• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Long time issues

The issue with Scrake/FP ignoring stuns has to do with how blocking interacts with the system — blocking mitigates the effects of incaps, preventing the Zed from being afflicted by anything.
In action, the Zed may evaluate whether it wants to enter blocking state as the projectile approaches a critical range, and the AI will change to that state at the moment the hit lands due to the nature of projectiles. However, this hit will just trigger rage on both Zeds due to damage, and as neither can use blocking when raged, you don't actually see the blocking animation occur while the attack was calculated in the blocking state.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ricotta_cheese;n2283263 said:
The issue with Scrake/FP ignoring stuns has to do with how blocking interacts with the system — blocking mitigates the effects of incaps, preventing the Zed from being afflicted by anything.
In action, the Zed may evaluate whether it wants to enter blocking state as the projectile approaches a critical range, and the AI will change to that state at the moment the hit lands due to the nature of projectiles. However, this hit will just trigger rage on both Zeds due to damage, and as neither can use blocking when raged, you don't actually see the blocking animation occur while the attack was calculated in the blocking state.

not sure about the specifics you mention about range or damage, since it seems like this might also affect hitscan and stun grenades, but you might be right about the general concept.

regardless, it seems very wrong for the block to take effect before the blocking animation gets to a certain point, at least to me and most people i see talk about this.

Upvote 0
random;n2283280 said:
not sure about the specifics you mention about range or damage, since it seems like this might also affect hitscan and stun grenades, but you might be right about the general concept.

Zeds do have a separate block/dodge evaluation for sitting grenades which will yield the same behavior against incaps. What I mean about the damage is that, for instance, a Crossbow headshot will always deal enough damage to trigger a Scrake's rage threshold (if it doesn't kill it on lower settings), and likewise with Dynamite on FP. Because of this, they will always stop blocking immediately. I have not observed this behavior with hitscan.

random;n2283280 said:
regardless, it seems very wrong for the block to take effect before the blocking animation gets to a certain point, at least to me and most people i see talk about this.

It's certainly a terrible interaction of mechanics that needs to be changed.

Upvote 0