• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Larger Belts for my nades

I know I have WAY more space on my belt for more than 2 hand grenades. Honestly guys, i should be able to carry like 4 without even feeling any side effects.....

Just imagine the chaos....

We all know grenades are a major problem. It's actually gotten to the point where instead of advancing, people are just lobbing nades and sitting back for some "rifle sniping." Ya so this may the BEST strategy when your playing in a pub, but the realism is out the window. I highly doubt that soldiers were trained to just "launch their grenades into any open place" and pray that it does something favorable. How do you combat a often successful tactic? These "Hail Mary" grenades either A) kill the enemy, B) scare the enemy or my favorite C) MESS MY AIM UP WHEN I'M SHOOTING (i.e. pseudo artillery.)

I know this idea has been sliding around the forums since before most of us were born, but I to this day have never seen a way in gaming to stop or slow down this unrealistic, yet successful, tactic we call nade spam. IMO there are only a few things that you could do to help this situation.

A) Make nades weaker (damage, range, etc.)
Probally make some people cry over this one, but when all the sudden your nades don't do what you thought it would, you will be a little more careful about how you use them.

B) Lower the amount of nades
This one I really think would just reduce nade spam action in general. Infantry would start with one on their belt (with the ability to pick up a second at ammo spot or dead body) This way, we would reduce the spam by half maximum, yes half. * I know this is a map designer concept, but I really think it should be universal *

C) Big box of nades that can run empty
This is probably my favorite, one I've seen before on forums, and one that logically makes sense. Every platoon had supplies, often limited supplies. When you have a whole war on one front, everyone needs their stuff. Often times, you as a soldier would not be perfectly outfitted. Your platoon sometimes would not have enough to go around. In Russia, sometimes you would even be lucky to get a gun or a clip to go in it. My point here is that your team has a consistently rising stockpile of ammo, nades, etc. At the same time, your supplies need to be limited so that your team is not always guaranteed a perfect outfitting. It is YOUR choice as a infantry soldier to decide how much you want to take into combat. Maybe you will pass on the nades for the next objective, maybe you will only take 5 clips instead of 9 as a rifleman. Resource conservation is a big part of war too, and I really think it should be recognized in RO. When your team starts to realize that, hey maybe i should play smart here, they will make decisions that quite possibly could affect the outcome of the entire team. Smart, considerate team = winning team 9/10 times. *Yes i do realize that dumb people do dumb things, and this would essentially ruin this idea. Honestly I can't think of a better way to teach people than to punish them for being greedy*

You could also make it on a personal level with personal resources. You might actually think twice about running and dieing when you have no clips left in your stockpile. Eh, its a raw idea but i think this could be implemented to prevent waste of war materials, which was realistic.

These are just a few ideas. Hey, maybe these wouldn't even work, but just maybe, I can inspire someone else in the community to brainstorm a really sweet idea, as those kids say today. :)

A) Make nades weaker (damage, range, etc.)
Probally make some people cry over this one, but when all the sudden your nades don't do what you thought it would, you will be a little more careful about how you use them.

No. This is not a good idea. Nades should be as close to the real effectivenes, as possibly. But I understand that ofcourse they are not perfect even now.

trackturtle20 said:
C) Big box of nades that can run empty
This is probably my favorite, one I've seen before on forums, and one that logically makes sense. Every platoon had supplies, often limited supplies. When you have a whole war on one front, everyone needs their stuff. Often times, you as a soldier would not be perfectly outfitted.

Yep. Not a bad idea, but don

Upvote 0
Yeah, the 'nades are often a problem. Apart from spamming there are also other kinds of strange features. E.g. it's sort of stupid when you are playing with the SMG gunner that often it's better to kill enemies at medium range with grenades rather than with the SMG. I don't know if this is realistic or not but it feels weird.

But it don't think the grenades should be any less effective than they are now, because even currently they have very low lethality. You can stand next to a grenade 10 meters away and not get a scratch. I think the only solution is to reduce the number of grenades and give them strictly for certain classes.

Upvote 0
From the German point of view, you could get away with a pair of potato mashers in the belt and a pair of egg grenades clipped to the ammo pouches. Four stick grenades in the belt is going to be awkward to say the least provided you could even fit them all in there. FWIW, in WWII they were stuck through the belt at an angle, not clipped to it as in the game. (WWI German grenades had a clip, not the WWII versions.)

Upvote 0
'Nade spam' is perfectly realistic. I've seen a lot more than just one archive film where a whole Heer squad of 9 each tossed a nade at the one target.

I believe I have also seen few, so it is not that unrealistic in the long run.

The problem is that let's presume every player has 4x nades. That's quite much firepower on its own, but let's face the fact that RO has rather funny respawn system, thus making this rather 'serious' nadetillery possible.

And gameplaywise it becomes more or less annoying when every map turns into a battle of nadetillery of german potato mashers and russian eggs.

Another funny realism related thing is, that even though it is not impossible at all to have few nades going on, carrying more than E.G. three potato mashers on your belt will eventually cause disadvatange in your general movement, and in some positions (E.G. keep a potato master on front side of your belt and then you suddenly dive on your belly... imagine what that might cause), and the fact you never about supplies and the fact we can't simulate both of them on RO at all, the current system is fine. Not super realistic, but not too unrealistic.

Upvote 0
It was the norm to keep the stick grenades tucked in the front of the belt. In fact, I can't recall seeing them anywhere else on the belt. You don't have a ton of room in between the two ammo pouches, and if you were to put any more than two in there, they'd have to be jammed in there almost vertically. That would cause a lot more inconvenience than the normal way of wearing them at an angle.

There is a model of shovel carrier that a couple can be tucked into, and I have seen photos with them tucked into the top of the soldier's jackboots - that's more of a WWI trench-raider thing though.

I guess you could always go this route...

http://home.comcast.net/~jimmydodd3/120ww1trenchraider.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lol, the amount of times ppl have suggested this. I have to agree, just played a 38 player server on krasny okyabr as mg. Omg how many just run into the open to blindly thow nades. I couldnt even set up my mg outside of spawn coz all the areas were being pummled. Yeah, i racked up a load of kills, but how lame it feels not to advance at all. Hlaf the time theres just no point running away coz ull never get out of range.

Tbh i just drop my nades when i spawn coz i prefer killing ppl with the skill of my aim & quick reactions.

Anyone played zhitomir revenge? The map plays out nicely, even with 50 ppl, coz half the classes are missing grenades. Way more fun to actually shoot ppl using a gun.

Upvote 0