• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lack of Armored Beasts servers

So I tried FKMod's #4 server this weekend, the 24/7 Debrechen with AB server. Played it a bunch of times.

It was fun, but honestly didn't seem all that different from stock RO. Most fights were over in 1-2 shots. The major improvements were the separate turret damage, the different turret armor values, and the fact that T-34s aren't invincible at a 30 degree angle. Oh, and the guns aren't anywhere near as accurate as in stock RO (which makes sense since the tanks seem a LOT more fragile and I doubt they were quite so pinpoint accurate in real life anyway).

At the closer ranges, it becomes even more apparent how fragile the tanks seem to be. Anyone with a modicum of aim can take out enemy tanks QUITE easily, again, usually within 1-2 shots as in stock RO.

So, again, I think the biggest problem AB is gonna face is the lack of maps where range and penetration values actually start to come into effect, which doesn't seem to even include Debrechen all that much. I had maybe a few shots ricochet, but I just aimed a little higher at the turret face and blammo. Dead enemy.

Engagement ranges were longer, but given the armor mix on Debrechen,

Upvote 0
- Orel
- BlackDayJuly
- Krivioi Rog
- Debrecen

None of those are early war maps all of them take place in 1943 or 1944
and anyways we have a lack of early war tanks .If you are thinking of the Panzer III L vs the Bt-7/T-60 that may work on stock RO but on AB the Panzer III L has realistic armor and gun properties meaning that the BT-7/T-60 should not have any chance of killing the Panzer III L from the front or even the rear., the Panzer IV F1 is would be the same way except the rear part. The T-60 would have to come with in suicide range to kill you from the side.
What you would need for an early engagement is more varaints and early tanks for both sides. You simiply can not pin a late verison of the medium Panzer III or an uparmored Pz IV f (FHA 50mm front) against a prewar light tank design and expect the light tank to have a"chance".

Upvote 0
Yeah the early war engagements would need to have German loadouts of earlier model Pz IIIs and IVs, along with Pz IIs going up against BT-7s, T-60s, and some T-26s, and maybe a few T-28s (although I don't think all that many survived the winter war, but I could be wrong there). That said, the T-26s would really only be good against the Pz IIs, and the T-28s would be pretty rare. The BT-7s might do ok against the earlier model Pz III and IVs, but they'd still have a tough time. The T-34-76 would really be where the Russians would have a shot.

A lot of the early war engagements would be more interesting in a Winter War campaign or in North Africa. On the Eastern Front, the Russians were fairly out-classed until the T-34 and KV series came out.

Upvote 0
Mid-war works, yeah. Basically from '42 on, you can probably set up relatively balanced maps without having to tweak the game too much. You might not even have to remodel all that many vehicles. Just give them different stats in many cases and you're probably able to have reasonably balanced maps.

Upvote 0
A little offtopic question. Is anybody working on some tank maps? Cause I don't know, do I suppose to wait for some maps or just give a rest of this. I only know that Shurek soon probably release his tank map Voronezh and that's all. I would like to see some new tank maps and play it with AB. But please, enough of 1943!!!!!!!! I guess everybody were making maps in 1943 cause only loadout 88 vs 76 is quite a bit balanced in stock RO. Maps in 1944 like for example Arad, germans don't have chances against IS2 and T34/85 in stock RO.

Upvote 0
alittle offtopic question. Is anybody working on some tank maps? Cause I don't know, do I suppose to wait for some maps or just give a rest of this. I only know that Shurek soon probably release his tank map Voronezh and that's all. I would like to see some new tank maps and play it with AB.

Keystone said:
But please, enough of 1943!!!!!!!! I guess everybody were making maps in 1943 cause only loadout 88 vs 76 is quite a bit balanced in stock RO.

Well m8 in1943 there were alot of a very big and epic tank engagements mainly at Kursk that I really think should be mapped.-I agree that the tank loadouts are unbalanced seeing as none of the 1943 battles atm are combine arms since the Russians made use of a lot of high caliber guns and AT infantry units Also we lack the SU-152 which although rare would balance the tank load out a bit. Also there is a general dislike towards the Panzer III so most maps just give you the Panzer IV instead which unbalances the map further this is probably due to the Panzer III's dismal perfomance in stock RO.

