• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make the MG's have a lot less recoil, and require two men to operate the belt feed.

Make the MG's have a lot less recoil, and require two men to operate the belt feed.

• Total voters
Not as good as already

Not as good as already

Two people in real life aren't needed to operate it, it just makes life easier. Having 2 wouldnt work as no one would be willing to do it with you. Plus your MGs bony have the bullet belts anyway. It would be cool but not as fun and would just ruin the point of MGs

Upvote 0
Couldnt they just make disable hip shooting with the belt while retaining it for the assult drum.

That's a pretty good idea to stay between the two extremes of CoD and the realism that some people are hoping for.

Personally (and with that in mind) i'd want this feature for 'hardcore' servers.
But honestly, is it 'hardcore' to simply want a game that pushes for teamplay and co-operation? Hell Battlefield manages it...

Upvote 0
I have a cunning plan...

Why not make the 100 round belt( and maybe the larger, I think 67 round tank DT machinegun drum for the DP28?) a selectable equipment item for riflemen(and only riflemen), which if chosen, can be given to the mg operator. Team play is hopefully insured, or at least encouraged, in that the mg'er will not have access to the belts unless he is given one, and people continue to supply him with them. You could maybe have the rifleman give up grenades to take the belt if you were worried about balance, essentially making him a reloader sub-class.

Upvote 0
It would be so ****ing amazing to have an MG squad and have a fellow soldier hold the rounds for the MG-38 belt feed. The player holding the rounds could get like, assists or team points or even kills for whenever the gunner gets a kill. Also, the MG's have ridiculous recoil. These are supposed to be trained soldiers, not 9 year olds with parkinsons trying to shoot an MG. It would make the MG a much more powerful class, and that's how it should be, especially for defense.

Or at the very least you could make it so that when you have two men operating an MG it's much more accurate. Doesn't make much sense but at least it's better than nothing.

MG's were most definitely the most important weapon for defense on the battlefield and it doesn't feel like that at ALL in RO2.

I agree completelly with you... I fired the MG3 (7.62 MG42 modification) and was accurate over 1000m, we even trained indirect fire, I mean firing it parabolic with somebody giving references to the aim from a separate position as for artillery!!!

Upvote 0
What if....

You made the 100 round belt (or 67 round DT tank drum mag for the dp28) an unlockable item for the rifleman(and only rifleman. everyone else has better things to do) class? That way, the only way a machinegunner would have them, and continue to be supplied with them, is if someone gave them to him. If worried about riflemen spamming them, maybe make taking the belt replace grenades? That way you could have a sort of mg support sub-class without any major changes.

Upvote 0
I was just wondering what you meant by being accurate at 1000m. Sights may be settable that far, but that has nothing to do with accuracy. If sights were a measure of accuracy, your average AK would be as well accurate to 800-1000 meters depending on the manufacturer. I can assure you that it is not.

7.62 NATO rounds will spread so much on that distance that it will be able to hit within a football field, but not much better. Even when fired on tripod distance between the nearest strike and the furthest strike is 75 meters. So if the first round hits the target at 1000 the furthest hit will land 75 meters behind the target. That is not accurate in my book, it is area fire. You may get hit by a bullet at that distance, but it is only bad luck then...

Reactions: Golf33 and Vesper11
Upvote 0
Well, mounted on its' lafette tripod the MG34 did have an effective range of 3,500 meters, but that's using indirect fire. During the North African campaign British soldiers came to refer to the thing as an auto cannon due to the long range from which it could produce deadly harassing fire.

MG34_in_Africa-px800.jpg

As for being accurate at that range, forget about it.

Upvote 0
What is effective? Who defines what is effective?
To me it is not effective that I can lob 10g piece of metal 3km without knowing where it will hit. Sure it "can" hit something, probably it would even be lethal. But, and that is a big but if that is definition of effective, then gambling in Vegas is an effective way to earn money. There is no way to spot the hits, the terminal effect is extremely poor, accuracy of the system totally inadequate to hit a point target, and so on and so forth.

Example: T-72 has indirect fire sights allowing it to fire up to 7km. Nobody uses them because they are not effective. And we are talking about 125mm 20kg HE shell here! If we have to fire to 7km we will use artillery pieces that can actually hit the intended target with very few shells and kill it.

If targets are over 500m away it is far better to engage with mortars. Accuracy is very good and even first round hits are probable. Defilade is small or non existing. Terminal effect is good and it can hurt even lightly armored vehicles. Machineguns can not do this.

Upvote 0