• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mass Effect - PC soon to be owners

Haha! As if steam's offline function would NOT give people trouble...:D
My HL2 never worked in offline mode EVER. I beat it three times and I always had to connect first or else it wouldn't start. Sometimes I couldn't even open steam offline, let alone play the game...

They shouldn't be doing that kind of nonsense. You bought the game alright, so they should just let you play it, that's what I say.

I got used to steam over time and though I never ordered anything on steam, as I always buy my games from amazon or the amazon market place, I see it as a convenient tool for users who want to do that and for developers who can use the steam-platform to distibute their stuff. We've had some great revivals of older classics when they came out on steam.
So I can make an exception for steam (I wouldn't have made it were HL2 not as brilliant back in the days and if RO wasn't steam-only) but I don't really want to make that exception a rule!

Anyway, that quote sounds as though it wasn't the developers' or the "supporters'" decision to employ that mechanism though, and that they would hope that lots of people complain about it so they don't have to implement it in further games.Maybe, just maybe, Spore won't have it.

Upvote 0
Well if they CAN "enjoy the game for what it is" instead of just buying something they can't even start up...

Some people happen to have a pay per minute or pay per megabyte connection. What about them? They have to go online just to play the game because EA thinks this is going to stop some crackers?
Tell you what, if I were one of them, I would get a crack for the game that removes exactly that. See?
Now, if you are planning to get a crack already for something you contemplated buying, how far away are you from just cracking it without buying it first?
I don't even want to know how many people pirated HL2 because they didn't want to go steam back then. And that's steam we are talking about! A program that mainly serves other purposes than customer control! A program that includes an offline functionality! A program that, theoretically at least, is less inconvenient than having to pop a CD into your drive to please a cd-check!
That Mass-Effect protection system doesn't even have offline functionality (as it wouldn't work with one, obviously)!

This is like what you get if you take every steam-hater's prejudice and make a program out of it.

As to how far this is sticking to checking your key or if they also spy on something else is a completely different story and since this is EA we are talking about here I wouldn't want to rule that out either!

I like how copy protection is handled in UT2004:
There was a CD-check for the first few weeks but then an official (!) patch removed it! After a few weeks a crack is out anyway so people who want to pirate the game can do so. Why bother your real customers with copy protection then? Epic realized that and removed it with an official patch.
UT3 doesn't require a disk either. I don't know if it was like that from 1.0 or if they removed that check later, since when I bought it (Collector's Edition. Yeah. :D) 1.2 was the newest version so I updated straight to that. It has a weird account system but so far I never had a problem with it (online or offline) so I don't care.
That's how every developer should do it in my opinion.

Or go steam. As I said, I made that exception for steam and IF/WHEN the offline mode works, which it does for the most part, for the majority of people, you don't need to be online and you don't need a cd-check either. It doesn't get much more convenient than that.

Upvote 0
If people would complain less(and then download the products anyway) and instead enjoy games for what they are then we wouldn't have such problems today.

How would "putting up with it" give us less problems? If people hadn't have made such a stink about the quite stupid copy protection on BioShock when it came out, they may have kept it as it was.

Doesn't it seem wrong to you that I'd be to go out and buy the game, as in I physically hold the game, then when I take it home cannot play it because I don't have an internet connection.
"People" (and by people I mean PC gamers) shouldn't have to put up with it. If I went and bought a 360, and Mass Effect, I could play it, not play it, lend it to my friends, or use it as a coaster as much as I liked. Or if I were so inclined get my 360 chipped and copy it with no trouble at all.

Why should I have to wait for a title, pay the same price for it, and then have to put up with bull**** restrictions? Copy protection is being taken too far on the PC, and this "next level" is just absurd. Especially when 99.9% of the time copy protection has only ever served as an annoyance to people who are nothing but legitimate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well if they CAN "enjoy the game for what it is" instead of just buying something they can't even start up...

Some people happen to have a pay per minute or pay per megabyte connection. What about them? They have to go online just to play the game because EA thinks this is going to stop some crackers?
Tell you what, if I were one of them, I would get a crack for the game that removes exactly that. See?
Now, if you are planning to get a crack already for something you contemplated buying, how far away are you from just cracking it without buying it first?
I don't even want to know how many people pirated HL2 because they didn't want to go steam back then. And that's steam we are talking about! A program that mainly serves other purposes than customer control! A program that includes an offline functionality!...etc.
You talking about extreme situations. It's not like every second customer is so poor that he may only use internet for five minutes a week.

SheepDip said:
Why should I have to wait for a title, pay the same price for it, and then have to put up with bull**** restrictions? Copy protection is being taken too far on the PC, and this "next level" is just absurd. Especially when 99.9% of the time copy protection has only ever served as an annoyance to people who are nothing but legitimate.
You don't have to wait for the game. Also I'm pretty sure that there'll be at least a sticker/something on the retail box that tells you that a internet connection is required for playing.

My point is if you don't like it, don't buy it. That's your joice. Doing nothing but complaining helps exactly nothing and is just a waste of time really.

You know sometimes I'm really wondering about how much people actually care about such (unimportant) things. My suggestion to you guys is the following:

If there's a game that really interests you and you want to play it, then buy it, play it and have fun. If you can't accept the circumstances(protection etc.) then don't buy it. But don't constantly complain about everything, and instead(or at least don't forget to) think about the positive aspects of the game. It's just like in real-life, if you constantly complain about everything instead of being happy about what you have and what you are you are going to annoy your friends and will end up being sad/angry. Now I'm not saying you should put up with everything the gaming industry comes up with, but remember that you don't have to buy any specific game.

