• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2: Summer Update Beta 2 Is Now Live for PC!

KF2 Summer 2022 Beta 2
To opt into this beta on Steam, join the "preview" branch available in the Beta drop-down list. Admins will need to use the following SteamCMD flag:
  • app_update 232130 -beta preview

To opt into this beta on EGS, the Beta will be accessible within KF2 owners’ game libraries as a separate install called “Killing Floor 2 Beta”. Users may need to restart their EGS launcher for the Beta to populate and be accessible to install. Progress for stats and inventory is shared between both versions on EGS so for users switching between Beta and Live be sure to sync your game data to use the latest timestamp to prevent any lost progress from participating in the Beta. The Beta on EGS also includes its own dedicated server within the install folder for your own personal hosting needs for this version.

Event
Tidal Terror
  • Off the coast of Scotland in the East Shetland Basin of the North Sea, we’ve located a secret research lab hidden away in an oil drilling rig. We can only imagine what horrors the Patriarch and his cohorts have been up to here in this remote location. By the way, if you are one of those people who like to try different weapons, we have a new weekly mode for you, Arsenal Ascent, in which you will be swapping weapons as you kill Zeds. And if that weren't enough, the Horzine Research Group just released two new products, the HRG Head Hunter and the HRG Crossboom, for Sharpshooter and Demolitionist mercs respectively. Hurry up and take a look!
  • Beta 2 Start 05/24/2022, Beta 2 End on the final release

Addressed Community Feedback
As mentioned in the 2021 Killing Floor 2 ‘State of the Game’ our goal is to bring to the community a continued stream of QOL changes for each update throughout the year. Please continue to report any QOL changes you believe should be added to the game by submitting your feedback in the ‘general’ section on our official forums at: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2

Balance
  • Weapons
    • Sentinel
      • Hit damage increased 25%.
    • Reducto Ray
      • Shrink Effect slightly decreased for Scrake, Fleshpound and Quarter Pound.
    • HRG Crossboom
      • Weight decreased from 7 to 6.
    • HRG Head Hunter
      • Alt-fire recharge time decreased from 5 seconds to 3.5 seconds.
  • Weekly Modes
    • Arsenal Ascent
      • HRG Bastion removed from final Weapon Level pool; moved to a lower level.
      • HRG Arc Generator moved to the final Weapon Level pool.
Designer Notes:

The Sentinel is intended to be used as a support tool rather than as a primary weapon. That’s why it has low weight, to make it affordable to combine with other weapons, and low damage, to not replace “player’s job” fighting Zeds. But it seems that the damage was too low, so we have increased it a bit. This little buff makes a difference especially when the Sentinel is fully upgraded and used by a Commando.

The Shrink Effect of the Reducto Ray was too overpowered and could kill larger Zeds very quickly, so we have made them less vulnerable to it. We think that now is more balanced compared to other weapons.

Regarding the HRG Crossboom, we have reduced its weight in order to combine it better with other weapons. We think it’s a versatile weapon for the Demolitionist that can be used for accurate shots covering small or large areas, and this little change can help to create better strategies.

The HRG Head Hunter had a bug in the Beta 1 that made the alt-fire not deal head damage to Zeds. This caused the weapon to be so much weaker than it was supposed to be. With this bug fixed, the actual power of the weapon will be so much more noticeable than before when using the alt-fire. In addition to that, we have reduced its recharge time, as this was also requested by many players. Our changes are focused on the alt-fire as we think this feature is what really distinguishes this weapon from others.

Finally, regarding the new Weekly Mode, Arsenal Ascent, many players requested that the HRG Bastion was lacking power to fight bosses, so we have replaced it by the HRG Arc Generator, which is a Survivalist weapon that performs well against bosses.

Bug Fixes
Also mentioned in the 2021 Killing Floor 2 ‘State of the Game’ our goal is to bring to the community a continued stream of community-reported bug fixes for each update throughout the year. Please continue to report any bugs you discover by visiting our official forums at: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2 and posting in the ‘PC’ or ‘Console’ sections.

Map:
  • Elysium - Fixed an issue where some textures in the main area were not rendering.
  • Rig
    • General
      • Raised the SYG area boundaries to be more visible
      • Moved the map Lobby to an an isolated non-playable area
      • Fixed an issue where kismet warnings were being displayed in the chat box
      • Updated bullet decals and sounds across the map to accurately reflect the materials being hit.
      • Fixed an issue where audio on the map was louder than other areas.
    • North Platform
      • Increased the blood splatter across the area to be consistent with other maps.
      • Fixed zed pathing issues in relation to the players in the area.
    • East Platform
      • Increased the blood splatter across the area to be consistent with other maps.
      • Fixed multiple instances of textures and objects culling too close to the player.
    • West Platform
      • Fixed an issue where weapons dropped on the zed floor spawn would disappear.
    • South Platform
    • Central Platform
      • Fixed multiple collision volumes within the area.
      • Added sound to the Diesel Generator.
    • Laboratory
      • Added sound for the sprinkler system.
      • Adjusted the conveyer to reduce clipping into other objects.
      • Adjusted multiple emergency lights to reduce clipping with the walls.
    • Living Quarters
      • Fixed an issue where weapons dropped on the zed floor spawn would disappear.
    • Main Building
    • Machinery Room
      • Fixed multiple instances of textures and objects culling too close to the player.
    • Connecting Bridge
      • Fixed multiple collision volumes within the area.
      • Fixed an issue where the rain effects were coming through the ceiling.
    • Cargo Storage
    • Oil Shaft
      • Fixed multiple instances of textures and objects culling to close to the player.

