• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Limited Time/Objectives/Force Footprint

kartasik

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
In small maps the size of your force footprint often decides the issue. Let’s take a theoretical small map with an equal number of tanks (10) beginning from each side with about the same mix of tank strengths. Let’s say they have 5 reinforcements for each tank making for a total in game amount of 60 possible. Let’s say that the German side is made up of non-robust players who are more concerned about losing a tank or getting a dent in it than they are about capturing ground. These guys may be this way because they believe they are actors in a battle reenactment, sort of a stage play – they think they are simulating realism. Now let’s say the Russians are a wild bunch (which surprisingly they tend to be in actual games) who are very robust, aggressive, and who are mainly concerned with taking ground because they believe they are in a GAME.

Now let’s say that the German team on average scores 2 tank kills per panzer tank life span, and let’s say that the Russians are only half as effective with 1 tank kill per Rusky tank life span. Let’s further say that the effect of this is that a lot of Germans will husband their wounded tanks, even if a bird taking a dump on them would blow their wounded tank sky high. And let’s say that the Ruskies want to get rid of their wounded tanks as fast as possible so that they can have a nice new shiny tank right out of the factory. I have actually seen this scenario happening. And don’t forget I am only talking about a small map like Arad, or other such stock maps.

Let’s now say that the effect of our scenario is that the Russians end up putting a constant pressure toward advancing and gaining ground – while the Germans tend to hang back – often never crossing the first river banks (as in Arad) even as Russian tanks tend to keep occupying South Field. And let’s say that through the game the Germans only use about 25 tanks worth of their total because they husband their wounded tanks, while the Russians run through all 60. What effect do these two sizes of armor footprints have? The Russians, who can kill on average just one tank each before dying, will mathematically take out 60 German tanks. The Germans who wallow around in smoking-wounded tanks, rather than use up more reinforcements, will only take out 50 tanks. Thus 25 German tanks hit by 60 Russian tank kills = 0 German tanks on the field. 60 Russian tanks hit by 50 German tank kills = 10 Russian tanks on the field. But in actual practice both sides can have the same number of successful tank kills, meaning that the aggressive side ends up with even more tank kills! So that if the average is 1.5 tank kills per tank life, the Russians (in our model) can take out 90 tanks, and the Germans with 25 effective tanks on the field can take out only 37 tanks.

If this seems fake to you – I have actually seen this scenario play out – the careful team will be seen spending most of their time near the edge of their side of the map, with big gaps where they have almost NO TANKS ON THE BATTLE FIELD. While the aggressive side will look like a ‘constant conveyor belt’ rapidly feeding tanks into the map always pushing the envelope of their zone of control over all the map objectives.

[FONT=&quot]The tanks cost you NOTHING (they are just pixels and logic zones) except perhaps PERSONAL score points. But heck those can be rigged. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] Carefully losing a battle is brain-dead. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The point of the game is not saving your tank. The point is capturing ground in a limited amount of TIME. More times than I can count I have heard careful tankers slowing plotting their next kill in their smoking tank, while most of the objectives are being savagely taken by the enemy who is rushing at break neck speed in a real BLITZKRIEG. Remember that word????? LIGHTNING WARFARE? Panzers in lighting attacks? Ring any bells? If you lose a game and you have not used up your reinforcements something was wrong with you. That German Frau you think is waiting for you back in Berlin – she’s just your imagination. It’s ok to die in Red Orc. Be bold. Think break through. Think Lighting warfare.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Nice words and I have to agree with you on the fact that especially Arad can be a frustrating map if all the tanks hang back on the starting ridge, although you really have to brush up on your math skillz.

How on earth can the Soviet team kill 60 (or 90 for that matter) if the German team only loses 25 tanks? Is there some higher math, other than multiplying, involved? My guess is imaginary numbers or something like that.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with you, although I'm the first to admit I'm awful at math, even when it's spelled out!

I think the 'disconnect' in RO is that the player (on one level) is ultimately concerned with their personal 'score', while on another level they fail to realize that reinforcements are exactly that- reinforcements. In the Real World (tm) military commanders KNOW there will be casualties, and plan for follow-on forces appropriately; the same applies to RO in the form of replacement tanks and infantry.

Players have GOT to drop the notion that the player on the screen is THEM personally (although you HAVE to play it 'personally') but instead represents one of any number of troops on the field. A personal score is a measure of how well the PLAYER does his job, not that particular guy on the screen. If we took it a step further and MADE the on-screen guy you're one and only life (as in, I belive the EFO campaign requires) of course it all changes- but again you have to make the choice between nursing a burning tank or blitzing and possibly capping an objective for your team, maybe 'dying' in the process.

In the end, players shouldn't feel SO bad about getting killed during an RO battle- after all, soldeirs died every day during the real war- and realize they will come back as a replacement sooner or later. It's what they do WHILE they are 'alive' that counts, just as it does in the real thing. (OTOH, if you're getting killed far more often than you should, maybe it's time for some offline practice or something! Getting killed and burning up reinforcements at too high a rate hurts your team just as much as not acheiving objectives.)

Upvote 0
german tanks often hang back more(im taking my examples from BFJ), because of their slower turret turns, the ruskies have to rush to flank german tanks. the germans also have less good tanks on the field. ( the p4 is real sheyawt, and the p4h is really odd, the front armor bounces off the 76s in some places the side is immune to 76's unless ya hit the turret).

Upvote 0
I just remembered some pre-release discussion where the problem that was under discussion was that players had too little concern about their own lives. I would say that it is not the ammount of concern for ones life that is the problem, but rather that many people don't know how to be aggressive without being reckless. Blind charges

Upvote 0