mean the literal difference between life and death--and in best case scenarios allow them to avoid being hit entirely.

Coagulant Booster turns otherwise solid hits into scratch damage, and lethal hits into non-lethal hits.

While I get where OP is coming from with the ideas--and I do appreciate the idea of reworking the right-side tree so that players aren't running solo medic builds to the detriment of their team--the buffs combined with Medic's dart/healing uptime, and the fact that darts in this game auto-target already make players so much harder to kill that I'm reluctant to OK any mechanic bypassing that. Medic is so strong as a team healer (especially in KF2) that it's only fair the team at least needs to meet them halfway and try not to die; if all of the Medic's combined efforts (and I do mean they are genuinely trying) cannot save a player from dying despite the buffs and heals, then someone is misplaying badly. It may not be fault of the Medic, or the hypothetical dead player in question, but a player with a Medic's full attention should be getting out of the bad position to begin with, not trying to power through it with pure heals.

A SWAT with the 201 and Rapid Assault could technically top off everyone but themselves with Commando's Zed-Time extensions, but the rub is they have to stop getting hit long enough for the healing to fully kick in.

Besides all the aforementioned mechanics above, the insta-heal being stuck on the syringe would suffer from a problem in that you would basically be locked to yourself 99.9% of the time since Medic doesn't get real-time movement like other perks. Which means most of the time players would use it on themselves, sometimes on the Berserkers holding block in a chokepoint, and maybe every once in a blue moon you'd get some random Firebug limping back to the team and then it's your time to shine!
    Airborne Agent's already darn good, though. Really darn good. And I suspect anyone playing on teams with a slight bit of coordination would just keep using AA because it actually lets you top off pretty much anyone that isn't a Dreadnaught Zerk (while also keeping trash off you).

Upvote 0
    I like the idea of choosing between a buff or increasing HPS. I also like the one where you get faster swaps with a small HPS buff. That would up your healing output by a lot.

The level 25 perk sounds kind of useless to me. I'm not entirely sure what you could do to replace the level 25 on the right. I think it's fine as is...? However, most people seem to use airborne. Maybe people you heal during Zed Time get over healed to a certain point, if they're already at max? This would encourage the medic to heal like crazy during zed time.

Upvote 0
    I'm glad Resilience got a nerf because I always preferred Symbiotic Health anyway, even when playing Combat Medic. Having a bigger HP pool benefits you at all times, while having resistance tied to your current health is much more annoying to maintain the optimal threshold and puts you at a much bigger risk of dying to burst damage. Don't have to even consider Resilience anymore.

125HP happens to be a really good breakpoint for Suicidal mode too. FP's can hit for a maximum of 61, so having 125HP allows you to survive a second direct hit, which can mean the difference between a wipe and barely scraping by.

I like playing Combat Medic fairly often though, particularly when there's another medic taking care of the heals and I can focus on zeds instead. My setup is LRLRR, foregoing Acidic Rounds in favor of a damage buff from my grenades to beef up my Medic Missiles. So my Medic isn't completely selfish, the team still gets a damage buff from my heals, arguably the most important of the three. Since I also rock the HM501, that's fifteen "stim" grenades I have for a damage boost on command (and for crowd control if I get swarmed, the bulk of them I use to help hold a door choke), particularly handy when fighting FP's, as the Medic Missile is scarily effective against them.

Change Acidic Rounds so that it affects all forms of Poison damage (grenades, missiles, Healththrower, Minethrower, etc), not just darts, and there'd be more of an argument for it. At present, it's only worth using with the Incisor.

Upvote 0