Weapons:
  • HRG Head Hunter - Fixed an issue where the alt-fire was not doing head damage.
  • Doshinegun
    • Fixed an issue where the projectile would always appear in the upper right of the screen when fired.
    • Fixed an issue where collectibles were not destroyed upon impact from the dosh.
  • HRG Crossboom
    • Fixed an issue where the arrow fired was offset from the impact decal.
    • Fixed an issue where the arrow post impact was increased in size.
  • Reducto Ray
    • Fixed an issue where ZED’s did not rage except during HOE difficulty
    • Adjusted the weapon animations to reduce hand clipping.
  • Sentinel - Updated the bash attack to prevent the detonator from disappearing for a short time.

Weekly Outbreak:
  • Fixed an issue where weekly modes were not being completable in offline mode.

Cosmetics:
  • Added the Supply Backpack to both Tom Banner and Classic Briar as a wearable cosmetic.

As always, thank you for your continued support!

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 257 featured items
The Crossboom is still pretty underwhelming on Demolitionist. I still think the best way to go about its 10 Ballistic_Shell damage would be to give the bolts their own damage type, so as to enable Bloat decapitations while also dealing more impact damage to Scrakes than the M79 Grenade Launcher, but still be significantly worse than the RPG-7.

Upvote 0
Sentinel damage from 8 to 10
Bash ROF from 45 to 79 / 90 (have spare drones / no spare drones)

Scrake and Fleshpound shrink modifier from 0.2 to 0.1. Now takes twice more ammo to shrink-kill (should be exact 100 ammo without missing)
QuarterPound shrink modifier from 0.3 to 0.2

HRG Head Hunter alt fire recharge time from 5 to 3.5 seconds
HRG Head Hunter's alt-fire still does only body damage, that patch note was probably not included

HRG CrossBoom weight from 7 to 6

in Arsenal Ascend, the HRG Bastion is removed from tier 24 (last) and now there's a chance to instead acquire HRG Arc Generator. Bastion was moved from tier 24 to 19, Arc Generator - vice versa.

Last edited:
Reactions: HazardousMonkey
Upvote 0
The weight thing doesn't really fix the problems inherent to the CrossBoom, which is that it's bad at pretty much everything compared to the rest of Demo's arsenal, RPG or otherwise, at least where 6P HoE is concerned.

Versatility means absolutely nothing if everything the weapon can do is garbage and/or just flat out done better by other weapons...which, in this case, its closest competitor is the M79.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
I fully agree with @OnionBubs , the issue with the Crossboom wasn't really the weight to begin with (although it's not a bad thing to have more versatility in your weapon choices... usually). It's really the damage that doesn't really cut it. And again, I cannot even tell you to pump it up to T3 or something because then it would clash with the Seal Squeal.

I guess I'm just not sold on the weapon from its very premise :/

Upvote 0
Another update that only causes disappointment, the developers don’t even want to think about the fact that there is very little content in their game, the size of the game is large, and all the changes made return interest for another week and that’s it, but apparently it’s more important for developers to turn into TF2 at minimum when the game develops at the expense of the community at a snail's pace

Upvote 0
Another update that only causes disappointment, the developers don’t even want to think about the fact that there is very little content in their game, the size of the game is large, and all the changes made return interest for another week and that’s it, but apparently it’s more important for developers to turn into TF2 at minimum when the game develops at the expense of the community at a snail's pace

Now I do find this unfair. It's actually the opposite : the game suffers from a lot of feature creep. In other words: it has TOO MANY stuff going on, especially weapon-wise. Some guns overlap with each other, while some are simply not as good as others more ubiquitous options (which are often either more versatile, or more efficient in a given role).

They're also consistently released updates for SEVEN years. Much longer than most games nowadays.

Now it is true that a lot of people are probably coming back to the game every three months to try the new guns and complete the event's objectives and not much else... but it doesn't just come from updates that add "little". In fact, it mostly stems from the fact that updates all follow the same path (between 2-4 new weapons, 1 or 2 new maps, and MAAAYBE some balance changes). So the effect of surprise clearly isn't there anymore. And well... Again, it's a seven years old game. It's only natural that most people went on to play other things really.

