• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] L.A. Noire

Yes, as it's not time critical to turn up at crime scenes, you're free to explore the map at will.

And It's awesome!
That's not really true. Some events are time critical as I found out from a friend who experienced a case slightly differently than I did since he arrived a bit late to one location.

But there is a streets of LA option available in the case files after you beat the game.

Upvote 0
Looks like they ditched GTA 4 driving physics.

Which is sad IMHO. Not only did I really like GTA IV driving physics, but I think that driving is the weak point of LA Noire.

While it's understandable that 40's street cruisers are not nimble, there's a certain input lag when turning, causing crashes and tank slappers not because of the physics, but because your inputs and corrections are registered with a delay.

And it's even worse during chases, where the chased car zips around on a scripted path obviously discarding any form of underlying physics. It's quite an immersion killer if the car makes impossible slides and accelerates and turns far too quickly.
Not that these things make the chases too difficult, they are in fact quite easy, but they are obviously scripted for cheap effect.

I think that's a shame, because otherwise, it's quite an exceptional game.

Upvote 0
L.A. Noire doesn't make use of the RAGE engine. I think it only maybe uses a very small bit of it but it's mostly an in-house engine made by Team Bondi.

Hence why the driving is different, lighting is different, etc. I didn't know this until recently either.
Really??? The engine feels and looks pretty damn close to the same one in GTAIV and RDR to me.

I've been playing a friends copy of this, its ok, however the investigation/questioning system is a little too rigid for my liking. Also I have had a couple of instances where the relation between evidence and the questions/lies it was to be used against was dubious at best.

I like the game, but I'd like it a lot better if the crime solving element was a lot more complex and less 'hand holdy'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made LA Noire my first console title purchase since I had an Atari 2600, and I'm so far enjoying it... (I've played a few console games on other peoples consoles)..

The game's driving doesn't bother me that much.. you get used to it.. even the car chases sections where the other car makes some crazy turns I can handle with proper use of the handbrake/gas.. just have to be a crazy driver.. the bad is you get yelled at if you take out to much scenery/people, so doing a SAFE car-chase is hard.

My biggest gripe is a few things seem counter-intuitive.. maybe it's because I'm not a hardcore-console-guy.. but the balancing/swinging parts I sorta dislike, Also I end up having to replay alot of parts (chases, whatever) because I hate the console-format camera control, so I am usually loosing my targets.. especially in any dark areas. I think my biggest problems are 'too many damn buttons and my fingers aren't used to it' getting in my way of experiencing the game. :/

Overall though, I'm very happy with my purchase... (there is a bit of hand-holding in the game, by the 3rd case, you quickly learn to just stroll around and always rotate anything.. yet the UI keeps reminding you about it).
I hope they make more in this format.. a SanFran/NYC private-dick storyline would be kick-***.

Compared to the GTAs I've played, there is less draw to me to just cruise around town though.. sure there are secret cars and all that, but the game puts them on your mini-map as ?'s.. WAY TO KEEP A SECRET.. .. so no need to cruise.. just set a waypoint and make your partner drive you there....

Upvote 0
okay, I've nearly found bloody BD, but I have no clue who it is. Who was in all the cases? Who could have done this? Who has the power of hopping around rooftops like spiderman making blood trails?

The Suspects:
Me; I would have never guessed. And my super-agility would help.
Larry, from Phoenix Wright. Because its always Larry.
Other than that, I'm stumped, but I guess I'll find out as soon as I get around to solving this last Shelley peice.

Upvote 0