• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 3 Suggestions

brockzilla1

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 3, 2024
Hi there long time player of KF and is a cool game, would your team consider making the character usage of running and sliding for players easier in combat, just like used in Titanfall and cold war, another thing that would be great is to make it easier to jump over rails and objects to escape danger and I hope all Tripwire considers this for gameplay, thanks.👍

Reactions: Anon24w0w~
Hi there long time player of KF and is a cool game, would your team consider making the character usage of running and sliding for players easier in combat, just like used in Titanfall and cold war, another thing that would be great is to make it easier to jump over rails and objects to escape danger and I hope all Tripwire considers this for gameplay, thanks.👍
Maybe some breakable (by zeds or weapons even) stucked door or sth like that could be added in 1 or 2 places on the map, but I don't know if it would be worth to even programm that kind of player's action. Interesting idea of sliding to get out of the danger for couple seconds (maybe only crawlers shouldn't be stucked on them) but is it really worth? We have sprint tho.

Upvote 0
Well... The thing is that it's indeed a very Titanfall thing to do. I don't believe any other game truly managed to replicate such movement tech. And barely more even tried to do so. Hell... Remember how Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare was trashed before release? Because people got super mad we had YET ANOTHER Call of Duty game with air movement and whatnot. I think people tend to like their shooters with more grounded moves for the most part... Outside of movement shooters of course.

Straight out of my mind, the only modern games I can think of who also tried similar things (in multiplayer games mind you) are Brink and Lawbreakers... Both being quickly forgotten by history mind you. Quite a shame though, as I thought Lawbreakers was pretty damn crisp. Each of the nine classes had different movement tech, that played perfectly within the different maps on offer, and usually tailored to their gameplay in a pretty meaningful way. But I guess Killing Floor 3 could have movement more akin to Brink... Which was far more reasonable (albeit still impressive for 2011!). You could slide, you could wall-run a little, climb up or down... Fairly straightforward.

Anything beyond that (and even such capabilities in fact) could drastically change the Killing Floor formula. Kiting was already a big problem in KF2... Imagine if you could quickly slide before getting boxed in, or if you could wall-run where no zeds can harm you... That'd be a little too powerful. And it would make already mobile perks that require little to no aiming absolutely bonkers.

In fact, you'd have to rethink maps, zeds, perks and potentially weapons altogether. So much so that I wonder if it's even worth it... Because if you don't, and try to keep it rather simple, then it would be nothing more than a gadget. And I feel like crazier movement should ALWAYS benefit the game, not just bring some spectacle.

Reactions: OnionBubs
Upvote 0
First, calling out OP for putting this under the Maneater forums and not KF3's. 🙃
Mods probably need to move this.

would your team consider making the character usage of running and sliding for players easier in combat, just like used in Titanfall and cold war👍
So one thing that few people seem to bring up in suggestions like these is a consideration as to how adding what could collectively be called "increased movement" would affect the game as a whole, and what means for level designs, Zed kits, player kits, etc.

KF titles have had more grounded movement than others as part of their base designs, partially because having a bunch of more-or-less regular Joes being able to perform exotic stunts would be out-of-focus for what the devs intended, and partially because it's easier to program and balance around the more simplified movement.

Take KF1 for example.
The players shuffle around like they have a load in their pants, and up until the higher difficulties the Zeds barely move faster outside of raged large Zeds...but you shouldn't need to run fast when you have zero-falloff-hitscan weapons. Two perks move faster than the others to compensate for poor long-range offensive power (Berserker) and poor damage with hard-to-reliably-use weapons (Field Medic). The only other way for players to move more quickly is by holstering your guns and running with your knife out because it's an easy way to balance mobility vs. ready firepower, as letting you sprint and shoot at full strength would break the game. (Think of it as either forcing you to commit to a reposition with the knife because you can't shoot, or forcing you to commit to standing your ground if you decide to return fire on an incoming horde and thus running the risk of being killed because you didn't get out of dodge.)

KF2 adds sprinting and breaks the "knife out for faster" runspeed rule with it, which meant that the Zeds had to compensate for the added player mobility, or else the game would've died out a week after release due to being able to conga line the Zeds without any trouble and the game would pose no challenge whatsoever. Hence why they now sprint to catch up to slower perks, and have much less forgiving/closer spawn points as a counter force of sorts to perma-sprinting Zerks and Medics (and Survivalists, and Gunslingers, and SWATs...).
I dunno if you've noticed, but the fast Zeds and spawn systems are two of the most complained about features of KF2 because they counter certain playerbase habits and make headshotting lots of things harder, which is why most people prefer the perks that don't have to aim or can just eat damage and run in the highest difficulties.

So adding even more burst movement to KF3 means that the Zeds have to get even more stuff to counter players being able to use that in their toolkit. Think about that before players are given more get-out-of-being-surrounded tookit features.
And don't even get me started on the much-requested feature of "added verticality" a la DOOM 2016/Eternal and pretty much every single recently released "boomer shooter" under the sun. If players could chain-wall-run, double jump with dash inertia, and slide tech for instakill jump kicks like in Titanfall, do you think the KF2 Zeds would seriously have a chance?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0