• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Less voice responses?

eckojay

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
I was quite disappointed to see the changes to the character dialog menu. Aside from the awkward radial controls, why is there less options for response than Killing Floor 1? Has the number of responses been reduced to accommodate the radial menu or is it for some other reason?
The inability to give directions to teammates or even thank them seems like an odd choice.

Will these be returning later in early access or closer to release? I don't think the utility of these phrases can be understated. There's plenty of players out there that need to be conveniently insulted too.

Akward?
1. no more stupid numbers clicking
2. easier to remember
3. works with gamepads (for weird-ish pc gamers and ps4 later on)

I'm gonna get used to it. Get inside, get outside, come upstairs and all that bull**** is really not needed. Follow me can take over all those commands.

Upvote 0
i don't like the radial menu myself, but where is the complaint about hard to select coming from? you just need to tweak the mouse in a direction and left click. it's fast and hardly takes a second if you just remember which directon each option is in.

and i agree we need a "thanks" at the least. also it would be great if "get to the trader" wasn't voiced as a monologue that players will tune out. i've not heard the voice lines because they rambled on.

Upvote 0
Akward?
2. easier to remember

I'm gonna get used to it. Get inside, get outside, come upstairs and all that bull**** is really not needed. Follow me can take over all those commands.

1. Stupid? What's so stupid about it?
2. That is true, but once you remember the numbers, you're done. As Nenjin was saying, you have way more options/flexibility with numbers.
3. A radial menu can exist alongside standard hotkeys.

I could get used to less commands. But I mean there is no "thanks". Yeah, maybe all that isn't needed, but that's really besides the point here.

The reality is that it's tricker to do, it's somewhat slower cause you have to also move the mouse too. You can't shoot while doing these commands. And again, it fills up your vision.

Upvote 0
Akward?
2. easier to remember

I find it unwieldy with the mouse personally, especially during waves.

"Numbers clicking" and sub-menus inherently allows for more responses. I'm not a real fan of removing features in sequels that were in the original.
Yeah in theory it should be easier to remember. However this doesn't exactly matter after a few hours in Killing Floor, anyone should be able to become proficient with responses after some practice. Anyone who has 2k hours in Killing Floor should be more than familiar with just about ever response chain. My issue is more with the number of responses available, not the menu itself.
and therein lies the problem. I'm playing with a mouse and keyboard, not a controller surprisingly. It's an odd choice after we were told the console and PC versions are being developed independently. I don't think I should be using a controller based menu by default, much less be forced to use it.

Upvote 0
I agree with everyone talking about missing the quick voice chat keybinds.

I've been so used to quick voice keybinds for so long that its easy to call back on instinct and very easy to quick memorize too.

I really dislike the radial voice command because it throws me off as well, fighting in game and having to bring up radial is really distracting and disorienting.

I wish they would change it back.

Upvote 0