• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

List of Quality of Life Changes Proposed for End-of-Life

Bromley

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2017
Per the most recent Tripwire Community Report, Rising Storm 2 is set to still be getting more QoL passes. Alan mentioned to post on the forums any suggestions in mind, but keeping in mind mainly simple code changes are what Tripwire will be looking at.

With this in mind I have compiled a list of what I believe to be *reasonably* simple changes to the game, rather than new DLC and new vehicles etc that many people have been hoping for (though I do think this would be very cool to see).

These changes I propose come from thousands (yes I have no life) of hours of playing and administrating a server for RS2. This game has been my main game for almost 4 years now and I want to see it in the best state possible so it can be enjoyed long-term and be as modder-friendly as possible to help inhibit community growth.

Role kick victim retaking role cooldown issue: Players who are role kicked are currently able to immediately reclaim their role, there should be a period of time for which they cannot reclaim the role if vote succeeded
Why is this important: Nothing but disruption comes from player's retaking the role and consecutive votes being cast. As an admin, often this can lead to situations where we have to remove players from the server completely if a player is trolling a commander role for example

Increase level requirements for other limited specialty roles (Sniper, Radioman, RPG, Grenadier, perhaps others)
Why is this important : This game goes on sale at least once a quarter, and has also been given a way for free on EGS. There is always injections of new players into the game and as a veteran player, I welcome the increased playercount, but too often new player's are not capable of fulfilling specialty roles to full potential. Such situations on certain maps can lead to incredibly frustrating scenarios like Cu Chi with level 99 snipers on one team vs level 6 snipers on the other. I recommend that Sniper/Marksman, Radioman, RPG, and Grenadier classes (more in addition honestly wouldn't hurt) all have minimum level requirements of at least 15 given these roles specialty purposes. This way, players are exposed to the more ground-pound focused roles while they learn the game, and these specialty roles they can only lay hands on once they have at least a general sense of what is going on (Squad Leader is also level 15 currently for reference)

Pilot level requirement 15 at least: Add a level requirement of at least 15 for pilots
Why is this imporant: Similar to the above, but often people assume that flying is easy like in battlefield and entire choppers of people will crash into the ocean on Resort and maps of the nature. At the very least a player should have a couple hours in the game so they understand the gameplay and mechanics before they hop in a pilot seat in their very first game. I recommend something like a level 15 minimum requirement at the very least (Squad Leader is also level 15 currently for reference)

C4/Claymore out-of-range issue: Make your c4/claymore disappear when you die
Why is this important: When you die you cannot place new C4 or claymores until you get in range of previous to detonate, which sometimes is impossible if your equipment was thrown at an objective you cant get to anymore when you play as defender

Give Smoke Grenades to Squad Leaders
Why is this important: Currently smokes are only given to radiomen, pointmen/scouts, and commanders. This often leads to situations where a squad's kit loadout amongst its members doesnt include any smoke grenades. If the Squad Leader had access to smokes, it would help them create opportunities for opening up gameplay, rather than relying on having a squad member with the correct role or not. This is especially important as South SL's, as you must navigate yourself safely across the map and stay alive, so having smokes of your own you can place makes a big difference

Character customization "dirt": In RS2 currently, as you level up your character/uniform gets increasingly more dirt/dirtyness to their model. If having dirt or not on your character was a cosmetic choice instead of mandatory, it would be nice.
Why is this important: I bought some nice looking officer uniforms that I can't wash :( . But really, it would be nice to be able to toggle your character's dirt on/off, the more customization the better and it looks weird having officer uniforms and cavalry hats and accessories covered in mud

Default voice channel: Currently the default voice channel when a player loads into a server is Squad chat. However, you will hardly ever see people utilizing squad chat, but rather team chat. I recommend making Team Chat the default voice channel
Why is this important: Often people forget or don't even know that Squad chat is the default. On a regular basis I see people talking in the wrong VOIP channel. If TEAM were the default, it would solve many problems. It is also just a small QoL update so people dont have to cycle through a bunch of voice channels to get to teamchat

Not all commander abilities give +25 points to the radioman for the call-in
Why is this important: This may be a bug, but not all abilities give the radioman points when commander uses them. I can investigate this further if need be, but it makes for unfortunate gameplay feedback when you arent always getting points for playing the helping role

Custom content redirect: Create a Tripwire-hosted custom content redirect that all content goes to, similar to RO2 had at http://ro2.tripwirecdn.com/
Why is this important: Currently, servers must find their own redirect services, which often means out-of-pocket expenses that server operators didn't have to incur in the past, all just so we can continue running the same custom maps we've been running this whole time. Without redirects, custom maps kill servers because EGS users cannot download quick enough and tons of people will drop and leave

That you for this concise list. Will make sure it is routed to the team for consideration. Right now, the planned update, in terms of code, is done and as I understand no further changes are going to be made at this time for that update. Working to find out what what will be happening in the future and will reach out.

Upvote 0
That you for this concise list. Will make sure it is routed to the team for consideration. Right now, the planned update, in terms of code, is done and as I understand no further changes are going to be made at this time for that update. Working to find out what what will be happening in the future and will reach out.
Since the planned update in terms of code is done could you elaborate what's in it?

Upvote 0