Upvote 0
You don't have to wait for the game. Also I'm pretty sure that there'll be at least a sticker/something on the retail box that tells you that a internet connection is required for playing.
I was referring to the fact that the PC version is released 7 months after the 360 version. If I were a console gamer I would have had the game sooner, and without retarded limitations on its use.

In what stupid world is it a requirement of a single player game to have an internet connection just to "activate" it?

My point is if you don't like it, don't buy it. That's your joice. Doing nothing but complaining helps exactly nothing and is just a waste of time really.
I won't buy it. As I have already said.

And "doing nothing but complaining"? What is it that you do when you feel something is wrong? You just sit there, ignore it, and let it escalate until it's everywhere?
I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play a game that I've gone out and paid for. Especially when people on other formats do not have to. Copy protection (especially overzealous ones like this) only ever end up alienating legitimate users. I'll put any sum on the fact there'll be torrents of the game, cracked and playable, available within a week of general realease.

Why couldn't it just be released via Steam...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You talking about extreme situations. It's not like every second customer is so poor that he may only use internet for five minutes a week.
That's not a matter of poverty but a matter of wasting time, energy, mood and in some cases money for nothing but a false sense of security on EA's part. Why should I care?

As that little quote a page back showed: Complaints might actually change something in this case...;)

In ANY case: This is a discussion forum and if we would just have people kissing game-dev asses in here it would be pretty boring.

Upvote 0
In what stupid world is it a requirement of a single player game to have an internet connection just to "activate" it?
In a world where too many people pirate PC games instead of buying them. For example MANY people bought BioShock just because it's protection system was so hard-to-hack and it took I think one week+ until it was actually cracked. And I tell you what 99% of those people didn't regret it.

Btw. I never had any activation problems with BioShock at all. And I only used one installation. Anybody who needs 5 installations is an extreme situation anyways and even then you can get those back.
I won't buy it. As I have already said.
You own the game on your console, probably finished it already and are not planning to buy the PC Version. So why in gods name do you argue about something that does not even really effect you personally. Is there nothing better you have to do or what. But I'm sure that some day you'll notice that all the senseless discussing does exactly nothing(except for wasting your and others' time) and just have fun with the games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't plan to get HIV but I can still discuss it, can't I?:rolleyes:
You on the other hand don't get a percentage of the income the game produces so I wonder why you got to defend this nonsense!?

Speaking of definding it: So far I only really registered: "Why do you care?" so let me ask a question: What is actually good about that system? And what - and this one's the tricky part - makes it better than other copy protection methods?
It took people a much longer time to crack 'Sacred' (just a cd-check!) than that supposed week it took them to crack Bioshock for example (I never owned Bioshock so I'll just believe what I read in this thread here). What is the benefit of inventing this customer-bugging crap instead of just inventing a new version of the good ol' cd-checks? Because those can be cracked? Please...

The idea of a copy protection is to provide convenience for the customers but to give hell to pirates! Some copy protections, like that StarForce or the soon-to-be Mass-Effect thing do the exact opposite: They bug the regular customers who have to go through all that crap but they don't bug the pirates who just download a crack that removes all those bits.

That's like owning a bank and shooting at customers because they could as well be robbers but at the same time leaving the safe open 'cause the shooting ought to be enough...

Upvote 0
Maybe, but good games still get pirated en masse.

If you want to sell a singleplayer game you need good copy protection and this system doesn't sound too bad.

Tell that to Bioware, because they are actually encouraging people to complain to EA as much and as often as they can about this copy protection.

When the developer of the game is not happy about it, then why should we be?

Upvote 0
Tell that to Bioware, because they are actually encouraging people to complain to EA as much and as often as they can about this copy protection.

When the developer of the game is not happy about it, then why should we be?
Hmm interesting, I didn't know that.

Btw it's quite funny that those who won't buy the game(and weren't planning to in the first place) complain more than those who are actually going to buy the game, proves my point. But that's not so important actually.

Upvote 0
pom pom pom, buy the game, than use crack, developers see money for their efforts, you have no hassle, crackers get credit for their efforts , everybody happy:rolleyes:

(except for those that are fighting piracy and they have been and will all ways be the looser :D).

those that download the crack and use it on a illegal copy, would probably not have bought the game even if they could not get it for free, or will buy eventually if they want to play online.

and why do people not buy those games?
1 games too expensive
2 ! hardware is much too expensive, a good gaming rigg is gonna get (mostly young) people so broke they find them selfs downloading games because they cannot afford to buy the games they want.

20 $ for a online game is acceptable but 50 for a singleplayer which often is played through in 2/3 days at most? ... mehhh

why are certain cars stolen so much? everyone wants them, but only some can afford them ....

also i think it's not the game developers that set the steep prices, it's the money wolves.

most developers are developing games because they get happy from doing it and just want recognition and see their names on sites with everybody praising their work.

and they get payed by the money wolves, so piracy does little damage to the developers, just to the money wolves.

so if wolves would be bunnies all would be good;)

plus if developers are really good they will get their rewards eventually.
(don't think epic complains about income with the majority of developers for many games using their clever engines)

maybe the hardware vendors game developers and money wolves should make a pact ..
if the Internet providers join in you could:
hire a pc with the latest hardware and access to the latest games with the graphics card upgraded every year with high speed Inet connection firewall anti-virus and god knows what, all with one monthly fee.

and if they are at it, just build the pc inside the 42 inch fullHD screen with integrated bluerayplayer and put HD tv signal in the deal and voila a fully integrated HD entertainment solution for one price, make it a good one and the whole world wants it....

Upvote 0