Keystone said:
Maps in 1944 like for example Arad, germans don't have chances against IS2 and T34/85 in stock RO.

Well mate I hate Ro-Arad wether it be stock Arad or the realism verison the spawn area in my opinion is too close to the combat area. When you go Russian you can easily set up on the tree line facade or similar and shoot any German tankers comming out of the spawn-I did this various times with the IS-2 ran out of ammo a few times nad had to go get resuppiled then I drove back to my suppressing area usually that rock thing or the treeline. Also I'd like to point out that in the summer of 1944 people seem to ignore the large presence of the T-34/76 and add the nothing but the "85" verison.

Upvote 0
Well mate I hate Ro-Arad wether it be stock Arad or the realism verison the spawn area in my opinion is too close to the combat area.
lmao, Arad isn't a tank map, it's a shooting gallery. Spawn then drive 3 seconds and crest the ridge and shoot from there or go the full *whew* 20 seconds till you reach one of the objectives. Arad is like the Danzig of tank maps (instant action). What I do like Arad for though (when I don't feel like tanking on an AB server) is the PTRD. Lately I've been playing that "real forests" version of Arad and I'll strictly play as an PTRD guy, ambushing tanks and generally harrassing & pissing off the enemy immensely. It's great for kicks. I can only pity those who still like tanking on Arad with the aggravating circumstance that they play stock too. I'm tempted to inform them of AB and how Arad is a sick joke for a tank map but I'm sure few of them would care, they are too busy having fun killing each other in a shooting gallery almost totally void of any tactical possibilities...... That's ok though, I'll have immense fun killing them with my PTRD so all is not lost.

Upvote 0
I'm sure a few of them may say "why are you here then?"
PTRD of course. But like I said I leave people alone in game. It's not my job to inform them. When (or if) they've had enough of the redonkulous BS stock tank combat then they will seek out solutions just like I and others have. I'm not shoving anything down their throats.

Upvote 0
A little offtopic question. Is anybody working on some tank maps? Cause I don't know, do I suppose to wait for some maps or just give a rest of this. I only know that Shurek soon probably release his tank map Voronezh and that's all. I would like to see some new tank maps and play it with AB. But please, enough of 1943!!!!!!!!
You mean like this:
lakeya0.png

I've just been messing around with some things, no serious effort at all though (notice the houses straight from Arad) but I wont be able to make a tank map because I just have no time available. What you should do is start a new thread and have everybody "brainstorm" ideas for a tank map. Then when the design and everything is finally agreed on maybe you can recruit a mapper somewhere (or maybe they'll come to you). Or it could be a combined effort like one guy does terrain the other does buildings etc etc.

Upvote 0
A little offtopic question. Is anybody working on some tank maps? Cause I don't know, do I suppose to wait for some maps or just give a rest of this.

i don't here any complaints about your map, so just knock up another like that maybe. Doesn't need a massive brainstorm and it shouldn't take long.
What about that '1st showing of the tiger' thing you mentioned?

Upvote 0
are you thinking of expanding this beyond being just an in game policy?
Well, these are the forums so this is where people give their viewpoints. I'm not going to hide how I feel about how broken I believe stock tanking is. When you refresh the server list and your choices are Arad, Arad, (Danzig of course) ARaD, Arad (lite) and more Arad and only 1 server is running AB and most of the time it's only partially full you tend to get irked about things like that. It would be like some guy who loves Prawnzig (very rare right;)) and all he can count on on a regular basis are tank maps or CA maps.

Upvote 0
It is sad tank maps are few and far between. I got RO because of tanks. it is the only recent WW2 tank sim that is close to realistic. AB(2.07?) takes even it closer IMHO. I will be looking at doing a map once I finish my BanBotFromTankIfPlayerInside mutator.

Us tankers must be a rare breed indeed.

Upvote 0