• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Locking mechanism for Tanks

hawco

Jul 12, 2006
Don't think I'm the only one who has been hull down in a good firing position, only to find someone Jumping in the vehicle and taking it for a spin, all this happens as the person comepletely ignores you and then gets you killed.
Can you not Just assign the locking command to a key on the leyborard?
that way you can choose to let your clan members or friends onboard and keep the idiots out.
Shouldn't be too much of a hassle to do this?

Two problems with this:

One, it's easily abusable for solo-tankers. They'd jump in a tank and lock everyone else out. This can be just as bad for the team as having an idiot tanker jump in and move your tank. Imagine how frustrating it would be if "L33t Tanker Dude" had a key tank stuck in a bad position and refuses to move it elsewhere, or use it to it's proper potential. Normally you could get in and move it, or at least ruin his day. With this he could lock the good players out.

Two, it goes against the team tanking spirit. Newbies would have problem learning the tanks, and would genearlly be put off from using them if all the vets were locking them out.

Overall I'd say a better system would be to call some sort of session vote to restrict a certain player from vehicles if they're consistantly being abusive, and kick them to a rifleman class.

Upvote 0
I don't usually tank, but when I have, I've had more good experiences with guys jumping in my tank by far than bad. I think the number of times an idiot gets in and takes off with a tank is sometimes exaggerated, or at least those experiences stand out more.
Making the tanks able to be locked would just encourage the solo tankers to monopolize the tanks and as the previous poster has said, that really takes away from the spirit of team tanking and teamwork in general.

The tanks really do work better, load faster and are much more effective when manned by a full crew who knows how to move and shoot at the same time as well as communicate. Anything more than just a single guy in a tank who drives up and trades shot for shot while parked until he blows up is better for the team.

Upvote 0
If a tank crewman who has just spawned is able to climb into your tank in a "realy good hull down position" then it's evident you are sat just outside spawn, and not using the armour for what it is intended, ie leading the attack and breaking through the enemy.

On countless ocasions I have seen the axis loose on Arad because all the Tigers and Panthers are sat just outside spawn trying to tank-snipe. The whole point of Ro is it requires teamwork to win, and team tanking is part of that.

If you were off fighting your way fowards, hunting the enemy and supporting your infantry then it is unlikely a fellow team mate would have the oportunity to jump in your tank, but then again it's very hard to effectivly play like that if you are in a tank solo.

The only time I would have to agree that a locked tank would be good, is when you get those guys that refuse to die in their tank and bail just as it's about to blow only to join your crew. Personally I feel that if you've got yourself in a position where your tank is going to blow, you should have the decency to die in it. But this of course could be fixed with longer bail out times.

Upvote 0
If you want to be alone in your tank that is your choice..your SELFISH choice. If this is so then I suggest a 3 min time respawn after u r dead... it will happen and only 2 SOLOS allowed.. It results in team kills over the tank and a BAD game atmisphere on YOUR side. In reality you CANT hop from Driver to Gunner to MG. I have seen to many GOOD tank crews split up or made to wait while some A_ _ Hole thinks he can have all the fun his self and often LOOSE the battle for his side. If a player DEMANDS that you leave his tank Im all for a KICK vote. However with 2 Solos allowed and a 3 min respawn time I think it is fair if you think you are RAMBO in a tank.

Upvote 0
If a tank crewman who has just spawned is able to climb into your tank in a "realy good hull down position" then it's evident you are sat just outside spawn, and not using the armour for what it is intended, ie leading the attack and breaking through the enemy.

Well to be fair, on certain maps, Leningrad for one, tanks are a close combat kind of affair. Last night I had the KV1 entrenched near the AT position, the P3 shells were just bouncing off me, infuriating the Germans. Then some jerk jumps in the tank, runs it forward in a moronic charge and gets it stuck up against the barricades. Guess what happened right after that.

Upvote 0
Would be somewhat nice to have a lock for against bots since they can be any role and hop into your tank, espcially since they seem drawn to it when your in the gunner position. I don't mind team tanking myself as long as the other person is communicative/cooperative. I can see where the lock could come in handy from these bad expierences, I've had a couple myself. Nothing like having a good position where the enemy can't kill you, only to have one of them switch teams, hop into your tank and drive you into a minefield or into a bad position.

