• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lightsaber Effect :/

halbridious

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2011
Michigan (USA)
OK, started a lightsaber a few weeks ago, finally have time to finish the model. I have the "hilt" piece almost done, but i'm now faced with the challenge of the blade. I need advice/suggestions as to how to do it. I don't have any idea as to how i'd achieve the signature glowing energy beam look :(

EDIT:a pic for you. the current effect is video-post effects from max, but i'm assuming that doesn't take in UE, since its a post-render touch. And yes, i know the metal bit on the handle needs some smoothing :p

Attachments

• saberbase2.jpg
    saberbase2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, here we go.
Mamoo - I plan to steal the sounds right out of star wars if i can, so hopefully it'll sound right!
Excalibolg - I remember seeing that. when it comes to textures i don't know a thing :/ The katana thing appears to be two separate textures with a photoshop style glow painted on, correct? then he switched between them rapidly to make the flicker effect?
YoYo- I'm not sure what you're going for there - i'm so new to this stuff :/ I think i'd need an example to understand. I kinda followed the first bit about a plane, and i get the idea of a bright texture, but the last bit is about textures, and i've never done anything other than basic UV unwrapping and painting. Shaders/finalblends pass me by :(

Upvote 0