As for my personal review of the update, now that I've completed all objectives :

-HRG Headhunter : Absolutely atrocious and unfun to play with. I guess the blast wave is quite powerful, but it's a chore to get all three darts planted (and you can only do so twice before reloading). The idea to have the altfire tied to a cooldown is also atrocious considering you already do abysmal damage with the primary. It really needs a full rework. I believe NOT having the cooldown would already be much better. Or make it less expensive so it can be truly used as a "tool" gun.

-HRG Crossboom : I warmed up to it a little. It's surprisingly fun to shish-kebab zeds from afar, only to see them blow to smithereens. But even fully upgraded, it's fairly unreliable against big zeds... A problem, considering it's the main role of the Demo. I also find the option to choose between a concentrated explosion and a wider one fairly... artificial? I mean, you got skills to develop one or the other. And in most cases, you could just... fire at the center of a crowd if you wanted to abuse the splash damage. So it's not THAT good, but it adds a little flavor to the weapon. It's also great that it's a T2.5... But maybe it should even be a proper T2, like the Crossbow? But then again, I guess people would skip the M79 even more. I guess that, like many other newer guns, it suffers from an identity crisis. But it's a fun gun once upgraded once or twice.

-Reducto Ray : Stupidly awesome ! I really didn't expect a new Microwave Gun, but it's eons better than a griefer gun that would have made it harder for everybody to kill even a crawler. It chews through its ammo super fast though, and seems to be affected by blocking zeds (hence how you can deplete a whole mag on a simple Gorefiend...). It's a pure trash cleaner, and arguably one of the best guns to kill EDARs' with ! It's ludicrous, even by Killing Floor standards, but at least it's fun to use.

-Sentinel : The slight damage upgrade already made it much better. At least it can kill trash zeds reliably now ! I also noticed that it aims for the weak points, or maybe I was just lucky? (But it applied to both sirens and EDARs for example). It will still sit in a weird corner as I can't see Commandos foregoing a better gun or upgrade for what is essentially a glorified "extra player", but I'm sure it will find some use in latter waves where it can cover your ass a little. At the very least, it's on the upper grade of "tool" weapons, like the C4 !

-Survivalist rework : simple and effective. It does what it says on the can and I really like it. Should have been there since the inclusion of the perk really... But better late than never. I might be playing the Survivalist a little more often. A little.

-Arsenal Ascent : it's very fun ! Although I wish we had a few different "paths" chosen at random. It's also absolutely boring solo-wise. You should definitely play it with a couple of friends. Speaking of which, I kinda expected the mode to be fully PvP. As it stands, it doesn't really matter if you're the first to reach the last level... Which kinda ruins the very purpose of a "Gun Game" mod. But it's still interesting to readapt constantly to new guns, especially when you suddenly get a M99 AMR in your hands...

-Rig : as planned, I really love the map ! I believe the underground laboratory is unnecessary and really drags us back to that "overrun lab/military building" aesthetic that plagues far too many maps. Because otherwise, I really dig the vibe ! It really reminds me of early KF2 maps, when you toured across Europe in quirky locations (Catacombs obviously come to mind, but also Black Forest for example). I'll give it a rest now that I've completed 100 waves on it... But it's a good map !

Upvote 0
So from my testing, the part where the Reducto Ray can Mouse1 away all your problems has been fixed-ish, in that holding down the Mouse1 button now takes basically an entire clip to kill a Fleshpound. OK, that's a start.
However, tap-firing the weapon like the old-school Microwave Gun still does that thing where damage lingers after the beam model technically stops firing, meaning you can tap-fire Zeds to death in half a mag.

Oops.

I still don't get the logic behind a debuff that's meant specifically for Demo/Bug/Zerk when those are the perks that would arguably need them the least. Or why this weapon's so good when compared to the Headhunter, which is a support tool for headshot perks that is good at neither of those things.

-HRG Headhunter : Absolutely atrocious and unfun to play with. I guess the blast wave is quite powerful, but it's a chore to get all three darts planted (and you can only do so twice before reloading). The idea to have the altfire tied to a cooldown is also atrocious considering you already do abysmal damage with the primary. It really needs a full rework. I believe NOT having the cooldown would already be much better. Or make it less expensive so it can be truly used as a "tool" gun.
The issue with the gun applying bodyshot damage on the alt-fire instead of headshot damage is still at large (ha), so that's part of the problem.

But the weapon is so clunky that I can't imagine any Sharpshooters worth their salt taking it even if it were fixed: the people who can hit headshots reliably-ish are already the ones self-selecting for Sharpshooter and they don't need it; the weapon still requires some degree of accuracy to use but without a substantial reward so I don't see it making any converts.

And yes, blocking means that the alt-fire does basically nothing. It even re-shrinks the head!

I imagine some Survivalists will run it because that's what people do.

There is already too much in this game and too much of it is unpolished; please stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0