• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Lore] Lore question

Soundwave2142

Nov 3, 2017
I'm working on my map for few weeks now, and I created my very little own world with small different details.
I've gatherad all the information on KF2 lore I could, but now, as I'm trying to make my map as much lore-friendly as possible, to fit in the world of KF2, I have question that I hope someone can aswer.
In the events of KF2 (Cyberpunk update for example) how much years/months it's been since the outbreak has began?
How much time passed since zeds started walking through streets and killing everyone for a first time? Does it was stated somewhere, or maybe mentioned, maybe someone have a clue? Thanks!
Sorry for my english, I hope I made myself clear.

Last edited:
From the events and udpates (new maps added, story elements added) of the past 3 years we can clearly see that neither Tripwire nor 99% of the playerbase doesn't care about the lore. Not even a little bit. You can just make the map however you wish, it really doesnt matter anymore.

Upvote 0
Soundwave2142;n2320829 said:
that's just sad

It is. I really hoped to learn more about the Mother Clot, about the suggested new Matriarch Boss, about the background of Hans Volter and Anton Strasser, etc. But it's all dead in space. The story is non-existent at this point. Sad, it had some really great potential.

Also worth mentioning that the lore of KF1 and KF2 are separate, which is wierd and inconvenient, seeing that KF2's "story" picked up where KF1 left off - meaning the Horzine outbreak leaving Britain across the Channel and spreading in Europe.

For instance, in the first game the Siren was supposedly a clone of Kevin's wife, and the clot was a clone of their son. All the other zeds were genetically modified versions of the clot. In this second game, this has been scrapped and now all zeds originate from this "Mother Clot" which is supposedly the big organic blob that we can see in Bioticslab. But this kind of environmental storytelling didn't see much light in future maps in favour of steampunk maps and space station maps.

Bottom line, the lore and story is inconsistent, has been retconned at some point, and unfinished. And I agree, it's sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HunBonus;n2320835 said:
It is. I really hoped to learn more about the Mother Clot, about the suggested new Matriarch Boss, about the background of Hans Volter and Anton Strasser, etc. But it's all dead in space. The story is non-existent at this point. Sad, it had some really great potential.

Also worth mentioning that the lore of KF1 and KF2 are separate, which is wierd and inconvenient, seeing that KF2's "story" picked up where KF1 left off - meaning the Horzine outbreak leaving Britain across the Channel and spreading in Europe.

For instance, in the first game the Siren was supposedly a clone of Kevin's wife, and the clot was a clone of their son. All the other zeds were genetically modified versions of the clot. In this second game, this has been scrapped and now all zeds originate from this "Mother Clot" which is supposedly the big organic blob that we can see in Bioticslab. But this kind of environmental storytelling didn't see much light in future maps in favour of steampunk maps and space station maps.

Bottom line, the lore and story is inconsistent, has been retconned at some point, and unfinished. And I agree, it's sad.

From what I've read, Hans was some kinda nazi scientist, and Anton have been frozen by him, and now that he's wake, he's seeking for vengeance. I think that's all. I wish KF2 had a mode like L4D2, when you go through maps making different objectives with characters actually interacting with each other uncovering a bit of lore. I know maps are not designed for this kind of stuff, but at least something. For example, why they were in biotic lab? To recover some samples? Stop cloning? Destroy this "mother" thing?

Take a look at Black Ops zombies, for most of people it's just a "survive through rounds" mode, but mostly every map have an actuall "easter egg", wich can be completed and different lore segments will be revealed. As you go through all this zombie maps, you can see how this is actually not just another zombie game, but a great and interesting story, with different details.

I wish KF2 had something like this. Sad but true

Upvote 0
missing_trigger;n2320849 said:
Afaik steampunk is alternative reality, it doesn't explained how it's interfere with normal reality.

Since Tripwire's capacity of making maps extends to about 4 maps a year, the steampunk maps DID interfere with telling the story. They interfered because every Steampunk map means we have to wait at least another quarter of a year to get a canon map and get a little bit of story. And it's not like we have an abundance of time. Thousands of people don't play this game anymore who played it at launch or at some point between then and now. Whatever great story Tripwire introduces 4 months later, it's not going to matter for people who got bored of the mindless shooting on steampunk maps now. Some people who played the game in 2015 and became interested in the story are now DEAD. 3 years is a long damn time to tell a story. We dont have time for the likes of Powercore and all the over the top event maps.

That is, if we were interested in the story. Since we've already established that barely anyone cares about the lore of this game, all of my ranting didn't really matter cause it's an irrelevant subject.

Upvote 0
The lore wasn't very prevalent in the first game either - this is nothing new. Each map had its own individual story, and I agree that this was handled better in the first game. The maps were much more interesting and immersive. But there wasn't any interconnecting plot or anything - at its core, Killing Floor has always been about the gameplay, and the maps, while dripping with atmosphere, didn't serve a purpose other than to be an arena for killing zeds.

That being said, Killing Floor 2 takes place one month after the first game, which takes place shortly after the outbreak. I wouldn't consider event stuff like Airship and Krampus Lair to be part of the canon - they are just fun maps that offer a change of scenery.

Upvote 0