• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Leveling system?

kapulA

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
Croatia
Will it be included?

If the answer is positive, I really hope it'll be limited to cosmetic unlocks and such (uniforms, headgear etc), to avoid the current situation in RO2/RS where it grants a noticeable bonus to players who have sunk a fair amount of time in the game, in effect granting them even better weapon handling/stamina and increasing the difference between them and new players. Imo (and not only my own), the game/map knowledge are a big enough advantage as is, it's not necessary to make regulars/vets even better, stat-wise, than they already are.

Last edited:
Will it be included?
god i hope not...
the visual character level progression can stay,i like it :cool: (but make it optional,so you can choose if you want it or not)

but...Tripwire,please no weapon leveling,no weapon unlocks,no stats bonuses,no enemy weapon loadouts,no rare/prototype weapons and no other stuff you put in RO2/RS.

just equal and fair weapon combat,where only the skill of the player mathers,and where a level 1 and a level 99 have the same weapons/ equipment.

Utek

Upvote 0
just equal and fair weapon combat,where only the skill of the player mathers,and where a level 1 and a level 99 have the same weapons/ equipment.

Utek

well technically a level 1 and 99 have the same equipment besides even with leveling a level 99 with just a pistol can do better than a level 1 with an mg42 so skill is still the only thing that has ever mattered

Upvote 0
no they dont.
a level 99 in RO2/RS (realism mode) has bigger and more mags. less recoil,less weapon sway,faster reloads,faster aim down sights and a scope,bayonet,grip,stock and a automatic pistol,...

he can also run faster and takes less suppression and more.

Yea in writing you can make it sound scary, ingame the 8% move speed increase doesn't do anything

Upvote 0
Well, the point of this thread is that such bonuses do add up, and when applied to a player's avatar (the player having taken the time to level his classes/weapons up) it provides an unnecessary and even perhaps unfair advantage over the people who are getting to know the game and are stuck with level 0 noobvatars.
The effects of this is are manifold - firstly, and imo most importantly, it makes the game less fun for new people (jump on a server and get annihilated by MG42 hipfiring Usain Bolts :p), which results in a smaller player base and also smaller player retention after sales/free weekends/whatever - and secondly, for me at least, when playing with the bonuses it feels kinda cheap, since the stock sway for example is negligible even at lower levels, so the sway reduction bonus enables you to land accurate shots with even less effort, not to mention the faster IS time which also enables you to land those shots with a very small delay after sprinting...

And edit: What I'm trying to say is - do away with the carrot-on-a-stick leveling approach and invest that time into actual gameplay mechanics that make each class fun and interesting to play in its own regard; invest the time and effort into anything else, imho, be it maps, content or new gameplay concepts. The various leveling systems are one of the most dubious and arcadey playing incentives in the history of gaming - at least try to treat your customers like individuals who get the concept of the Skinner box... :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Designing leveling systems is something I feel like Tripwire struggles with. RO2/RS has brutal requirements to get to get to a decent level and, as others have said, it creates a lopsided game with veterans having considerable stat advantages over newcomers. Killing Floor 1 has the same problem, but it's less game-breaking since it's not PvP, but players versus a horde of CPUs. KF2 feels a little better with more regular levelups and the perk trees, but even so some of those stat bonuses are insane. I just don't feel like Tripwire has it down yet when it comes to designing leveling systems. It would be a big red flag for me when considering whether to buy this game if it has the same leveling system as RO2/RS.

Upvote 0
Yea in writing you can make it sound scary, ingame the 8% move speed increase doesn't do anything

8% movement speed is pretty noticeable, maybe you don't notice it because you are used to it, but play on a level 0 realism character, or on a classic server and it feels much nicer and believable.

Anyways, all the visual stuff like the dirtier characters, different weapon wear, different outfits are the best parts of the progression system and I hope they make it back into the game in some way.
Weapon customization wasn't that great in RO2, but I think it will actually work a lot better in a setting like Vietnam. However, if there are more permanent stat bonuses in RS2 than RO2, then I hope to god that there will be a Classic mode available at launch.

Upvote 0
Cosmetic upgrades that could be used for character customization such as a cigarette pack for the helmet, foliage, etc. that is all fine.

Honestly I think a purely 100% dedicated cosmetic upgrade system is the way to go.

To expand on what you've said, we could have "medal/achievement" specific rewards that unlock customization options.

Such as;

Kills
100/250/500/1000 sniper rifle kills; Unlock camo netting for different body parts

100/250/500/1000 Shotgun kills; Unlock shell bandolier, fastmoving clothing, bandanna

Progression
Rank 10/25/50/75/100; More grizzled, hardened soldier looks (head/shoulders/chest/legs)

Squad score/assists/kills/objectivepoints; various decals, peace signs, squad signs, logos random crap etc.

Support score (arty/choppers/tanks); relevant vehicle crew style gear (not crew uniform, things that an ex pilot/crew member would take with them after they lose their vehicle (hats, chestgear, crew insignia)

Haven't really thought these through, they just came to me when I was chatting to my mate about having something other than a "perk" upgrade system.

100% cosmetic is the way to go IMHO
As much as the game was pretty woeful, Brink has a customization system I really liked
http://brink.wikia.com/wiki/Customization

Upvote 0
The leveling awards are noticeable in RS. Having more recoil control and movement speed makes you a better killer and I know my kdr has gone up because of it.

When it comes down to it, the leveling system is unnecessary since the people who want to get to 99 ASAP will create their own servers with bots and kill them all for points. Cosmetic leveling would be cool as stated above.

Upvote 0
I would like to suggest something revolutionary if they did decide to keep the levelling system. Instead of positive things, they instead become negatives. So you can choose to either remain a level one recruit forever, or you can choose to move up the ranks, but for every rank you move up, you take on handicaps which bring you down to normal instead of buffs. This way, looking like a badass veteran soldier actually means you've got the skill to play as one, not just the feeling of superiority.

Maybe it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it'd be a lot more balanced than the present system, and playing as a hero would basicly be a commitment to actually playing tactically rather than relying on the twitch shooting reflexes you normally develop from playing nonstop. That and people would actually be impressed by it.

Upvote 0
I actually enjoyed the levelling system and have to admit that it partially motivated me to play. Of course it wasn't a main motivation, but it sure was a nice thing to have back in the mind while playing long sessions.

But as mentioned several times in this thread: It wouldn't be bad to limit it to cosmetic things or at least tone the advantages down for a bit.

But please leave it in a way that requires the player to actually spend LOTS of time into it to reach the maximum rank. Just as it is in RO2/RS now. It takes a very long time to reach maximum lvl (99). And that's the way it should be.
Don't go the Battlefield way where it only took like 20 gaming hours to reach the maximum level.

Upvote 0
I hate the leveling system and I pre-ordered RO2.

I'm a high level and I unlocked most of the guns on day 1 because of my pre-order but unlike most high level players I'm not in support of the leveling system! Most high level players defend the leveling system because they've either forgotten what its like to be low level or they don't want newer players to have a fighting chance.

I'm in favor of having a system that gives you a rank to say how good you at the game and having unlockable cosmetics but I really really don't want a leveling system that gives you any kind of an advantage over other players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If they get rid of the level ups apart from the cosmetic stuff then maybe I would be compelled to buy the game.

But if the game will be just like below in the video, where you're gunning everyone down with MG42 from the hip or instantly go to iron sights and run up the stairs with a blazing speed or generally ridiculously fast paced then I will pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9i1gtJsma0

Last edited:
Upvote 0