• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's discuss movement

Scarf Ace

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
Movement is a big thing in any FPS game, or any game for that matter. It's often one of the most defining factors in gameplay. I think movement is one of the things RO2 could do a bit better. More precisely, sprinting.
First off, the speed is A-OK. I think we all know about how fast we can run, and RO2 feels pretty much spot on for your average guy. However, a big difference between RO2 and real life is that in RO2 we can get to a full sprint and stop again in an almost superhuman way.
I think it's obvious that gaining speed is a tiny bit too fast, but nowhere near as big an issue as slowing down is.
If you've played sports that involve moving with some agility (and as a human being, you probably have :p), you know exactly how tricky it can be to stop or quickly change your direction in a full sprint. If you stop you'll often either start making small, rapid steps (sometimes hops) as you slow down or slide if the surface allows it. Another way is to bump into or catch yourself on something. In short, momentum simply prevents us from stopping like RO2 characters can.
Now, while these various things arguably don't need to be visually represented with too much detail, the impact of simulating this in some way would be quite profound. You'd have to think a lot more before sprinting. The player's ability to do "cod shooting" would be seriously reduced, and attacking and defending would require a lot more thought.
What I'd do is slow down sprint deceleration and lengthen the transition from holding your weapon in the "sprinting positions" to the "ready to fire" positions.
I think that both in terms of gameplay and realism, making the sprint acceleration/deceleration closer to real life would improve RO2.

So, let's discuss.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree though to be honest if maps are going to be restricted to this sort of size due to the game engine or something I think we need to reduce the normal sprint speed a little..

We do need the stop start on a dime issue resolving; its just ridiculous especially as you can stop, clamp your iron sights up, zoom and fire off a shot in a second then enter super sprint again. Once you add this to the number of automatic weapons its no wonder the games becoming a bit arcade like and is shedding people every day.

Upvote 0
Great thread, man. :D

I agree with you. I got some suggestions to this. Basicly the same thing as you said, but yeah..

The ability to go from stop to sprint is something you can do in about a milisecond in RO2. The same applies for making a dead stop. You can even sprint and make a dead stop in order to aim down the sight.. It's also possible to turn around 180 degrees while sprinting and still remain the same speed. It makes it very twitchy. Another thing is that you can sprint up for stairs at the same speed as you sprint on flat ground, and sprinting up stairs and hills doesnt seems to affect your stamina.

Upvote 0

you are generally right. These changes were introduced to make RO2 game as fast paced (CoDish) game and attract newcomers.
In results:
- some new guys bought game, left it because of bugs, not working server browser, not attractive (for them) gameplay or graphics and start playing BF3 and MW3 (soon).
- RO vets that still play this game (or want to), feel that RO2 is "another arcadish shooter" not unique RO spirited game and write threads like this and hope that TWI or modders fix gameplay soon.

Because of that RO2 playerbase is going down (link to steam stats graph can be found in another thread)

Regarding player movement: it feels so wrong when you see a guy running and when he gets shot he can run like nothing happened. He only needs to use first aid kit (bandages) to stop dying and he's as good as new. RO:O or ArmA 2 wounding system are masterpieces comparing to this.

Upvote 0
I completely agree with OP. Introduction of momentum and reduction of the turning speed while sprinting is what I'm looking forward to. I'd also welcome a mechanics that would prevent people from sprinting while climbing or descending stairs. A little bit slower movement on rubble, especially rubble slopes would be nice too. It's weird when you see soldiers blitzing through it without tripping.

Upvote 0
The max sprint is 75 meters, the sprinting speed is 5m/s (18kph or ~11mph).

Walking speed however seems to be around 3m/s (10.8kph or 6.7mph), due to it taking the player some 25 seconds to walk the 75m distance over the 15 seconds sprinting it.

Also note you can sprint for about 15 seconds.

Though I do agree Momentum would be a nice touch, and help out the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mekhazzio
Upvote 0
The max sprint is 75 meters, the sprinting speed is 5m/s (18kph or ~11mph)
Hunh, I was curious but never bothered testing it out, good find. That's actually surprisingly conservative, considering that's hardly any faster than what's needed for a 6 minute mile, and that's, well, a whole mile :D That speed for that short of a distance is less of a sprint and more of a jog.

Upvote 0
Reduction of turning speed is what I want. Acceleration/deceleration....it's off but I've been able to deal with it. It's the turning speed that feels wholly unnatural and results in a lot of the "I shot him and he spun around and shot me in a split second!" complaints. Nerfing that would nerf most run 'n gunners' survivability by a good margin.

Reactions: Golf33
Upvote 0
Momentum and inertia with sprint turning speed would be nice, but as anyone who has ever done suicides can attest to (I used to run the 800 and 400 meter, play soccer, and fence), it doesn't take much more than a second to break into a respectable sprint from a completely still standing or crouched position. After fiddling around a lot in practice mode, I have to say that movement from a cold start is fairly well modeled.

I just did a bunch of running around on Spartanovka, and the more I fiddle around the more impressed I am.

Running in a crouch is slower, taking 13 seconds to cross the length of the fence in front of the Church as opposed to ten seconds with a standing sprint.

Turning more than about 150 degrees while in a full sprint or even when jogging kills any movement, and about a second's delay passes before you reach full speed again. Perhaps there should be inertia for anything more than a 90 degree turn, but there is inertia. Ever play soccer or football on defense, miss the ball handler as he dribbles/sprints around you, and have to execute a 180 on the double to catch up? The game conjures up that physical feeling quite well in my opinion. A 90-degree turn does take an instant or two to execute too, though.

The issue is that with any combat/sports game, the game has to assume that you're in dire peril or under serious pressure with every movement. While you'd probably reload more slowly when you're a hundred yards from the frontline than if you're going room-to-room in Zab's House, the game's movement and weapon handling have to be modeled under the assumption that your avatar is in a life-or-death situation. That sprint from a cold start is to avoid a grenade or cross a street with bullets flying around you, even if you're just leaving spawn.

Honestly, RO2's movement system is the most natural-feeling movement system in any FPS I've ever played. Nothing else, from MOHAA to Halo to CoD:WaW to BF:1942 to Counter-Strike, even comes close.

EDIT: just saw the post in front of me. The current snap-to iron sights speed is more appropriate for a handgun than a ten-pound rifle or submachine gun, especially from a sprint. As for low survivability, I think weapon zoom/sway issues are a little more relevant there...

If anything, the movement system is my clear favorite between movement, aiming, switching weapons, and the other physical mechanics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right on OP, we need inertia in a big way.

I think the sprint speed is a bit too high and too long. I've seen some players (leveled up maybe :mad:) that sprint at superhuman speeds as well.

Weight and terrain should affect movement and stamina, play ARMA if you want to see that done pretty well.

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Whilst I fully agree I'm not sure you can apply a momentum formula to stopping from sprint other wise you would have constant issues of running past the point you were getting too as soon as you lifted your finger off W etc.

However at stop you should be swaying like hell and not be capable of going to zoom - steady iron sight in a millisecond

Upvote 0
Ever play soccer or football on defense, miss the ball handler as he dribbles/sprints around you, and have to execute a 180 on the double to catch up? The game conjures up that physical feeling quite well in my opinion. A 90-degree turn does take an instant or two to execute too, though.

Soccer players do not have a gun or two, ammunitions, grenades, steel helmet and other equipment to carry...

Maraz

Reactions: Golf33
Upvote 0