• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More Subtle HUD

melipone

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2006
Something I would really like to see in the future is a more subtle version of the current HUD. Not realism mode, just the same info but displayed in a less intrusive, more immersive way.

When an area is captured I don't want large text in the middle of the screen. There can be an area on the screen for messages, maybe even where the kill messages are displayed. It could be in bold so you see it clearly, but I think if you're paying attention to the flow of battle and are experienced with the game you won't really need it the way it currently is. This area can display level up info too. I don't want any fanfare (take out the sound effect too for this mode), just a simply message that I levelled up.

Rather than the large star shaped capture things, a small subtle bar in the bottom of the screen would suffice.

When a team mate is near my crosshair it doesn't need to show his name right over his head. I would like a toggle with default to not showing a player's name. So I would hold the button to confirm that a player is indeed a friendly. Otherwise I don't need that info obscuring my vision.

When I can interact with the environment, I don't need a large image like there is currently. I will know if I can mantle over something or if I can use cover there. If its absolutely necessary then a small symbol could be displayed somewhere, but preferably none at all

I don't want text messages about what to press to use the cover system or that I can pick something up, resupply someone or bandage a wound. I don't want to lose current functionality though at the same time. It should be apparent through the graphics or sound that I am wounded to the point where I should bandage, not because an out of game message is displayed. If there has to be some text for these things, then a small immersive message is all thats needed. I don't want to see stuff about how I interact with the game, more like "You are bleeding and require aid", in a subtle but clear area of the screen. I can tell if someone has an MG. All thats needed is to display a message if I successfully resupply him with ammo, after I pass it, not before. "You pass spare ammunition to the soldier"

It will make for a less cluttered display and more real feeling in the game imo, and once people have played the game enough I feel a lot of the current HUD will feel superfluous or take something away from the otherwise immersive gameworld.

Anyone have other ideas for an alternative HUD?

Reactions: kapulA and HLudwig
As it stands, the only complaints I can lodge regarding gameplay revolve around the clunky HUD and command interface.

There are a lot of ways this could be improved. More subtle cues to identify capture zones, friendlies and enemies, Squadleader and Commander orders, and other on-screen data would be greatly appreciated.

If you bumped up the size of the chatbox above 4 lines and introduced word-wrap like the Source engine does, it would go a long way to providing an improved chat interface. Introduce some basic font color formatting and you can include game messages in this same interface that can be scrolled through, and it can all be contained in the lower left corner of the screen where it stays out of the way until you call on it.

I also think that all the clutter on the map should be removed, and replaced with:

1) Objectives, clearly marked
2) The ability to draw on the map if you are a commander or a squadleader and have it update for everyone in your section simultaneously. Sure, it can be used for griefing, but being able to draw a path through the environment or mark important points would be fantastic for team communication and cut back on a lot of the unnecessary clutter currently on the map.

The tac overlay is a nice feature, but it needs more subtle graphical hints as opposed to the huge icons it has now. Perhaps a smaller icon for objectives, your current squad mates and team leader, and any relevant information your squadleader is feeding you (enemy locations, move/attack/defend/suppress/etc. orders).

Reactions: melipone
Upvote 0