Upvote 0
Don't think I'm the only one who has been hull down in a good firing position, only to find someone Jumping in the vehicle and taking it for a spin, all this happens as the person comepletely ignores you and then gets you killed.
Can you not Just assign the locking command to a key on the leyborard?
that way you can choose to let your clan members or friends onboard and keep the idiots out.
Shouldn't be too much of a hassle to do this?

1. Do a search and post to one of the countless other threads on this.

2. No

Upvote 0
Would be somewhat nice to have a lock for against bots since they can be any role and hop into your tank, espcially since they seem drawn to it when your in the gunner position. I don't mind team tanking myself as long as the other person is communicative/cooperative. I can see where the lock could come in handy from these bad expierences, I've had a couple myself. Nothing like having a good position where the enemy can't kill you, only to have one of them switch teams, hop into your tank and drive you into a minefield or into a bad position.
Im all for locking the Bots out. I sometimes wonder whos side thay are on:eek:.

Upvote 0
On countless ocasions I have seen the axis loose on Arad because all the Tigers and Panthers are sat just outside spawn trying to tank-snipe. The whole point of Ro is it requires teamwork to win, and team tanking is part of that.

Works both ways, I've seen the Soviet side do the same thing on the North end of the South field. The South field really sucks in Arad because at both ends of the field the Soviets (North end) and Germans (South end) spawn in. IMO the Soviets have it better since they can spawn in and drive behind the hill to the cover of the North village, while when the Germans exit the South field spawn area they have a wide open field to try and cross. So your argument isn't really valid.

I don't really mind someone joining my tank as long as they COMMUNICATE with me. Either lean the Key commands, get voice communications, or stay out for team tanking.

If you get on a low pop server and there are plenty of tanks available then I advise against trying to jump in someones tank. Contrary to everyones opinion on this thread someone who wants to solo tank is not a prick in my book. The paid for the game so they should be able to do what they want. It's their right to have fun

I do completely agree the bots should something you can lock out. They are just whacked out.

Upvote 0
I told you we needed locking mechanisms on the vehicle doors!

Conversely, if we are able to lock vehicle doors, we should be allowed to open the doors of enemy vehicles that the drivers have forgotten to lock, to pull them out or shoot them and take their vehicles.

(I hope you detected my sarcasm there...I think things like this locking suggestion just add un-needed complexity when the problem is with idiots not the tanks. Give the idiots a lock and they'll use it to ruin things even more. It all comes down to hoping you have a good team and good admin around.)

Upvote 0
When Im lining up a shot at another tank, I hate the bots leaping in and taking my tank for a joyride.

I've already found the code that handles it and hope to have a Mutator soon that will stop this.

As for players doing it, in an ideal world it would be a server issue (use a password to only allow in preferred players) but since most servers play infantry games, maybe a button to ban entry for 3 seconds at a press. This would allow gunners to take their shot but would it be an annoying hassle for them to constantly lock out players.

Upvote 0
I can't say that I want to have the ability to lock tanks from other players, it's just a double edged sword in too many ways.

There have been times where I have wanted it. . . oh so badly. But then there have been other days where going out of my comfort zone and sharing my tank with a stranger really paid off.

But as for bots, I don't think a bot should ever get in a tank with a human player, it just doesn't work. Then the issue with AI of the wrong classes getting into vehicles has got to be solved, because it sucks when you think you got a nice squad leader covering your big metal butt only to find out his name is Otto and he's been marching halfway across the map, through knee-deep snow, uphill both ways, and through artillery and gunfire to reach you just because he wants to take you for a ride in his newly confiscated pimp-mobile, or. . er. . tank. . . his pimp-mo-tank. . .

Me: Stay on target. . .
*Otto has entered your vehicle.*
Me: What the hell!? :confused:
Otto: Bow chicka wow wow. . . wanna go for a spin in this tank with me?
Me: Sweet Jesus!! Were all gonna die!! :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0