• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Map changes: Aperture

meteors

Jun 17, 2012
Does anyone notice a surprising change in KF-aperture?
They added a tunnel in a room which can enter by another person pressing the button or being opened by specimen.
I found this earlier today cause I saw many players get to some place that specimen couldn't reach, so I became spectator and watched how they did.
here are the pictures:
aKfA@.jpg

The tunnel entrance is welded at start, but can be destroyed with 2 grenades.
UFvQ@.jpg

This is where the tunnel leads to.
you can jump to the opposite plane if you were a berserker or medic.

Does this tunnel only appear during the potato event?
Discussing any other map changes is also welcome :)
I've noticed that a room in KF-filthscross changed too

Reactions: Left 4 Dinner
What's the purpose of the tunnel?

These tunnels were related to Valve's Potato ARG, which was a "game" valve played Prior to the release of portal 2. If you went through these "tunnels" they lead to a computer that you could press the door use button and it would open up a webpage on your steam overlay and download a file, which contained pictures in Seattle, Washington (if I remember correctly) relating to Valve and hinting at a Portal 2 released date, and the fact that it could be released early.

Upvote 0
Does anyone notice a surprising change in KF-aperture?
They added a tunnel in a room which can enter by another person pressing the button or being opened by specimen.
I found this earlier today cause I saw many players get to some place that specimen couldn't reach, so I became spectator and watched how they did.
here are the pictures:
aKfA@.jpg

The tunnel entrance is welded at start, but can be destroyed with 2 grenades.
UFvQ@.jpg

This is where the tunnel leads to.
you can jump to the opposite plane if you were a berserker or medic.

Does this tunnel only appear during the potato event?
Discussing any other map changes is also welcome :)
I've noticed that a room in KF-filthscross changed too

Could you describe what part of flithscross was changed? Theres too many possible places to check, and i havent played on that map long enough to know what it looks like exactly

Upvote 0
Could you describe what part of flithscross was changed? Theres too many possible places to check, and i havent played on that map long enough to know what it looks like exactly

mMfM@.jpg

This room I think it used to be a one entrance room, now become a two entrances with 2 doors, it's still not a good spot though.
I'm not quite sure about this, not too familiar with this map, I only know some better camp spots on hard difficulty or above.

besides, someone mentioned this
I think it's this spot:
JQn_@.jpg

Upvote 0
hmmmmm, i see what you mean. I think your right about the first picture being different, but the second picture looks familiar. Maybe it was fixed or something. Remeber, in the last update, before this potatoe thing, there were a few maps that were fixed/changed/etc., and flithcross was one of them. I think you might have found what was changed in the map.

Maybe that room in your 1st cap, was given a second door, so it would help players to move around, or to allow the flow of zeds to be better. I still wish TWI would elaborate on what was specifically changed in each of the maps. Even if it is something like fixxed minor clippings or prevented a unpathable spot.

EDIT: I noticed someone else talked about flithcross being changed
One change I've noticed on filths cross is that one of the more popular camp spots doesn't work any more. The room that is attached to the purple/blue stairwell room where you would weld the door and camp the room while avoiding going too close to the door. The specimens now go directly for the door rather than coming up the stairs- even if you go stand at the top of the stairwell. I'll post a screenshot of what I'm talking about later when I have access to my pc. Has anyone noticed any other subtle map changes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hmmm, so thats what was changed in Filthcross, and the tunnel thing was added in the aperture. Now, does anyone have a clue what was changed in the other maps? My imfamous lightpole glitch still works for suburbia, farm is so big and open that I couldnt possibly imagine what was changed (although its probably a glitch where people were able to jump onto an object that wasnt meant to be jumped on). I have no clue what was changed in hospitalhorrors, crash, departed, and foundry since those maps all seem pretty well done. As for manor, Im not sure, but I think they finally fixed the crashed helicopter glitch. And for ice cave, Im going to assume that they fixed the glitch where players could get into the smal zed spawn area by jumping on the ice blocks in the room with santa's chair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hmmm, so thats what was changed in Filthcross, and the tunnel thing was added in the aperture. Now, does anyone have a clue what was changed in the other maps? My imfamous lightpole glitch still works for suburbia, farm is so big and open that I couldnt possibly imagine what was changed (although its probably a glitch where people were able to jump onto an object that wasnt meant to be jumped on). I have no clue what was changed in hospitalhorrors, crash, departed, and foundry since those maps all seem pretty well done. As for manor, Im not sure, but I think they finally fixed the crashed helicopter glitch. And for ice cave, Im going to assume that they fixed the glitch where players could get into the smal zed spawn area by jumping on the ice blocks in the room with santa's chair.

, manor, icecave,

I have noticed one difference with Manor, if the team are camped inside the tunnel and a scrake is raged it will run into and then back out of the tunnel, also noticed this with gorefasts too.

These 2 zeds won't run directly at the player anymore, they seem confused about what to do, I'm not complaining, if they want to kill me then suddenly decide to run away I don't mind ;)

Upvote 0
I have noticed one difference with Manor, if the team are camped inside the tunnel and a scrake is raged it will run into and then back out of the tunnel, also noticed this with gorefasts too.

These 2 zeds won't run directly at the player anymore, they seem confused about what to do, I'm not complaining, if they want to kill me then suddenly decide to run away I don't mind ;)

I assume your refering to the outside tunnels, and not the undergground tunnels right? And if thats true, then that is a nice breather lol. Im guessing they changed teh NAV or something. Maybe they wanted the scrakes and gores to come from the back side of the tunnel. Now that would be a nasty suprise.

Upvote 0
And for ice cave, Im going to assume that they fixed the glitch where players could get into the smal zed spawn area by jumping on the ice blocks in the room with santa's chair.

I actually know about that glitch. However, I'm pretty sure it was fixed in the "back to normal" patch after the xmas event. They must have changed something else for the more recent update.

Upvote 0

I noticed this today as well, we were camping the middle cave entrance on manor, facing the boathouse, and every raged scrake, gorefast, fleshpound, would start to charge in, make it about 4 meters into the cave, turn around, run about 8 meters out, and then run back in. It looks like they changed some path nodes for the zeds or something.

Reactions: ~Ren~
Upvote 0
I noticed this today as well, we were camping the middle cave entrance on manor, facing the boathouse, and every raged scrake, gorefast, fleshpound, would start to charge in, make it about 4 meters into the cave, turn around, run about 8 meters out, and then run back in. It looks like they changed some path nodes for the zeds or something.

I'm sure the regular sharpshooters are having a great time ;)

Upvote 0
I found out that not only the room I posted above, but also the other two button-related room in Aperture have their own tunnels. The tunnels all lead to a particular secret room the specimen can't reach.

I forget the name of the video, but someone made a video last year and they showed the tunnels. The key thing, was that you had to mae sure you had full health wehn dropping down, or else you would die.

Upvote 0