• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Krivoi Rog

The map is just bad and unrealistic. A open field would never be any sort of stratigic objective in a war. If anything it would be fighting over the mountains and the high points in the middle and the edges. Maybe it would make more sense if they put a village or two in each of the cap zones and they were the reason to take control of it. As it stands now the map is just really cheesy and fake. Just like black day july. You just wont ever hear people in war go hey lets take control of that field and hold up there. it dosnt make sense. a forest a village some mountains anything for some sort of cover or stratigic value but not a open field. The whole concept of the map needs to be rethought. IF they threw a village in each cap zone and moved the spawns to the edges of the map that would be a lot better. Like the germans spawn on the right of the map the russians on the left. That way the whole map would be used and the center of the map throught he mountains and valleys would be a good chokepoint that would be important to fight over and hold just to have access to the other side of the map.

Many of the tank battles on the East front took place on huge plains/steppes that went on for hundreds and hundreds of kilometres. In many places, such as the region surrounding Stalingrad, or the approaches to Moscow were just that, wide open fields. The Russian Steppe. The battles didn't take place to control the field itself, but usually a strategic rail line feeding industrial centres or bringing supplies from industry, or road (which in WW2 Russia tended to be a muddy trail).

Perhaps to make the map more realistic, the mountains in the middle should be taken out so it truly does resemble the steppe, one large flat area. Then place small collective farms around it with "strategic" rail lines passing through it. It would at least give the map a point, an objective that makes sense historically.

Upvote 0
The mountains in the middle are an unfortunate necessity for FPS' sake. That said, we don't have to SPAWN in the mountains. You could spawn at either end of the map and fight it out accordingly, perhaps advancing in spawn as you move forward.

Personally, I'd design the map so that the armies spawn evenly on both sides of the mountains at the far end. The end zones are captured for the "home team" and the middle zones are as-yet uncaptured. Not sure if I'd leave the spawns where they start for the whole map (to encourage maneuvering and survival) or have them advance slightly (to prevent boredom), but starting out in the "end zones" would be a lot better. Maybe have the middle zone of the mountains be an area you fight over with a protected spawn for each side once they capture it. I dunno.

Still, longer range engagements won't happen if everyone clusters around the spawn exits.

Upvote 0
3000 meters view is cool and all but are there really any tankers making 3000 meters shots? If so I'd like to shake their hand. About the max distance shot I'll go for is about 1200 meters. Anything much more than that and I'm firing at .25% of a single pixel. Of course with increased view distance you can spot tanks before they get into kill range and manuever appropriately but 3000 might be excessive. I would go for a max view dist of about 1700 meters. Plus you'll get better performance which is always good.

Upvote 0
Well, that's actually what you'd expect. And that's kind of the point. 1200m should be the initial engagement range for a fair bit of the German armor, and at that range they should at least have a chance of hitting, thanks to the optics. The Russians, on the other hand, should have a tougher time at that range, and shouldn't be able to penetrate (but should be able to be penetrated themselves).

The key difference with the viewdistances is you can see the enemy at that range and maneuver accordingly. And with the fog edge being out at 3000m, instead of being JUST at 1200m, the German tanks can show off their ranged abilities. And the Russian tanks have a reason to be speedy low-profile buggers.

The basic point is that the engagements should START happening at those ranges. Not be the exception to the rule. But, given the design of the map, most engagements are still in the usual stock RO range of between 400m and 700m.

Upvote 0