• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Many perks for fb useless when using microwave gun?

Firebug skills are in a relatively bad spot right now with few real choices.

At level 5 you should always start with Fully Stocked to save money and then switch to Flaritov once you have a full loadout. You just don't have the money early on to make sufficient use of grenades and after you get your full loadout you will only benefit from Fully Stocked if you die AND your team survives the wave. In this event odds are the team has plenty of spare money to reequip you anyway.

At level 10 Fuse is pretty pointless considering the pace of the game. Heat Wave is the clear choice. Level 15 has the same problem - Zed Shrapnel is epic and Zep Napalm is pointless.

At level 20 your choice is entirely dictated by your weaponry, as the splash bonus is amazing for the Microwave Gun and essentially useless on the Flamethrower and Caulk 'n Burn. Therefore a smart Firebug starts with Range and if at any point they grab a Microwave Gun immediately switch to Splash Damage.

Only at level 25 is there something approaching a choice, and even then it looks fairly one-sided to me (I haven't reached level 25 yet). Combustion largely overlaps with Zed Shrapnel while Scorch could be really nice for tough enemies. I would imagine if there are enough enemies for Combustion to be superior to Scorch, one of the enemies would have triggered Zed Shrapnel anyway.

Upvote 0
^ That really nails it. Let me tell you that combustion effectively is like a second shrapnel. The chances don't overlap but rather complement each other. Every second or third kill one of them goes off.

Scorch might have a merit for some, but zed times at the exact second you're ready to attack a scrake or fleshpound are rare and I'd rather save ammo by using explosions as a replacement for after burn instead of killing them slightly faster.

That said flaritov and napalm are the only skills which don't affect the microwave gun. However only a few a meaningful impact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At level 5 you should always start with Fully Stocked to save money and then switch to Flaritov once you have a full loadout. You just don't have the money early on to make sufficient use of grenades and after you get your full loadout you will only benefit from Fully Stocked if you die AND your team survives the wave. In this event odds are the team has plenty of spare money to reequip you anyway.

I do this all the time now. Once I've achieved optimal loadout I switch this perk to Flaritov once the current trade purchase is complete.

Upvote 0
i have to agree but imo actually there is JUST 3 skill which are a must and the rest are just ... cheap in comparison. actually the only loadout for the fb is mainly the micro gun which is a funny one BUUUUT the name of the perk is FIREBUG not beambug or whatever ><. for me the fb should put a sea of flame on the ground to set on fire EVERYTHING so some of the skill should be prioritize on those kind of thing like the one increasing the duration of the afterburn should increase the duration of the groundfire too, zed napalm should allow you to put a line of groundfire when you shoot *o*, and the last one which is increasing your range should increase each dot damage with a scale system ... like that you become THE firebug and not THE beambug ;) it's just a dream but if never TWI si this that should be fun IG x)

Upvote 0
Naturally I don't. Would prefer more viable options throughout, and not feeling like I have to switch perks mid-game to get the most optimal use out of them. That's a chore I'd rather not be burdened with.

ive said it before early on that there should be a quick select feature for saved perk skill loadouts. i said it early and everyone reply was along the lines of "there arent even any skills worth switching mid game"

lack of vision i say, but a quick select would help a ton, especially online when you cant just pause the game.

Upvote 0
Well I use door traps as demo and weld lesser-used doors up with it until sirens arrive and I switch. I usually don't even switch from fully stocked either, I may not be using it but the switching can be a pain sometimes and closes my options if I had an idea to change something else - Gotta wait til next wave.

Skills should be differing playstyles I think, like firebug for example should have an afterburn playstyle (which affects microwave gun inflation etc) and direct at-the-moment crowd control, like what shrapnel/heat wave do. This way you don't have to go switching in between waves unless you actually choose to play different, instead of switching weapons.

Upvote 0