• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machine gun melee

The_Emperor

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2009
Milkyway
Currently MGs are useless when out of ammo and the enemy is attacking in close quarters as there's no melee ability for MGs.

I've tested myself that it's quite possible to do so. An average mg from that time weighs about 12kg, adding ammo and mag, let's make it 15kg. This equals to a benchpress bar of 16kg. This is the device I tested it with. About the same weight, same length and approx. as unhandy. (Myself is 182cm and 85kg, equals to normal human male)
You can definitely make a sway movement with it and quite a strong one. So you can smack down someone with a mg in close combat.

One could argue if it should drag down stamina a bit as it's quite a heavy device you are moving around.

Your thoughts lads!

Only if you are no longer able to hipfire an LMG while jogging, mantling, and right after an all-out sprint. LMGs just shouldn't be one's go-to close-quarters weapon. The MG34 is the same length as the Mosin-Nagant, and the DP-28 is even longer. Add in 20+ pounds of weight, and trying to maneuver that thing around corners would be a real-world death sentence.

But if that's fixed, then sure, why not? If I was facing a naked bayonet, I'd swing that thing at the slightest opportunity. Making sure I'm not holding the scalding-hot barrel, of course. Stamina loss is a good idea too.

Upvote 0
You eventually get into melee combat even in quite open space. Spartanovka f.ex. and I'm just tired of bots smacking me up because I can do nothing and the switching to pistol doesn't work that fast.

I guess it's not easy to move it around in narrow space, I tried the movement in ... well open space. Still, what I wanted to point out with my posting is that moving this heavy device and even deal devastating damage with it is possible.

Upvote 0
On Sparta, on Red October, on basically any map you can get cornered by infantry while your advance. Yes, normally you don't close the distance to the enemy by yourself like this but what if the enemy closes the distance to you? Switchig to pistol takes too long. You don't switch to your pistol as a rifleman either if you're in melee combat.

The 1st person hands and arms animation is a preset, so all you gotta do is to apply the movement of the gun to the mg and you're done with it.
There's no special melee attacks for different weapons. Foldstock weapons still use it although you'll likely break the stock. So I don't see this to be much work.

Upvote 0
Level yourself up to 25, this will give you a second Mag you can switch to, never use this mag until you really have to. That way when you've fired your rounds and are pressured for a melee you can simply switch and happy spry the room...

This should be enough to to cut down those sneaky ninja's who love sprinting, once took down 4 people who decided to rush me as they could see I was about to reload :D

Upvote 0
Well, if somebody smacks me with a pistol and kills me instantly, why i cant atleast throw MG on a enemy like some parry move that will give me time to pull out my thrusty TT-33?
Or melle attack with a MGs buttstock? Of course, MGs melle should be a bit slower because of weight..
Buttstocking should be available if i came across enemy that is crouching, or prone, so MG could bash his head with a 15 kg of metal :D
Anyway, my favourite method of execution unsuspecting enemies since RO1 was elegantly switching to Luger, takeing aim with ironsights and shoting them in head...

Upvote 0
(...) Anyway, my favourite method of execution unsuspecting enemies since RO1 was elegantly switching to Luger, takeing aim with ironsights and shoting them in head...
the gentleman's approach :D
on topic: i don't think giving the mg the ability to be used as a hammer is necessary, it would look weird.
since the mg34 is modular design i think it might get severely damaged while bashing things/people with it (it's a delicate weapon with tight tolerances regarding the barrel and other parts).
mg shouldn't be played as if it were assault imo. find a "safe" spot with good line of sight and cover your teammates while they charge.
machinegunners carry a pistol for a reason: close quarter encounters.
it would be cool to have a folding shovel as a melee weapon for classes that don't have primary weapon melee though.
i think some melee attacks are overpowered, i couldn't kill anyone by hitting them with a mp or even rifle in one or two hits, at least not someone who isn't asleep. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, if somebody smacks me with a pistol and kills me instantly, why i cant atleast throw MG on a enemy like some parry move that will give me time to pull out my thrusty TT-33?
Or melle attack with a MGs buttstock? Of course, MGs melle should be a bit slower because of weight..

Press the drop weapon button and you will automatically switch to pistol much faster than if you tried doing it the conventional way. If you survive you can always pick up your mg.

Upvote 0
the gentleman's approach :D
on topic: i don't think giving the mg the ability to be used as a hammer is necessary, it would look weird.
since the mg34 is modular design i think it might get severely damaged while bashing things/people with it (it's a delicate weapon with tight tolerances regarding the barrel and other parts).
mg shouldn't be played as if it were assault imo. find a "safe" spot with good line of sight and cover your teammates while they charge.
machinegunners carry a pistol for a reason: close quarter encounters.
it would be cool to have a folding shovel as a melee weapon for classes that don't have primary weapon melee though.

I own a real MG-34. It isn't fragile at all! It is heavy, built well, and you can literally throw it around and it will still shoot. It is made of machined steel. Mine is stamped 1945.

