• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

map hijacking

DrGuppy said:
I don't see why the legal possibilities even need to be mentioned. Can people not just use some common sense and not blatently steal a map? I mean come on, where's the maturity and common courtesy to ASK the original creator if you can modify HIS WORK? :(

I agree give full credit, but don't start spewing stuff about legal action and copyright infringement. Also if an author releases a map and asks that you don't mod it, I would say you really should honor that.

Upvote 0
Well I feel that anyone that pirates a map is a low life scum of the earth that doesn't have an original thought of their own. But the ones that do this type of thing does not have a brain to equate rational thinking, so all of the legal talk and talk about respect does not sink in to their non creative minds. They do not have the ability to ration out what they are doing is wrong, their mind is set and nothing we say will change it.

So in order to stop them the server admins must stick together and not run pirated maps. And the people that agree that map piracy is wrong, they must boycott the servers that run any pirated maps.

I hope that Tripwire in their next endeavor make the released map files so that they can not be opened up in the editor, have one sample map so that mappers can look to see how things are done. The others would have an extension that can not be opened in the editor. When guys make a custom map the compiling process would add that extension so it too would not be able to be opened in the editor. As it is now it is way to easy to modify a released stock or custom map.

I also wish that someone could write a program for people that make custom content so that they can lock it down with a password or where you could run your project through a program that would encrypt it. This would be about the only way to stop these guys because most aren't going to recreate an stock or custom map from scratch. Some will and those would have to be boycotted to discourage them from doing it again.

Lex

Upvote 0
What is copyright?
Copyright is a form of protection grounded in the U.S. Constitution and granted by law for original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Copyright covers both published and unpublished works.

What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section "What Works Are Protected."

How is a copyright different from a patent or a trademark?
Copyright protects original works of authorship, while a patent protects inventions or discoveries. Ideas and discoveries are not protected by the copyright law, although the way in which they are expressed may be. A trademark protects words, phrases, symbols, or designs identifying the source of the goods or services of one party and distinguishing them from those of others.

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
I don't see why the legal possibilities even need to be mentioned. Can people not just use some common sense and not blatently steal a map? I mean come on, where's the maturity and common courtesy to ASK the original creator if you can modify HIS WORK? :(
Good point DrGuppy,

Legal or Illegal should not come into it, if you think a map would be better with this or that, Just do one of two things.

Email the creator and ask for his\her permission to make the changes.
Give feedback to mappers during Beta testing of maps.

OTHER WISE LEAVE THE MAP ALONE.

Simple common sense should be used, not talk of legal ownership.

Upvote 0
Musketeer said:
I saw this in MoH, CoD and CoD2 and it was never a real problem. Often the tweaked map was better, sometimes not. I don't care who did it I just want to play the best version.

There is no copywriting of these custom maps and anyone who make one knows it may be modified by others.

yes, but i do not want 3 different versions of the same map also, just with some slight minor changes. (bug fixes are another issue!).

so better hold the map, how the maper designed it before. If you do it, with his permission. Ok, nothing that can be done again it.

Upvote 0
Jaegermeister said:
To the best of my knowledge Greenhell whom I think is the creator of maikop doesn't want it remade or something.

True...
If there is going to be a remake, it'll be by myself.

Also, there are plenty of other good new custom maps around now. Why cough up a fast remakes of old ones? If you remake it, it has to feel new and old issues have to be resolved. Haven't seen that much in the remade 3.3 mod-maps.

But hey, that's just my opinion...

And Maikop was too difficult for most players anyway. I got tired from all the wining of the less tactical players, hehe (just kidding)

Upvote 0