• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report: 2022 Winter Field Improvements & Outbreak

Mercs,
As we keep moving forward with the battle against the outbreak of numerous science experiments roaming the streets, it’s already time for briefings about what to expect as the next assignment looms closer.

Perk Roulette Weekly Outbreak

Top minds, or mad ones if you ask some, at Horzine have designed a new challenge to keep mercs training for unusual circumstances. Perk Roulette takes control of the merc’s conditions for each mission. In a modified Survival experience, each person’s perk will be randomly selected for them at the start of each wave. With 6 person squads, each perk will be assigned only once, meaning no two mercs can have the same. Additionally, a Perk should not be repeated on the same merc. Other than that, you know what to do, survive the waves and defeat the boss to complete the challenge.

perkroulette.png

Disable Season Zeds Options

One of KIlling Floor’s most celebrated features is the complete reworking of Zeds to fit Seasonal themes around the holidays. The Killing Floor series started this tradition with the original Killing Floor at a time where it was not something commonly seen. This involves new animations, textures, models, voice and other sounds and is something we are quite proud to add to the game 3 times a year. However, it has been requested to make the Seasonal Zeds optional and in the next update that will be something that players server admins can choose to enable.

• Creating a Match
    • Players can choose to play on a server with or without Seasonal Zeds in the Create A Match menu options by choosing “Yes” or “No” to enable them.

kf2seasonalskinscreate.jpg

• Server Browser
    • Players can choose to play on a server without Seasonal Zeds in the Server Browser menu by choosing a filter option to disable them.

kf2seasonalskinsbrowser.png

• Solo Game
    • Players can choose to play a match with or without Seasonal Zeds in the Solo Game menu options by choosing “Yes” or “No” to enable them.

kf2seasonalskinssolo.jpg

• Server Admins
    • Details for how admins can set up their server to turn off seasonal skins will be relayed at a later date

Weapon Balance

Mercs, please note the details shared below are subject to change as this update is still being worked on. The exact numbers may not reflect what changes happen in the upcoming betas or full release of this update.
  • Gravity Imploder
    • Equip Speed from 1.3 seconds to 0.5 seconds.
    • Fire Interval from 1.33 seconds to 1 seconds (which means from 45 RPM to 60 RPM).
  • Doshinegun
    • Damage per hit increased from 60 to 80.
    • Trader price decreased from 600 to 400.
    • Dosh cost per shot decreased from 20 to 10 (which means full magazine cost decreased from 400 to 200).
  • HRG Beluga Beat
    • Removed the need of pre-activating alt-fire.
    • Alt-fire Fire Interval adjusted to 0.75 (80 RPM).
    • Magazine size decreased from 12 to 10.
    • Spare ammo decreased from 96 to 90.

Sorting Cosmetics and Crafting Items

We have improved inventory sorting for cosmetic related items. Now the inventory sorts Cosmetics and Crafting item categories by rarity in a similar way to Weapons.

Order for Cosmetics:
  1. First, group together the same cosmetics (all the Headband together, all the Baseball Hat together, etc.)
  2. Then, order them by rarity, from common to rarest.
Order for Crafting:
  1. Group together the same items (all Cosmetic Material together, all Weapon Skins Material together, all items together).
  2. Then, order items by rarity, from common to rarest.
  3. Then, order tickets in this order: Cyberpunk, Summer Sideshow, Halloween Treat, Krampus Treat.

Some more details based on questions being asked: https://forums.tripwireinteractive....ld-improvements-outbreak.2338616/post-2354253

Last edited:
I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 255 featured items
For Perk Roulette will the new perk be granted at the start of trader time or at the start of wave...the wording makes it seem like its the start of the wave so I'm a bit confused on how players are meant to prep as to not end up being a Firebug with an HMtech-401 or something.
Also just curious but could we possibly see the QOL improvement that allows us to play Santa's Workshop's arena version in survival mode (the one used in endless)? It gets a bit tiresome having only one or two Christmas themed survival survival mode maps to play.

Upvote 0
-Yeah... Perk Roulette sounds either like a walk in the park (if your perk changes at the beginning of trader time) or madly infuriating (if it changes at the beginning of a wave). Either way, I'm not exactly amazed by it, especially if perks can't repeat themselves (you'd probably end up with a fairly balanced team anyway). I believe it should have been a simple feature that you find in many games : the ability to randomly select a perk when you don't know what you feel like playing.

-Your tone seems a bit bittersweet regarding seasonal zeds... Honestly, I simply thought it would be a good idea to keep them on their dedicated maps (so Halloween zeds on spooky maps, Christmas zeds in holiday maps etc.) and keep the regular zeds on the rest. It would make them both more special and more fitting. Because my main problem was that everything I came back to the game for an event, I ended up seeing some snowmen and elves. And never the base zed skins !