Yet: It is not at all ideal as a baseball bat. It is heavy, and clunky! Yeah, if you took off the front end and wielded it like a bat, that might work… but I’d rather pull out my spare barrel and beat someone over the head with that. Much easier to weild.

Those of you saying you could melee with it... you really don't know what you're talking about. Also, the Machine gunner also had a bayonet on his rig or a trench knife. Sometimes both. I'd prefer to pull that out! Even my spade is a better melee weapon than the MG-34!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i didn't expect it to be this robust. thanks for disproving my assumption. i really envy you americans for being allowed to own fully automatic weapons while i'm stuck here in germany shooting a .22 semi auto :(
Spoiler!

at least it looks cool and has military sights...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i didn't expect it to be this robust. thanks for disproving my assumption. i really envy you americans for being allowed to own fully automatic weapons while i'm stuck here in germany shooting a .22 semi auto :(
Spoiler!

at least it looks cool and has military sights...

Well, at least it looks like an M1A1 carbine. :p

Yeah, the only way the Government is stopping us from owning guns is to kill us all or imprison us! But I’d die first for my right and the rights of our citizens to have a real means to protect ourselves from government overreaching. And I live in a liberal State with very strict gun laws.

In my collection, I have two K-98’s, one real WWII and one Slavic copy. The rest are all modern stuff, nothing special! Just some shotguns, rifles and pistols!

But yes, the MG-34 is built really, very well in my opinion. Changing the barrel is very fast and easy. What is not easy is taking off and putting on a new assault drum. The game has you do this very fast! I don’t think it can be done as fast in real life. Putting belts on is much more quicker, but sucks because the dang belt gets stuck on underbrush if you try moving around with it attached; whereas the assault drum does not. Tradeoff I to being more mobile I suppose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I own a real MG-34. It isn't fragile at all! It is heavy, built well, and you can literally throw it around and it will still shoot. It is made of machined steel. Mine is stamped 1945.

Yet: It is not at all ideal as a baseball bat. It is heavy, and clunky! Yeah, if you took off the front end and wielded it like a bat, that might work

Upvote 0
i always liked the m1a1 carbine design, it's very compact and has a large magazine.
guns are a great hobby, even with the limitations we have here. the gun i posted is mainly for a discipline that's similar to biathlon, shooting 5 targets 50m away within a limited amount of time, standing and prone. i use a 4x scope for that and it's still not easy, but fun. tried a red dot sight, but the dot is larger than the target, so it's not very accurate that way.
(sry for derailing)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I don't have a MG34 for testing so like I said I used a benchpress bar weighing about 16kg as a substitute, it's about as heavy and unhandy as an MG34 in loaded state. And you can melee with it, of course not as easy as you can with a Kar98 but it works. And I believe myself a normal human with 182cm and 85kg. I'm no Schwarzenegger but I can move this thing with enough speed it will hurt you enough. :D Same I believe for an MG34 or DP28.

The issue with the benchpress is: you only get the weight simulated, you don't have an assult drum in the way, a bi-pod and all the clunky aspects of the gun getting in the way like the leather straps etc. Yeah, if you could manage to flip the gun around and hit someone with it, it will hurt. I agree... but doing it is another thing, epecially if someone has a bayonet and comming at you... I think pulling out a knife or bayonet or spade is more practical. The pistol is ideal of course for close combat.

I just don't want to be stuck defenseless. If I can press a button that allows me to take out my bayonet (of course I'll drop the MG34) and slash open the enemy I'm fine.

I agree with the poster that suggested you just drop the gun and pull out your pistol. The disadvantage of the Machine gunner is he is rather not useful in close combat anyway.

Also, on Spartanovaka, when I move up, I pull my pistol out while i'm on the move until I find a spot to deploy. Often, I even pick up a rifle if i can find one.

Upvote 0
i always liked the m1a1 carbine design, it's very compact and has a large magazine.
guns are a great hobby, even with the limitations we have here. the gun i posted is mainly for a discipline that's similar to biathlon, shooting 5 targets 50m away within a limited amount of time, standing and prone. i use a 4x scope for that and it's still not easy, but fun. tried a red dot sight, but the dot is larger than the target, so it's not very accurate that way.
(sry for derailing)

Good times!!! I love target shooting! Especially when we make it a sort of game and keep track of how each of us fair. :D

Upvote 0
here in germany competitive shooting is quite popular (you sort of have to do it to be allowed to own guns), but i never found the time for serious training. i do it for fun mostly and i don't care if i suck in comparison to the pros, i can't afford high-end equipment anyway ;)
the erma (pic above) always raises some eyebrows in the competitions :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I can press a button that allows me to take out my bayonet (of course I'll drop the MG34) and slash open the enemy I'm fine.

There is one, as stated above it's the drop weapon key. That will almost instantly give you a melee weapon with that can even shoot bullets too!

All the functionality you asked for, without any extra code/animation/modelling needed... :p

Upvote 0