• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
We have the same problem in a lot of IL2 servers- unfortunately, many of our missions are variations of a basic dogfight; the only real difference is the map itself which has very little effect on the air battle, naturally.

There are some missions where the map DOES affect the play, but these are few and far between. I use our Pearl Harbor map as an example: In this map we have US forces based at Pearl and a scattering of other airfields, while Japanese forces launch from carriers. Naturally, the US forces know where the carriers are (unlike IRL, just like some situations in RO of course) so the map itself must be used to cover the approach, using valleys and shadows and such as opposed to a simple head-on attack.

And I do lament the fact that in many, many IL2 servers the forces aren't more historically correct- at least in RO we don't have mixed forces of T-34's, IS-2's and PzIV's running around. In most IL2 dogfights it's pretty much fly what you want- Russian, German, US, UK, Japanese, Italian, etc.- and history gets a pass. (It continually amazes me to see the number of Spitfires present on the Eastern Front- not to mention the hotter Japanese planes! I didn't know there were Zero's in the air over Stalingrad!)

In playing RO, I notice as well the continual reappearance of the same maps (can you say 'some variant of Orel/BDJ/Ogledow/Arad' in your sleep yet?) but that's not to say I don't like the maps themselves, not by a long shot. I can empathize with those who know these maps so well they can pretty much fight them in their sleep and have a reasonable chance of success. Orel, for instance, is one great map...but when a new guy gets in and rolls out, if he's up against even one or two 'old fighters' who know that map, he's as much as toast because they'll already KNOW what range he's at just by their relative locations and the old hands will KNOW they can't be hit in such-and-such a spot because the berm is too sharply angled, etc....

The possibility is there, too, that the aforementioned familiarity with certain maps is the exact REASON they're so popular- old hands know them and can rack up a mean score quite easily without having to do so much 'work'. Yes, it smacks of 'camping' but what are you going to do?

All in all, the issue of maps becoming 'old and stale' isn't just limited to RO- it's everywhere. We can thank our lucky stars, though, that we're not severely limited to a very few maps as we are in DoD- at least we HAVE the power to change the game scene, if we have the will to do so.

Upvote 0
By the way, people need to stop voting for maps that have entire servers dedicated to them.

Danzig and Arad come to mind. If you want to play them, log on to their dedicated server.

I do agree that map rotation is the right way to go. There aren't any maps that I hate, but it does get stale to play the same maps over and over.

Upvote 0
The problem with that statement is for the people who are on their server of preference, and vote for the map they think they'de like to play. Just because someone votes for Danzig doesn't mean that they're a 24/7 lets all play Danzig person, they just would like to play that map.

I do hate the people that go on a vote server and then complain how it isn't danzig, and insult people who don't vote for it.

Upvote 0