-I haven't tried the Gravity Imploder all that much, but I definitely found it clunky to use, and overall a very underwhelming T5 (compared to the M32, or even the RPG-7). It's great you're doing something to improve it a little ! But as usual : I'll need to see in-game to really wrap my head around those changes.

-The Beluga Beat seem to have very little changes...? What was the thought behind it?

-Never tried the Doshinegun and never intends to.

See you next week ~~~~

Upvote 0
Gravity Imploder
  • Equip Speed from 1.3 seconds to 0.5 seconds.
  • Fire Interval from 1.33 seconds to 1 seconds (which means from 45 RPM to 60 RPM).
HRG Beluga Beat
  • Removed the need of pre-activating alt-fire.
  • Alt-fire Fire Interval adjusted to 0.75 (80 RPM).
  • Magazine size decreased from 12 to 10.
  • Spare ammo decreased from 96 to 90.
Eek. These are really chaotic weapons. Not sure we need to see more players using them.

Locust should be nerfed
Seconding this.

The Locust is still insanely powerful even in 6P HoE and still incredibly easy to use. Expect to see a ton of this (unfortunately) in the near future.

There's still a very recent (and very good) discussion thread on this weapon that merits a look.

Perk Roulette Weekly Outbreak
My guess is that this weekly will be locked to Hard or something like that.

The concerns from other players about getting locked to a bad loadout will mostly be mitigated by the limited difficulty.

Upvote 0
Since we've seen several questions on the topic I have some more details on how the seasonal zed options will work:

Event Zed Disable Option
  • When a seasonal event is not happening, the menu items to disable the seasonal zeds will not display
    • The players last selection will be saved until the option reappears for the next event with seasonal zeds
  • The option will not disable seasonal zeds on the objective version of Santa's Workshop
Perk Roulette
  • The swap happens at the beginning of trader time so mercs have a chance to change their loadout

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perk Roulette
  • The swap happens at the beginning of trader time so mercs have a chance to change their loadout
Wouldn't that make the outbreak too easy then? I don't want to speak for anyone but myself here, but after nearly 600 hours, I can safely say that I don't really mind playing one perk or another. As long as I have time to prepare, it ain't really scary. I can only see people really disliking a sharpshooter's slower gameplay or a zerk riskier style to find a challenge here. And even then: most perks have such a wide array of weapons that you can still find something right up your alley.

Maybe you should truly randomize perks, at the cost of potentially having three demolitions, two SWATs and a survivalist? In a regular match, that would be a nightmare. But when the game itself trolls you... You have no other choice but to accept your fate.

im still waiting for original KF1 maps port

Most of them (at least the classics) are available in the Steam Workshop. They're super easy to download and the results are often pretty good !

It would be nice to have a chaos mode with a mix of regular skins and 3 different event skins.

Eh... I don't really see the appeal, but okay. I mean, it wouldn't even be that chaotic considering you probably know every Scrake skins by now. It would just look atrocious as nothing will fit with anything.

Upvote 0
Most of them (at least the classics) are available in the Steam Workshop. They're super easy to download and the results are often pretty good !
Not everyone plays the game on Steam to have super easy access to those maps via workshop + console players dont have access to them at all.
And yes its true that steam users can easily download those maps from Steam Workshop but there is one major advantage with those maps being added officially, that being if all players have those maps installed then it will be a lot easier to find people to play those maps with.

Upvote 0
Not everyone plays the game on Steam to have super easy access to those maps via workshop + console players dont have access to them at all.
And yes its true that steam users can easily download those maps from Steam Workshop but there is one major advantage with those maps being added officially, that being if all players have those maps installed then it will be a lot easier to find people to play those maps with.
OK, I have to say that I'm super sorry because it's not the first time I forget about console players ☠️

I know that would be the least worst, but maybe they could port some kind of "classic pack", and simply reuse KF1 assets? So they wouldn't have to remake a whole bunch of maps? Or they could officialize the maps made by the fans, but considering we're getting one new map each update (and most of them are fan-made), I suppose it also implies bringing up said maps to Tripwire's standards? I don't know for sure, but I suppose it's not "that easy". That would be great nevertheless.

Upvote 0
  • Server Admins
    • Details for how admins can set up their server to turn off seasonal skins will be relayed at a later date
Unsure how tricky it would be to properly set up PreloadContent() calls but I think you might be able to improve/maintain matchmaking times for this feature by allowing the first player to join a server to set the server's seasonal skin setting to match their filter options automatically. This way you aren't cutting out half the servers available due to the new setting not matching what the player is looking for.

...Then again that'd take away the server owner's ability to lock in their server to one or the other and I don't know how much of an issue that'd be.

Upvote 0